Recommendation wanted - drum software

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by LDS714, Nov 25, 2017.

1. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Hi all!

Looking for recommendations for a good inexpensive (free would be ideal) software package to create drum loops with. Anyone using something extremely affordable, good sounding, easy to use and easy to program?

Thanks!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    What DAW are you using?

3. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
  4. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Actually, with the original Digitech Trio going for $49.99 right now...

5. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I tried reaper, Cubase, a couple others and I’m just not able to do midi drums. I have a Mac now and it’s virtual drummer is awesome, very powerful and lots of options, styles, ability to follow instruments. Of course the Mac was expensive.

ksandbergfl and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Is this included software with the OS, or something purchased separately?

7. seua

seua Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2014
    France
    once I tried a software called "Hydrogen", small but quite efficient... just my 2cts ;)

8. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    I was going this path. I wanted real sounding drums instead of a loop with the same fills at the same place. Then one night I was talking to a semi-well-known drummer I know who aside from real drumming would program their own drum tracks when their kit was in storage. Told me what a pain in the ass it was to make it sound more than a loop. I figured if it’s a pain the ass for them, and they know what they’re doing, it will be sheer drudgery for me. I figured it would be more fun learning drums so I found a used Roland electronic kit and it is a blast. Can actually so my own simple drums now.

optofonik and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    GB comes with the IOs. It’s free and the virtual drummer comes with Gb so no extra cost. The latest version lets u run two stereo drum tracks if you want. My Mac has 16 gb ram, current project has @40 tracks and it was starting to cough so I deleted some I wasn’t going to use. I’m not an expert but just starting to learn. I just picked up a Avantone mono speaker too which solved a lot of my missing mid range problems.

10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Additional Mac iOS options:
    If you already have an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad, GB is Free. If you have an old one laying around... single task it for GB using a BT keyboard and/or video adapter cable.

What I have suggested for some friends (who HAD to have a Mac), is to buy a Mac mini used (or on sale, when a new model comes out), and image the hard drive to a good SSD (Samsung), the price comes out to the cost of a new mini, but will last likely forever (especially if you use it only for the DAW). Now that most all computer devices are HDMI video, and USB devices, most people probably have a monitor/mouse/keyboard laying around they can use on it.

The trio is unique and a good practice tool, but it’s no BeatBuddy. Though the BB price of admission is higher (the mini starts at $99, and the full edition is $299).

The BB shines as a live performance tool, as well as a feed to a DAW (I have not done the later). Additionaly, the desktop component lets you create custom beats, and is easier to use than many standalone drum packages.
    I hadn’t bothered with it (but had installed it), but then a bud came over one day and played with it (while I did a Guitar mod for him), and made a half dozen songs for me I’d been meaning to make in a snap.

Drums are a conundrum (pun intended) to those of us who haven’t played them. I used the loops in my DigiTech RP units for years before getting the BeatBuddy, tweaking them for different songs.
    I’ve not used the BB to its full potential as of yet (or the Trio). :(

11. Chimey

Chimey Squier Talker

May 5, 2015
    USA
  12. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I have the first gen BB and it doesn’t get much use if any. I will probably list it on eBay soon.

13. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Snagged it last night. It seems to fit the bill nicely.

14. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Hmmmm... Would you mind pinging me with a price first?

15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  16. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

17. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Actually, the Melda plugins are great. I use their EQ quite a bit, it's great for sweeping to find resonances in drum tracks.

I ended up pulling the trigger on an original Trio as well.

surfrodguitar likes this.
  18. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    Heres another vote for GarageBand and its Virtual Drummer.

I have recorded, on and off, since 1983. I always struggled with getting drum tracks that were EASY to program and sounded GOOD. I bought keyboards with programmable drum patterns... the Alesis drum machines... a roland drum machine... Cakewalk's various attempts at "programmable" drums... nothing worked for me, it was always a pain. I always cringed when I had to do drum tracks.

in 2014 a friend talked me into getting a Mac Mini and installing GarageBand. The VirtualDrummer, alone, is worth the $469 I spent on the Mini. With some imagination and a few mouse clicks, I can create a drum track that sounds "alive" and like a real drummer was in my studio. I don't use anything else now... for ease of recording and getting music done... GarageBand is the way to go.

If you don't want to record on GarageBand -- you could still use it as a "drum machine"... make your drums tracks in VirtualDrummer and then send the stereo outs into your other recording device.. just an idea...

LDS714 and surfrodguitar like this.
  19. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Agree, GB and virtual drummer solves so many problems. Sometimes it can be a struggle to find the right pattern but there are so many options. And now the new version lets you run 2 tracks at a time so you can compress one more than the other and get more of a dirty sound.

LDS714 likes this.
  20. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks guys!

Finally got the Trio hooked up through a patch bay last night, and it seems to be working fairly well. Input to the guitar pedalboard is Y-ed out to the Trio, then the Trio output is going to a couple of mixer inputs.

I have Garageband on a Macbook, so I'll play around with it as well.

surfrodguitar likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice