return policy

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I suppose there is a first time for everything. At least it was a first for me, perhaps it has happened to you.

Situation: A fella drove about 60 miles and bought a guitar from me. He was tickled, I was tickled. Hated to sell it but she does not fit into my downsizing to my "must have 4".

Two days later he contacts me asking to return it and of course get a refund. He said there was (still) nothing wrong with it. "It just isn't a Fender. I don't feel right playing it." This fella was a beginner to the point of not knowing a single chord. Talk about a cork sniffer with buyer's remorse!

I thought about his request a while. I decided I could resell the guitar for the same price without too much trouble sooooooo...I have a new old guitar day today. Mrs. Lover, who used some of the cash a few days ago taking our granddaughter back-to-school shopping, wasn't has relaxed about it. She said a person wouldn't buy a widget at a yard sale then want to return it a few days later. I agree.

Have you ever requested to return a working guitar to a private seller? Had a buyer ask to return one? looks-fine-for-me.jpg

2. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    I never take something back that i sold, but i'm always open about an item's history

Davis Sharp and dbrian66 like this.
  3. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I haven't had to sell one yet that day is coming I have 14 now and some are living in cases dues to lack of space. I always assumed that kijiji (et al) are "all sales final". If I find any defects after the sale I consider that my fault for not checking enough. One of My artcoders I bought with some fairly sizable divots in the 15th and 17th frets. Wanting to return just because the cork smells squiery instead of fendery, I'd be tempted to say "too bad".

4. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Nope nope nope. All sales final. I am totally honest about what I am selling and don’t ever expect to see the buyer again.

surf green, -r3-, Jim Belaye and 3 others like this.
  5. I sold a Boss equalizer to a guy. A week later he wants to return it claiming there's a hum, and decided to buy a new one instead.
    He was decent about the entire situation and him being retired like me, I gave him a break and refunded his cash. That's the only time I've ever done that.
    We had an old lady buy a pocket book at one of our garage sales for a quarter. She returned a week later and wanted her quarter back, claiming she'd read it before.
    I'm thinking, sure she did. She had all week to read it … but we gave her a quarter back.

Cheers, Barrie.

6. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    That is a Winnipeg level of cheapness right there. :p:p

7. I've never been there. Don't expect to either. I'll consider myself warned if I ever do go.
    Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    If there was a issue with the guitar I would work with him, but if its just because it isn't a Fender then pfffttt sorry Charlie. Sounds like to me a buddy told him to get his money back. He was happy with it to begin with.

Davey, oneLOCOman, Loin Lover and 2 others like this.
  9. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I know that I'd prefer to buy a Squier from anyone on this board than from a pawn shop or a random seller. We take good care of our guitars here.

BlueSquirrel, drewcp, kenneth and 3 others like this.
  10. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    In such a situation, I agree to refund minus 15 percent if they've caught me on a good day.

A change of mind for a bad reason involves a real cost. The mind changer won't be skating out of sharing that cost.

11. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    As far as I'm concerned... all sales are final. That also applies to me. I've been burned on 2 amps before on Craigslist. Lesson learned. I bought a 30 watt Marshall for $30 that I didn't test out first, that didn't work. It did have a nice 10" Celestion in it and it made a nice speaker cab. The other was a trade in a parking lot for a Vox amp that was blown. I ended up throwing it in the trash so I wasn't reminded of my mistake. Buyer beware. That was a long time ago, but it still applies... to CL, Letgo, Offerup and FB Marketplace... all sales final. Let the buyer beware.

12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    As a general rule of thumb, I wouldn’t take a guitar back. But I might take one back of the situation called for it. Sounds like you did the “nice” thing. So good on you!!

Loin Lover and Eddie like this.
  13. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    you guys are all absolutely correct - a deal is a deal, and dude got exactly what was advertised... but that buyer was brand new player buying his first guitar and then, for whatever reason, felt like he made a mistake. You showed him compassion and allowed him out of it -- that was flipping awesome of you!!

We ALL know that the Squier he got was actually a great choice for a beginner, as they are (generally) low cost and high quality - and dude may learn that as well some day ... but let him get something he won't feel any regret over, so he keeps at it and learns to play. Who knows, if he felt like he "got stuck" on a deal, he might sour on the whole idea :(

That is really the key point here -- go put that Squier back up for sale, and reap the profit of all that good Karma you sowed! good on you, @Loin Lover ! :)

14. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    [/QUOTE]we had an old lady buy a pocket book at one of our garage sales for a quarter. She returned a week later and wanted her quarter back, claiming she'd read it before.
    I'm thinking, sure she did. She had all week to read it … but we gave her a quarter back.[/FONT]

Cheers, Barrie.[/QUOTE]

Wowow!!! That's the cheapest cheap I've heard.
    Nuts!!!

Best1989 and dbrian66 like this.
  15. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Thanks fella. I need some 5W Bugera Karma tossed my way!

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Your asking like you are regretting giving him his money back. I do not think he should have gotten his money back. But have no regrets your a stand up guy doing what you did. Kuddos to you!

17. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I have been called every ugly type of frugal & cheap word in the dictionary. Even I would not attempt a "quarterback sneak".

18. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Thanks fellas. I have a never before felt SBBR (seller's buy-back remorse). Just kiddin', thought I'd make up a new condition.

oneLOCOman and dbrian66 like this.
  19. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    The closest I come to that was with an amp..It was a Gibson transformerlesss..No output tranny.. If you turn it on without the speakers connected or a short in the speaker wires it was instant doom for the output transistors..Happened twice with me..
    I got it up and running and sold it to a young guy along with detailed instruction about that issue..
    A short while later he brought it back, DEAD..He had changed the speakers out and put a nice pair of Fenders in it..I knew what had happened and he agreed that it was his fault..
    I refunded an amount that the Fender speakers were worth and kept the dead amp..

Loin Lover and dbrian66 like this.
  20. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Wow! awkward. I would not have done it.

I regret buying things all the time, I shelf it, give it away, toss it, or re sell it. Never in a million years would think to try and return it. Private sale that is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice