Rory Gallagher Fridays! (it's a thing now)

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Dr Improbable, Jun 15, 2018.

1. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yeah that's a guy who really knew how to wring the daylights out of anything he played. Check this out.... great stuff in the archives!

http://rorygallagher.com/

Taurus and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  2. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I don’t care how often Bullfrog Blues gets posted, it gets my pulse racing and makes me want to play my Gretsch.

3. Thanks for the link. Rory was a genius and an incredible gentleman.
    I saw him in late '79 and that show stands out as one of the best I've ever seen. Cheers, Barrie.

4. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    This guy was truly a natural..... full of raw power and just a real hard working guy. He stuck to his guns, did what he did. It doesn't look like he ever compromised what he set out to do. Sure, he had set backs, but we all do. Maybe his set backs were that much more formidable because of the level he worked from? We'll never know what he went through. Few people drive themselves the way he did... in the end it took its toll on him. He still gets the respect he gets because of the way he lived and played. That's a guy who earned it. I wish I had heard him live. He would literally wring the music out of anything he played, with anyone he was working with. If he were alive today he'd probably still be learning new things and pushing ahead. But there was never any question about who it was you heard playing and singing.

5. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Totally agree with @wonkenstein . I saw Rory live twice, simply awesome. This was in the early 70's. The concerts he played were just amazing events, he always had multiple encores, and the audience in the palm of his hand. I still have a ticket stub, admission price? around $1 :D
    My username on this forum is what it is just out of respect and to honour the G man.
    Cheers, rorygman :cool:

6. I read a story of a personal experience some years ago on another forum. It outlined a guy going to Rory Gallagher show, and thoroughly enjoying himself as one would expect. After the show him and his buddy stopped and a nearby bar for a pint. You guessed it, Rory was there. They chatted and exchanged pleasantries and what really reminded me of that story, was what he'd said about Rory. He said he was very down to earth, like you where an old friend. Not a second of his time did he give the impression that he was giving you the bums rush. He really make you feel like an equal.
    Now that would have been a real Rory memory. ;)
    Cheers, Barrie.

7. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Nut

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    Hey!!! It's Friday again .....

Rory! Rory! Rory!

8. mudshark60

mudshark60 Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2019
    California
    I'm new here, this is my favorite thread! I saw Rory in a small club in SF in 1979, he left everything on the stage. Been my guitar hero ever since.

9. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I like Mustang guitars, and i like Rory G. Put the two together...

rorygman and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  10. Rory was a true showman. Talent beyond words and a gentleman to boot.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Dr Improbable and rorygman like this.
  11. It's Friday again … Time for another Rory tune. ;)

Cheers, Barrie.

rorygman and Dr Improbable like this.
  12. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I always forget 'till Saturday!

Taurus, rorygman and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  13. Dr Improbable

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
  14. A very high energy Rory in that vid. Reminds me a lot of when I saw him in '79. Only difference was everyone was on their feet.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  15. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    He left an amazing body of quality recorded work. His family has been looking after it. His brother is always second guessing the catalog, wondering if Rory were still alive, would he need to check it over just one more time for the quality that he always demanded and expected of himself. Only a handful of people ever really get to make a living playing the guitar at the level and intensity where he plied his trade. A much smaller handful actually stuck to their guns and did it the way they thought it should be done. I think that's the part of Rory Gallagher that's kept us all interested for so long. In that respect maybe he's not really gone. He just went home.

16. Rory was a man who lived by his own code of ethics. His interviews prove that and he never compromised. Rory reportedly turned down an offer to join the Rolling Stones, forging ahead with his music and style. He was honest to himself and his audiences.

Cheers, Barrie.

17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Guitar Player Magazine (remember them?) had interviewed him.... even in print he was the gentleman and explained himself quite well, right down to why he preferred single coils over humbuckers, but if you needed a more elegant type of sound he suggested that a Gibson might do the job just fine. So albeit subtle, there's an example of him giving the interviewer his reasoning simply because the question was asked. Probably just part of his work ethic and ethics in general, right? No bull there, just his experience.

There are mentions of Rory turning down an offer from the Stones after Mick Taylor left, some of that turns up in his general bio on the Rory Gallagher website. They asked Roy Buchanan as well, but he didn't take the offer, either. It sure does makes sense.....sure, the Stones were making great money then and they still are..... so money wasn't going to be the deciding factor.

18. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    My playlist last night... fell out with someone close yesterday. For how long, I don’t know.. but Rory’s a genius the master of the blues

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice