Riffstation Pro is now a free download for Mac/Windows

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by txflood, May 17, 2018.

1. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
  2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I downloaded and tried it. I wanted to make sure it was free because the web page says "Free Download" which is not often the same thing as "Free." I mean you download the "free download" and find it crippled or time limited or something or it fails to work after so many days. This seems to be free as in free.

Anyway I tried two songs: 4th of July by Shooter Jennings, which is basically an easy four-chord (mostly) song and also "Between a Laugh and a Tear" by John Mellencamp. The software missed on the Jennings song only one chord which is a single strum. On the Mellencamp song it seems pretty OK, especially the beginning which took me some time to figure out. I do think some of the chords are simplified because I think the Mellencamp song has some sus chords IIRW.

I do like all of the features. I especially like the filter option. If you hit the "low" setting you get essentially the bass notes.

I think the software was $34.95 but "free" is even a better deal.

So check it out.

Thanks, txflood.

3. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Looks Great, but I'm not getting the download??? I will try some more, looks interesting..............willhowl

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I had no problem. Maybe I broke the internet.

Btw, after some more testing I find that it is pretty good with picking out the chords but seems to do just the "simpler" chords. For example, it didn't pick out some of the blended chords in the Mellencamp song; for example it deciphers an E/G# as either a straight E or a G# chord, I forget which. Still pretty impressive, free or not.

Kenneth Mountain and willhowl like this.
  5. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Well, I still can't get it downloaded.........I'm running Win7,sp1....maybe that's it?????......My PC is not state of art, but not total crap, either?????.........Arrrggghhhh!......................willhowl:confused::confused::confused:

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Wow! I just downloaded it and as a test loaded the original demo track of Always Always from the Hey, Let's Go Now! album. (I figured I might recognize errors there)

The results we quite good. Key and chords.

The only "error" -- and this likely could be corrected with filters -- is that chordal colorings by the keyboard were interpreted as guitar chords.

Even this, though, can be seen as a positive because it would enable a learner to see what the group was doing tonally.

So.... THANKS!!! I'm going be be using this!!!

-don

7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Downloadad. Tried with Honky Tonk Man (easy) and Sultans of Swing (harder). Works pretty good. HTM was spot on. I think there are some small differences in how I play SOS, but it was pretty good.

I'm going to try it with Bach, Mozart, and Dizzie Gillespie. :)

8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I played with the isolation feature some. It, too, worked pretty well. And the mute function (The "M" in the S/M choice to the left of the "Width" control) allows for any track to become a backing track. Way cool! Old surf recording here I come. :D

-don

9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes there are some great options here, such as, as I said, the high and low functions, the metronome, the ability to speed up or slow down the song. I also liked how you get the thing to show you the actual chords and also how it can "count down" until the next chord interval.

Has anybody found any type of online manual or instructions yet?

I wonder why it is now free. Sometimes paid programs are abandoned , more or less, and then offered for free. Sometimes a program is updated and the older versions are then offered for free.

Of course there is always the opposite. A free program is discontinued and then you have to pay for it.

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Help > View Help

11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks. I found that but I was looking for more of a traditional manual. This one is broken up into individual Q&A segments but it would work the same and may, in fact, be faster if you are looking for just one topic.

Btw, for the accuracy of the chords I found this in the "help" section:

We’ve calculated the accuracy to be around 80% correct for pop/rock music but more complicated forms of music such as metal and jazz will throw it.

Refreshingly honest I think.

Davis Sharp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Finally got it downloaded, need to load a song in.......most of my saved stuff is from Youtoob.....only have a few CD's here now.......Hmmmmm.......willhowl

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    It will not read video files. You will have had to convert it to MP3s if you haven't already.

willhowl likes this.
  14. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Thanks, Ralph......I had thought that was the case.....So, I need MP3 files.....ok.......

I just blew the download last night, I guess....went better today....I plan to drop in a CD, Eric Clapton "Chronicles", and see what happens....Thanks R, and also txflood........this looks very promising..............willhowl:D

15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    sorry I meant it will read audio files and CD tracks, not just MP3 files. But still no video files such as Youtube videos ... unless you later convert them into some sort of audio file.

16. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Nut

Apr 18, 2014
    ———-
    Do you know if it reads FLAC files?

17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes ... according to the Help file.

Riffstation supports most audio file formats: WAV, Ogg, MP3, Flac, WMA, M4A, MP4, AAC, AIFF and AIF

Be aware that DRM protected files cannot be loaded into Riffstation.

eaglesgift likes this.
  18. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
  19. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    It actually works surprisingly accurately, I've tested a couple songs from my library with mixed results and then tried the latest recordings from my musical group and, well, for the most part it picked the right chords! It does present some funky chord placements, but it does some very neat stuff. I'll surely find it useful to pick by hear some songs.