Relic faking..some going a bit too far?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by sbalfor, Jan 10, 2018.

1. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    Fake relic-ing = The practice of bullying guitars into looking older than they are .

Its fake news !

Gem23, Merv_j, squier-esquire and 3 others like this.
  2. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    It's been going too far for years now. What are you gonna do? Put your head down and play, ignore the other guy...

squier-esquire and Davis Sharp like this.
  3. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I reckon if anyone was gonna know where a well played guitar had wear marks, Mayer would be high on the list. Ya think?

Wizzer and surf green like this.
  4. Bailey1214

Bailey1214 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Quezon City
    Yep. Some relics are well done, not only for looks but also get well worn in feel, like shoes that have molded to you feet. Some look like someone had too much time and sandpaper(and maybe a beer or two).

Rollmeaway likes this.
  5. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Part of the problem is that most modern guitars don't age the way old guitars did. All the playing in the world won't result in the look we've become accustomed to. Ironically, the finish on cheap guitars built today will NEVER wear off, so what's a player to do if they want their guitar to resemble their hero's? Had guitars in 1958 been painted with today's advanced polymers, nobody would want to "relic" their guitar.

6. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Squier-Meister

I'd say even old guitars don't age that way either.

This is a genuine 1966 Tele that I did a bit of work on a couple of years ago

[​IMG]

This guitar has been gigged very regularly, and has real wear. As you can see, it is in remarkably good nick.

[​IMG]

Mind you I relic'ed my Baja the other week, it fell out of the trunk of a car and the thick gig bag didn't entirely protect it!

[​IMG]

7. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Mike Watt gave Nels Cline this beauty of a Jazzmaster. What a gift! [​IMG]

8. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    As far as manufacturers go, the relic trend is pretty much over. I saw a Phil McKnight vid he did at Namm 2017
    and he found maybe one or two reliced guitars on display. I remember seeing a Joe Strummer Tele at a local music shop and the relicing on it looked overtly intentional. Never really understood the trend myself. If you want a guitar that will relic over time, nitrocellulose finish is the way to go.

jackdragbean likes this.
  9. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    That Strummer one didn't make sense to me when I saw it. I think it was intentional to make it "badly" reliced, since it's mass-produced and not a Custom Shop model.

10. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I was just on the MF site and some of the Fender custom shop relics are very badly overdone.

11. squier-esquire

squier-esquire Squier-holic

May 27, 2012
    USA
    There’s a guy on YouTube (8 ball customs I think), he builds Les Pauls with nitro, ages them to make look more played and authentic. Not really reliced. If that makes sense.

12. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    If badly reliced was their intention, I think they nailed it.

Wizzer likes this.
  13. sbalfor

sbalfor Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    relic.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I think they went too far on this one. Looks more like a barn door than a guitar.
    A guitar built from reclaimed wood.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. sbalfor

sbalfor Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    Over relic.jpg

$800 dollars for the guitar, $3000 for the rusted hardware!

15. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Here is my authentically relic’d Ibanez Iceman. I don’t know if it’s from player wear or a very angry person who own this guitar that liked to beat on it or he was just very enthusiastic in his playing (throwing it in the air and not catching it).

IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1503.JPG

16. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    What hole of water did they “wash” those in? Man, I know guitars age but these guys look more abused than road-worn!

17. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I have two reliced instruments. A '72 P-Bass and a '74 Ric 4001.

I must suck at relicing, because it's taken decades and they're still not as reliced as a lot of new instruments...

Davis Sharp likes this.
  18. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    i still think that that is one of the coolest guitars i have ever seen

surfrodguitar likes this.
  19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    I recently went into a shop near where I live. There was what appeared to be an old worn Strat hanging up for 5k. I asked the guy what year it was and he said it was fairly new and had been reliced.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:<<<<<------------- my response :)

20. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Maybe it lets the guitar breathe better...not being fettered with all that paint?

No I'm not serious...