Rediscovered my CY99 Standard Strat...would love to learn more about it!

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by kniah, Jan 31, 2019.

1. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    This guitar probably shares a similar story to many Squier instruments. I bought this guitar new in high school (yes, I'm the first owner!), hammered out power chords on it for a year or two, then went to college and never pursued my career as a rock star...

But, I've recently gotten a second wind - 18 years later! A couple co-workers of mine decided to form a rock band and were too polite to say no to a beginner. I've been jamming the past few months a couple times a week and am having way too much fun.

I recently read up on how to do a basic setup and finally replaced the 18 year old strings. Still in love with the sunburst finish as much as the day I bought it. It's completely stock except for the roller nut, which I installed after the plastic nut broke back in high school (I think it was an ebay special).

While researching I stumbled across this site and would be grateful for any information that folks can provide on this guitar. Seems like it is a Yako (Taiwan?) made instrument. It's got 21 frets, a thinner neck (I roughly measured 41mm with a tape measure at the nut), and full size 1.75in thick body. Also has the 6-point trem.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the pickups, body wood type, and any recommendations on worthwhile upgrades. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    well, it certainly says "standard", and it should be 1999?

looks like it has a replaced nut perhaps?

Welcome to Squier-Talk, @kniah - I am sure someone who knows more will be along soon! :)

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    oh, and she's a beauty!

4. Strang_Banger

Strang_Banger Squier-Meister

Nice looking Squier, friendo! Play hella outta it!!
    And welcome to the forum.

5. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Agathis, ceramic pickups. If you're still that thrilled with it as you sound like, theres no upgrades that need to be done. Do yourself a favor, put your wallet away and get to know the guitar again, you may find you like it as it is. FWIW, here's my 99 CY

20190111_143024.jpg

6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Welcome to Squier Talk - Beautiful strat ! listen to ace - keep her stock until you get a little better ! ! amazing shape for a 20 year old - nice case also !

Eddie likes this.
  7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Nice guitar! I had a 2000 standard. 6 screw trem with ceramic pickups. It sounded great. I didn't upgrade the pickups or electronics because it sounded so good. My tuners were even original. I did replaced the nut to bone. I sold it last year when I thinned out. Play it a while and then you'll know if something needs to be upgraded.

Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    She's purdy.. keep her stock.

9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Beautiful guitar. Welcome to the forum. You'll love it here.

The Yako built Standards are fantastic. You have a rare instrument. No need to change pickups ... just enhance them.

The only mods that I would recommend:
    - split the coil in the humbucker and add a push/pull
    - add a 7 way switch

Man, the amount of tones you'll be able to obtain is unimaginable.

10. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Thanks for the warm welcome and compliments on the guitar! No worries, only upgrades so far have been a new case (old gig bag seemed inadequate since I'm actually taking it on the road regularly now) and a new strap. The guitar is not the weak link in this relationship! I have really enjoyed getting reacquainted and trying to learn as many different styles of music as possible. Looking forward to being a part of the community here and soaking up all of the info.

11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

kenny lol

12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hello, welcome and congratulations.. A CY Standard is a rather uncommon guitar. Some believe, and I subscribe to the theory that Yako built guitars are a cut above their contemporaries. The fit, finish and comfort level is superior.

Have fun.

13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Very nice ! Looks like it's been in a time capsule ;)

&. Welcome to the forum yo.gif yo.gif

14. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Man, that thing is clean! Lovely guitar there. I agree with all the rest of the “keep it stock” folks.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  15. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Nice axe! You have a lot of catching up to do with that baby! Leave it stock and rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth Mountain, Dave M and Eddie like this.
  16. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    Well for starters it's the first year for the standard, and it's uniqueness is that was only made for 2 years then they went to 22 frets........That baby is way to clean....!!!:)NICE !!

17. itsyourboyGru

itsyourboyGru Squier Talker

Jan 20, 2019
    Miami, Fl
  18. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Welcome!
    BTW Instruments which come out of the Yako factory have a good reputation!

19. VMamp

VMamp Squier Talker

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    99 Strat Standard Squires are listed as Hardwood with 45mm thickness bodies, 2000 onwards are lsted with 45mm thickness Agathis, 22 frets, etc. Looks like an Alder body.

I have a Squire Standad (CY 2000) but upgraded, a really nice player and my main gigging guitar.

20. kniah

kniah Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    I don't want to dwell on Agathis vs Alder too much regarding the body wood but was curious so I dug into it a little. Thank you for the post VMamp, I think your assessment is correct. I couldn't find many official photos of Agathis burst finish Squiers (all the new stuff seems to be Alder or Basswood) but here is what I found:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/agathis.80436/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://reverb.com/item/1315220-squ...dy-full-thickness-agathis-includes-neck-plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is an official one for Alder:

https://reverb.com/item/1961745-fen...h2krw5NEAQYByABEgJV7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1
    [​IMG]

Kenneth Mountain and squierbilly like this.