Relic faking..some going a bit too far?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by sbalfor, Jan 10, 2018.

1. sbalfor

sbalfor Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    Check out this article:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19666-last-call-if-you-relic-your-guitar

I was looking at some relic guitars on Pinterest and thought, " That looks more like drift wood than something I'd play!"

Do you think the relic craze is going a bit too far? When is a guitar "damaged goods" vs relic.
    Aged looks cool, but abused reflects the owners disregard for the instrument.

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

2. Gem23

Gem23 Squier-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Somerset, UK
    I agree.. I'm suspecting it becomes ornament status.

Rollmeaway and jackdragbean like this.
  3. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I like relics, but these are a bit too far. Who the hell is going to strap them on and walk on stage? There's only a select few that can walk that walk - Willie, Stevie, Rory.........

4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I've owned a few relics, and roadworn strats. For me it's always how they play.This is my keeper, plays too good to let go. image.jpeg

EGrier, Robb, Gem23 and 5 others like this.
  5. sbalfor

sbalfor Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    That looks like authentic wear ( and pretty cool.) Some of these fake relics look like they let them float in a bucket of seawater for a month!

EGrier, Gem23, calihick and 2 others like this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Funny. I'm one who has dissed the so-called "relic" thing unmercifully. But those two examples I really like.

Must be the hour. :D

-don

Rollmeaway and squier-esquire like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Best line from the article:

“There’s the irony: People who go to the trouble of giving their guitar a relic job want to appear genuine by faking authenticity.”

My thought from the getgo of relic’ing.

LDS714, Merv_j, surf green and 8 others like this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Pretty much sums it up !

Rollmeaway, jackdragbean and jefffam like this.
  9. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I think it is a trend and like all trends, I expect it will ebb and flow. I wonder how these "new old" guitars will be viewed years from now?

I don't have strong feelings about them either way. I wouldn't pass on a guitar I liked that looked like that but if I was in a gig situation, I would feel like a poser playing it.

I guess the appeal varies from person to person but when I look at an "authentic" relic, I think about the musical life it has lived and the "stories" it could tell. These relics have lived no life and have no stories to tell. I am attracted to the "road" part but these give you the "worn" without the "road".

10. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    Funny thing -- some guitars and basses look really cool "aged" (Strats, P basses) while other's don't (Les Pauls, Rickenbackers).

I like the look but do take issue with the "assembly line" road worn thing. However, I think if someone likes the antique look and wants to achieve it with their guitar, then go for it.

But there is a point where something just starts to look like junk. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    calihick, Rollmeaway and duceditor like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    So I just looked into the mirror. Is that a relic job that I'm seeing? Or is it actual and honest wear?

I shall consider it again tonight after a couple of beers and only then decide.

-nod

12. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Interesting relic-related story...

I saw an anti-relic thread on another forum a while back. Someone went on and on about how "You can't fake mojo!" and used John Mayer's beat-up black Strat as an example, saying something like, "You want it to look like that? Play it! That's how all that mojo got into his!"

The funny part is, Mayer's black Strat didn't end up that way because he got a '62 Strat and holed himself up in his room for 20k hours and then toured with it.

John Mayer walked into the Fender Custom Shop and literally reliced that guitar. They let him paint it, then he beat on it himself and instructed them how to wear it out and in what areas.

1515604710845.jpg

I love a good relic job. I've seen plenty of bad ones that I'd maybe say qualified as "abuse" for sure. But good ones...to me, I view them as a work of art. And art is subjective.

I think Picasso sucked because his paintings make no sense to me. But plenty of people dig them.

Some people love a good hot rod with a candy apple paint job, me included. But I think rat rods that are beat up and covered in primer and patina can be just as pretty to look at.

We've got about 60 guitars in the house, and when people come over, 90 percent of the time they go straight to the reliced ones. They admire the Gretsch that's candy apple red on the front and stark white on the back(which I think is the prettiest one we own), but almost without fail, they think the relics are the coolest-looking, even though they know I did it myself with methods and tools.

I don't know...different strokes, eh? If we all liked the same thing, the world would be a pretty boring place.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    EGrier, horax, bigjerm and 4 others like this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I just realized what works for me relic-wise. B T S. And it has to be consistent.

Any less wear than that and I find myself thinking "oh you poor, poor dear. was someone too lazy to care for you? was your owner a clumsy stoner?"

But B T S is different. I then find myself saying "wow, you really are a survivor! good for you!"

There are some beautiful example of that here. :)

Lucs2Yoko -- I'd play that Tele any time!

-don

14. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    The relic debate lives!

So John Mayers blackie is not authentic wear? But no one would question his ability or his "street cred" in deserving to play such a worn out guitar.

If an unknown young player walks up on stage to open for your favorite artist, rips the bag out of a tune that you love....are you dissing that player because you know for sure that the relic'd guitar, whose sounds you are enjoying, were not authentically produced?

Same scenario but this time the player is older, are you still dissing the player?

At the end of the day, its a connection to channel your music that only you can make. Isn't that why we buy and play guitars, to find the one or ones that speak to us and help us make music?

Personally, I love the feel and look of a relic guitar. Not all, some are waaaay overboard. But thats just me. I also have a beach wood and worn out looking dining table and other furniture. I like patina and rat rod looking cars too. So, to me its just a design, a taste but also a feel to the guitar that says, "play me man, I'm worn in and I feel good, like your favorite jeans, your favorite leather recliner".

Wizzer likes this.
  15. sbalfor

sbalfor Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    Any woman can put road damage on a dude! Sometimes you don't have to look in the mirror, just look across the kitchen table!

16. sbalfor

sbalfor Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    "Stressing" a guitar to get a used look is okay, but some of the guitars that you see have rusted up electronics and hardware, and water-damaged wood. I guess when you see maggots crawling out of the openings, you took the relic look a little too far.
    What ever floats the boat!

Gem23 likes this.
  17. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    the only way i would want to relic a guitar it would be to actually beat it to hell, just like the piece of junk mac demarco used to play
    mac7.jpg

surfrodguitar likes this.
  18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Nope. Not here. The smile I see there heals my wounds and puts balm even on my aging lines. :)

-don

Gem23 and Merv_j like this.
  19. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Before he got sponsored by Fender!

TheKurdtz likes this.
  20. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC