Recieved my first Squier, a Bullet Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Atlen, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Guitar strap came in the mail today:
    20190730_182332.jpg

squi guy, Best1989, brians and 2 others like this.
  2. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    That guitar and strap looks sharp !

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Afrika61 likes this.
  3. Hektor

Hektor Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Europe
    If I may... Does the fretboard have a strong smell of newly sawn wood ?

4. squi guy

squi guy Squier-Meister

Jan 5, 2019
    North Canton,Ohio
    That looks absolutely fantastic, hope you got it where you like it... feel-wise!!

5. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    I read your thread regarding the smell of the fretboard, but mine only smells like lemon after I put lemon oil on it :)
    Can't remember if I noticed a specific smell before i oiled it, but the neck gave a feel of fresh wood wich is why I felt an urge to oil it. Scent could be a part of that feeling.

Hektor likes this.
  6. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Thank you :) I have a black three-ply scratchguard coming my way from china too, might take some time before it arrives, but think it might look good.

Thank you. I think I'm there now. It feels and sounds different from my two other electric guitars so it took a little time to get used to, but I really like it now. They can't all sound and feel the same, then I might as well just have one guitar :)

brians likes this.
  7. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    I think is good to have different sounding guitars, looks nice, I want one just like it.

8. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Me too

9. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    It's great how you went from not impressed to starting to love this Bullet, it happens!! When you get your pickguard don't be stressed if all the screw holes don't line up. They seldom do. Just preparing you ......It's an easy fix though

10. johntrem

johntrem Squier-Meister

Obviously, you haven't taken the film off the scratchplate. Try using artist's linseed oil on the neck. You could also try Tung oil or Tru oil. Google it. Give it a chance. They can be nice guitars. A set of vintage split shaft tuners from China also helps.

11. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    I didn't take the plastic off for a while in case I wanted to return it. If you read my later posts I did remove the plastic, sand and oil the neck and headstock when I replaced original strings. The scratchy frets got a lot better after playing it for a little bit. I have come to liking it now.

I recieved the black pickguard I ordered, but have not fitted it yet. I have ebay tuners and bone nut coming my way too. Will put them on when it is time to replace the strings.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=233236177059

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=333263939857

12. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    A small update.
    Recieved the nut and the string trees a while ago, tuners arrived today so I gave it a try.

Tuners fits perfectly and covers all the old screw holes and feels better than stock hope the keep the tuning well...

String trees was an easy replacement, is a bit higher than stock but seems to be good.

The nut however wasn't so easy to replace. It was glued in well so it broke when I removed it and it took with it a tiny piece of the fretboard. The piece was glued to the nut, took it off and glued it back into place and fitted the new nut.
    When I tightened the strings I noticed some buzzing from the D and G strings. Took a closer look at the nut and saw that it was straight and did not follow the curving of the fretboard. I shimmed it with a piece of paper to make it playable, but the E strings are way too high and there is still some buzz from the D string...
    Will have to sand it so it curves with the fretboard while waiting for a new one to arrive.

Any suggestions to wich nut to get? Ebay-links are preciated.

Some pics:
    20190902_215543.jpg 20190902_215528.jpg 20190902_215624.jpg

Viking, fadetoz, Rey08 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Asked for nut suggestions on the Squier owner Facebook group and was suggested a Tusq XL BQL-5042-00. Hoping this one will fit without issues...

14. Viking

Viking Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2010
    Winnipeg,Mb Canada
    The new tuners and string trees look really nice. The Tusq nut should work out fine but might need a little sanding on the bottom to get the height of the slots right. Hope it works out for you.

15. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    I have that particular nut on my Bullet. I think it was a curved bottom when my guitar had a flat shelf slot, but I made it work. That, along with the Graphtech string trees and locking tuners have made for quite the stable tuning, even with whammy bar workouts.

16. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    A quick update:
    I found that the buzzing was caused at the nut itself, so if anybody encounters the same problem just widen the nut slot with 400grit sandpaper. I hve now removed the shim and filed the nut to match the curving fretboard.
    Another thing i noticed is that string spacing is narrower than stock so this nut it probably more suited for an Affinity than a Bullet. So I had to get an Affinity that I can use this nut on ;) NGD coming very soon, hopefully it will arrive today.

so1om and Guitarmageddon like this.
  17. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    NO nut is ever plug and play meaning install, glue in, and done. You have to be a skilled guitar tech to be able to get each nut slot to the exact proper depth....it's not for beginners.

18. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    I have read posts where this has been a direct replacement without issues.
    I have practised on this nut so hopefully I know what to do and not to do when the new one arrives. I have also ordered some nut-files from ebay to make things easier than just using sandpaper.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I mean precise nut depth filing so that your first few notes are perfectly in tune and not sharp, and slots JUST high enough to not buzz....it's precision of 1-2 thousandths of an inch. When it's done right....

I would also try giving a full setup to the Bullet Strat, it could help your notes up high - maybe the rod is too loose or the action is too high.....intonation needs to be done too.

It's not that hard to learn this stuff, I have links to great videos on setup if you want.

20. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    I have watched a lot of setup-videos on youtube and have set up my guitars as well as I am able to. Only thing I have not done to this one is adjust the intonation as it was good out of the box.
    Good instrucions are always welcome though.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice