Red sparkle telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by whaynes3, Sep 24, 2018.

1. JVjunky

JVjunky Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    This is my red sparkle Tele. A very early Indonesian Standard from 1999 serial IC 99xxxxxxx.
    Not exactly a red sparkle but a much more subtle metallic red that I believe was called Red Frost and now quite a rare colour.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey

To anyone purchasing one of these 2019 Squier Bullet Limited Edition Telecasters I highly recommend fret end filing and fret polishing. I even needed to sand my neck heel with the paper I had on hand; 600, 1200, 2000. You may be able to see the blackened roughness of the unfinished heel on the first image. There was also some stray adhesive along the skunk stripe that needed to be taken down. No biggie. Just sayin'.

More importantly the harsh fret ends could prove distracting to the player. I tape off and file. There are many excellent video tutorials, readily available to all, that will demonstrate the process better than I can. Simple but not necessarily easy. Much like the best things in life. A little technique is required and, especially for a novice, a small chunk of time and calm patience to ensure you get it where you like it. I use a medium sized file, a small file, and then I dress the frets with the aforementioned sandpaper followed by a polishing with high-end car buffing compound and finishing polish (I owned a black car a few years ago). Each step works because my white rag was still picking up some gray debris at the polishing stage. As they say, now it plays like butter.

If any of you folks are looking for a NGD to lift your spirits, this Squier Bullet should do the trick.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I'd love to get one of those, change the neck to a brad paisley model offset V, and then do the pinstriping to look like his awesome red crook!

[​IMG]

mb doug, strat_strummer and txflood like this.
  4. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
  5. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    It's been scorching hot and humid this weekend so I had plenty of time to play this new Squier Bullet Telecaster. I just reset the pickups making this the third setup in a week. Most of it was tedious fretwork and jerking about with a pickguard install. Plays great now. I've been putting on old records and playing along. It's just about as good as I can get it. Fine guitar. Lots of fun.

Bullet with blackguard.jpg

mb doug, so1om and strat_strummer like this.
  6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Kenneth Mountain and Best1989 like this.
  7. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    They are said to be in stock, so if you're in the mood I think it's worthwhile. I'm happy with mine from earlier in this same lot.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    I like that black pickguard. Where did you find one to fit the Bullet?
    Im looking for one for my light green Bullet tele.

9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  10. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Looks like the Open Boxes have been sold. :(

11. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Was the $109 used or new Ken?

12. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks. I got it from Stratosphere for $9.99 plus shipping. It's a "fits USA/MIM" Black/Red/Black eight hole. I wanted a blackguard with no adjustment holes. It took a bit of doing: No Adjustment Holes Guard for Bullet. Stratosphere should have an eight hole with adjustment screws too. They shipped right away. The eight Bullet holes seem to be right where they should be.

Gip111, Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm on a short vacation for the long weekend. Chilling in the hotel room right now. What irks me is that if I had stayed home ... the hotel costs would have covered three of these: 2 red sparkle and 1 blue. ha ha

Everything is measured in the number of Squiers I "could" have purchased.

15. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    I wish someone would do a blindfold test for guitar necks and playing..Indian Laurel vs. Rosewood.

16. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I would too... I have done the blind Squier vs Fender test a few times....
    Done it by either playing them and having the others listen, and tell which one it is Fender or Squier, and by letting them play blindfolded, without letting touch anything but the strings and neck.

I'm pretty sure I know what the results would be of that test.

17. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Oh man, that's sad. Even sadder, I think the same way:(

Eddie likes this.
  18. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    20190728_152057.jpg

So I went looking on line yesterday and came across Musiclily on Amazon, $8 and some change, was on my front door this morning! This was a perfect fit, no cutting or drilling. Single ply like the old time Teles and no static, the white one was driving me nuts. Thanks for the input though.

Uncle Joe and John Slinger like this.
  19. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    That looks great !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice