Reusing pots and switches

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DUSTER, Feb 11, 2019.

1. DUSTER

DUSTER Squier-Meister

May 2, 2014
    Greensburg, Pa.
    How often or how many times do you reuse pots, switches, etc.? I try to if they still work fine but I have some pots that have been soldered so many times they look like chewing gum on the back.....lol. I think it's time for a few new ones.

2. MadJack

MadJack Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2018
    Candler, FL
    I rewired two guitars this past weekend. One needed new pots, as I didn't have any extra 250KΩ pots. The other the pots are in their third guitar. It works just fine. I do remove as much of the old solder with a solder sucker whenever I remove them.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I just put pots in my newest partscaster that looked as old as me. They work fine.

4. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Just today I put some new but recently used quality pots and 5 way switch in a guitar. What a mess. Next time I'll completely desolder and clean all of the lugs and start as fresh as possible. Or just buy new pots.

Or learn to use less solder in the first place. :confused:

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I use a multimeter to check the pots. If they work, I re-use them. One of our members posted a trick where you can use a wire to ground the vol pot to the case (instead of folding it back) and then solder all the other ground wires to that. Makes for a better looking case and reduces the chances of frying the pot.

wonkenstein and dbrian66 like this.
  6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    If I am rewiring a guitar, I always use new pots. They really are pretty cheap to buy. But I keep old ones that I know are good in the parts bin in case I need one unexpectedly.

7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    While I do have a set of Alpha pots for spares that a member here gave me and he said he removed them when he got the guitar new.

If I'm building a new loaded guard ,then I'm gonna use new parts ,or find a deal on a loaded guard that has what I want already in it.

But I see nothing wrong with using good parts either :0)

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I haven't had any fail me yet but when I do work on them and reuse the pots I use a solder-sucker. It keeps them cleaned up nice.
    th.jpg

9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    If they work, I use them. Get some soldering braid or a solder sucker -or heat it up well and drop it on the table. The excess solder will splash right off.

10. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    My mistake was to install them in the guard partially wired up from the last installation. Since I was going to wire them in a different way I should have cleaned them first.

I was also impatient. I was out of solder wick to remove the solder from the body of the pots.

I like the idea of heating them up and dropping them on the table. I'll make sure that I'm wearing pants when I do that. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    This technique never occurred to me, but it ably fits my longtime personal motto, "Brute Force and Ignorance".

Thanks, man. :)

dbrian66, wonkenstein and so1om like this.
  12. MadJack

MadJack Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2018
    Candler, FL
    Don't do this on a bare dinner table! Your wife might not appreciate it too much! :mad:

so1om likes this.
  13. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Righto. I think I'll try it in the garage. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice