Rogue 12-string acoustic

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Rogue 12 string acoustics are back to $80 with free shipping again on MF.

At this price, we can buy more than one ... almost.

Changing strings on 12 strings guitars are such a pain in the azz, that I would rather sell the guitar and buy a new one than re-string it. ha ha

In fact, that's what I've been doing. When it comes time to re-string, I sell it for what I paid. At this price, people think they're getting a bargain used. The last buyer asked me why I was selling for so cheap. ha ha. In my mind, I'm thinking, "The internet is your friend, my friend." ha ha

Instead of re-stringing, I just buy another one. ha ha ha

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have an Ibanez 12 string. It’s a nice guitar, but I rarely play it because I hate to tune it.

3. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Likewise, until very recently I had a Fender 12 string acoustic, painful to tune, painful to re string, painful to play , kept it in e flat to reduce the tension on the bridge, have to use a capo on it most of the time.

Sounded fantastic but it got less and less playtime, and it got sold.

Six strings is enough for me going forward.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I think I'm gonna snag the Rogue 12. Then when it comes time to re-string, I'll sell it. ha ha.

I have a cheapo Fender acoustic that needs re-stringing. Just ordered a set of MG bronze strings from MF. $2.71 with free shipping. ha ha.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  5. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I was using Ernie Ball slinkys, cost 4 times the price of slinky six string pack.
    Maybe that's just here, but ridiculous prices.

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  6. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I had an old early 80's Martin, made in Korea, Sigma that I had bought new. Kept it until a few years ago when I got my new Yamaha FG-820-12 twelve string. After getting the Yamaha I gave the Sigma to a friend and neighbor. Would never be without an acoustic 12 string. I see no big deal in tuning or restringing them. Play it fairly often. I find it fun to play. But then I do play far more acoustic than electric and a twelve string is great for a lot of songs.

7. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, I love 12-strings. The tones are magical. I just don't have the patience to re-string. Gotta set aside an hour or so. ha ha. Easier for me to sell and buy a new one. ha ha

8. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Agreed, a 12 string acoustic sound is heavenly , no doubt. And if you play a lot of acoustic, it's definitely worth the effort.

9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Hour?? I can do a regular guitar/Strat in less than 5 minutes, and about 10-15 for 12 string....

10. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, regular Strat in 5 minutes.

12 string would definitely take me more than 10-15 minutes. It would take that long just to properly tune it let alone re-string.

11. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Tune it down to C, that's how Jimi tuned his.

Search for "Hear my train a'comin'."

12. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Can you play Swedish black metal on it?

13. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Actually, the 12 strings sound amazing with a little mega distortion cranked up. :)

I have a few things in mind. But this 12 string is on my to-do list.

I have three guitars up for sale. If I can move those, then I'm good to go on more goodies. :)

14. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've never wanted a 12-string because my acoustic mainly gets used around campfires and six strings is hard enough to keep in tune next to a fire in the cold Canadian summer nights. Twelve would be asking for trouble!

But I was at my cousin's place last month and his acoustic is a 12-string and I played it and the sounds it makes are really appealing. I might actually consider grabbing one if I can get a good enough deal on it. I just won't take it camping.

15. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

True dat. 12 bangers aren't good for places where it'll go out of tune often. But at home, it rings beautifully. I love them.

16. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Burnin some Nitro...
    I tried them but wasn't a big fan. Rarely does my 6 string get played.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  17. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I've got an old Alvarez 12 string. Its a nice guitar. I paid $20 for it on Offerup. I need to play it more.

18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    The only 12 string I ever had was an old Harmony that my Mom bought me back when I was 16 or so... My Mom doesn't even play, but she's ALWAYS been OBSESSED with how 12 strings sound... At the time she told me, "Once you play one of those, you'll never to back to a 6 string..."
    Which isn't exactly correct, but it DID make a hell of an impression on me...
    I LOVE the sound of a 12 string, but I don't seek them out...

19. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    Here's an interesting development. I've been bragging up my Rogue 12-string until tonight. This post made me break it out and play it, but I had a strange, nagging feeling as I was taking it out of the gig bag that the bridge was lifting. Sure enough, it is lifted and taking some of the soundboard with it.

Good thing for Musician's Friend Silver Coverage. This covers any guitar for a period of two years against manufacturer's defects. After an interesting phone call, they will be replacing the guitar with a new one. Let's hope that it sounds as good as the old one.

20. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I guess this is the difference between an $80 guitar and an $800 guitar. It's also why I'm hesitant on buying a pre-owned acoustic guitar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice