Requesting name suggestions.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by jamesgpobog, May 22, 2020.

1. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Meister

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    First, I want to thank the 2 gentlemen who commented on a teak guitar with a couple of quick names, the most important one being "BattleCaster">

I cannot go into any detail because the details ain't worked out yet, but it looks like the ship is going for the deck teak guitars as high dollar fundraisers.

So what I'm asking for is some suggestions for names for the guitars. One strat, one telecaster. I really like 'Battlecaster" but I'd like to see what others can come up with. This is not a done deal yet, but is looking very good.

Factors to consider:
    Battleship Iowa, BB61
    USS Iowa
    Teak wood from the main deck
    A strat
    A telecaster

I made a stupid little concept jpg of the tele. The circles are plugs that cover the hold down bolts, and the black is the rubber caulking between the boards. Obviously, that would not be the case on a guitar, so it's simulated with ebony inlay.

Battlecaster mockup.jpg

JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hard to beat battlecaster imo
    What ever you do with the name, I think the models should have a number similar to the ship.

Battlecaster BC61 tele
    Battlecaster BC62 strat

Or swap the names/numbers

Idk

3. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Iwo Jamma?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Ya beat me to it...LOL How about Teaky, kind of a play on the name given to the crappy lil SS amp that John Deacon built and Brian May used with great success for certain tones - the Deacy. Made from parts Deacon allegedly found in a dumpster/trashcan, and integral to certain tones May used.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Telly McTellface and Stratty McStratface

LutherBurger and Davis Sharp like this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    “Halsey”

Met his widow in their Palm Springs home in the 70’s. An incredible experience.

Guitar Cat likes this.
  7. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    It is a Battlecaster, models BB61T, and BB61S.

The inlays on the fretboard should be the shape of the shells.

I would like to see an outline of the Battleship with official logo on the headstock.

jamesgpobog, MI redneck and -r3- like this.
  8. metalmerchant

metalmerchant Squier-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    cornwall UK
    "Shellcaster"
    Plenty of shells cast from a battleship.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  9. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    I like the use of the ebony to suggest the caulking between boards. There's another wood that you might consider as well, is used for ornamental purposes and I know it is used in guitars sometimes. Might be significant to many. Peltogyne purpurea, or Purpleheart.

SubSailer671 and MI redneck like this.
  10. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    My $0.02 worth:
    Instead of a black PG, get a piece of real brass kick-plate salvaged from a door, and cut one out of that.
    Don't get a cheap modern one, because they're usually brass-coloured anodized aluminum.

It'll be shiny at first, and then age into a dignified patina.

I dunno... to me, Purpleheart wood always looks like something that's been stained with grape Kool-Aid. Just too un-natural, even if it is naturally that colour.
    I think alluding to the medal would not be enough to make up for the way it would detract from the overall appearance.
    But ... if you went and made a brass and Purpleheart inlay, even an abstracted rendering of it, that would be pretty cool.

A Telecaster seems more appropriate than a Strat, because it has a no-nonsense "git 'er done" sort look to it. Strats are too pretty to be compared to a battleship.

jamesgpobog and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Battlecaster is excellent.

I submit Stratoblaster and Shellecaster for your consideration.

jamesgpobog and MI redneck like this.
  12. jamesgpobog

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Iowa was Halsey's flagship I think for 1 day right around the surrender time.

13. jamesgpobog

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I like that brass idea. There's brass bar stock on board, don't know about sheet, but maybe...

14. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    You could even sell a bag of powdered bug juice to polish the brass. The red works best!

jamesgpobog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice