(Rock) Music Theory - a great resource!

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by grizmit, Apr 10, 2018.

1. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    I know this forum has a diverse membership when it comes to musical backgrounds. From beginners to grizzled vets and pros, we all like to noodle, play, and even write by ear, which is great! But IMHO, a little bit of theory goes a long way to help progress in both knowledge and skill when it comes to playing guitar and writing music. I still have tons to learn myself. Certainly no expert. My music education was long ago, and these days, I mostly try to remember all that I had forgotten. Which is how I discovered Rick Beato's Everything Music youtube channel.

I think Rick's approach to theory is great, mainly because he's also a guitarist and fan of rock music like so many of us (also jazz and other genres). So among his traditional, more educational videos, are also a series of great song analysis vids he calls "What Makes This Song Great?" In that series, he breaks down various components of a popular song and explains everything both from a theoretical perspective, and also just as a fan. It's a great and engaging way to pick up on some theory and production basics and also just to hear the deconstructed/isolated tracks of some great songs.

Here are a couple of those examples followed by a live "Music Theory Basics" video he just released yesterday. I wouldn't say it's for beginners (most of his videos requires some fundamentals), but he covers some building blocks for music theory that are worth checking out. Anyway, just thought I'd share for anyone interested!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Shaytan, Treynor, RoyalWe and 3 others like this.
  2. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
  3. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Griz,
    thanks for posting this up. This kind of tutorial/study is what I've been seeking in my mind, but never found any vids that captured it. But this is great....just watched all three and plan to check more of his vids out.

grizmit, Treynor and dbrian66 like this.
  4. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I watched his review on a Steely Dan song last week. Good stuff, although I don't understand a lot it. lol

5. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Yeah I’m with you. Something about theory that my brain has a hard time grasping, kinda like math when I was a kid. But once I reached 10th grade and got the right teacher, it started clicking to the point where I was one of the top students in my class.
    I’m hoping for the same results here with theory. I like that this guy is at least applying it to songs I’m familiar with. Goes a long way.

grizmit, surfrodguitar and wes0121 like this.
  6. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I’m trying to learn it, bit by bit. I was never great at math. I took music theory for non music majors at University my toughest semester and I got a D, so I took it again!

grizmit and ElRey67 like this.
  7. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    No problem @ElRey67! Glad you find it useful. My daughter is taking AP music theory in high school. She recently corrected me when I referred to a "tonic" as a "root." So Rick has been helping me get back up to speed on the basics. :D

And the "great song" series is just a fun watch. Much of the theory goes over my head as well, but his enthusiasm and love for music is contagious. And the production analysis is really cool. Great player too!

ElRey67 likes this.
  8. MikeyH

MikeyH Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Hawaii
    There was a post about Boston that included a Beato More Than A Feeling analysis link, either here or at Strat-talk. I think he's a great teacher/videographer/player. Wonder how he isolates the parts in these? He clearly knows theory, and can hear it being applied in recordings. I make the tonic/root mistake often. Most of my friends have no clue what a "tonic" is. (Key center a melody/progression resolves to I believe).

ElRey67 and grizmit like this.
  9. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    I'd like to know how he got the master "tapes" as well. I actually wondered if he was using the digital files from Rockband/Guitar Hero games etc. I know some guys have posted iso tracks on youtube using that. But the whole mix? That's another story. Maybe he's just well-connected?

As far as root vs. tonic, my daughter gave me a great refresher... Both terms basically refer to the "base note" of either harmonic intervals (chords) vs melodic intervals (scales). Whereas the root is the note a chord is built upon (e.g. A for Amaj or Amin), the tonic (or "perfect unison" in interval names) is a scale degree name which simply represents the first degree (note) of a given scale. They overlap sometimes and are often the same note when breaking down a song's key, but technically not the same thing.

To me, that sums up a lot of the problems with understanding music theory. The jargon makes the concept more confusing than it really is.

Edit:
    And yes, to your point, resolving to the tonic is the goal for melody in most western music. Just sounds good to our ears!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    ElRey67 likes this.
  10. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015