Rediscovered my CY99 Standard Strat...would love to learn more about it!

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by kniah, Jan 31, 2019.

1. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Looks beautiful but i cant imagine you dont have issues with the nut especially if there is overhang at the edges.. other than that id say roll with it..
    Welcome to your new home page.. :)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Interesting observation about the nut. What issues are you imagining? I haven't noticed but that could likely be because this is the only electric guitar that I have played (and the plastic nut broke very early in the guitar's life and I was a clueless high-schooler when I replaced it). I don't have another reference point and am not playing anything really technical yet. The nut primarily overhangs on the high/small e-string side.

3. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Well the first thing id be concerned about is individual string height.. check this by fretting the string at the third fret.. check the string clearance at the first fret.. the slightest of air gap should be noticeable (sorry i dont have a measurement right now but I'll search for one,, or a video) .. too much air and the string is most likely going sharp.. not enough air gap (string laying on first fret) and you will probably have a open rattle or buzz..
    Second concern is the width of the nut slots.. not wide enough would cause tuning issues,, too wide would again be a source of open string buzz or rattle..​
    And lastly is comfort.. i have noticed anytime i have a guitar with a overhang or sharp edges it is noticable and bothersome.. i have enough trouble playing guitar without the nut getting in the way or distracting me.. these are just some of the things that come to mind when i saw this nut.. (I've never seen a aftermarket roller nut before,, only the fender version).
    Is this a drop in or do you have to remove wood to install it?.​
    If your not having any issues dont sweat it.. if you are having tuning or buzz and rattle issues id go back to the standard style of nut..

4. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    squierbilly- thanks for the detailed post of things to look out for! I think the roller nut is a Wilkinson type, a predecessor to the current LSR nut. Unfortunately, it did require wood removal to install. I checked string height at the 3rd fret and it looks good - pressing on the string in its mid-span with my finger on the 3rd fret and the string moves just slightly before it touches another fret. There is some occasional open string buzzing on the thicker strings but I'm not able to hear it through an amp. Seems like I dodged a bullet since I wasn't thinking about any of those things when I installed it years ago! I think my reasoning at the time was that I wanted a metal nut since the plastic one broke so easily, not knowing of all the other options that were available (the internet wasn't quite where it is today back in Y2K).

5. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    BTW, I noticed the switch on my guitar is starting to get a little finicky. Is this Fender switch a worthwhile replacement or are there better aftermarket options? Should I replace the pots as well (and would 250K or 500K units be appropriate)? I read somewhere that Squier pots are typically linear whereas Fender pots are logarithmic...any truth to this? Thanks in advance!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...-5-way-pickup-selector-switch/361211000000000

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-250k-split-shaft-potentiometer/361266000000000