Recieved my first Squier, a Bullet Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Atlen, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    @so1om: It is brand new, picked it up at the postal office saturday.
    Original strings, felt a bit rough compared to my other guitars so was concidering returning it and get a standard or a CV, but after playing it and getting used to it I really like it. Removed the plastic earlier today. Will restring it, sand it with fine sandpaper and oil it later today.

2. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    My bullet tele needed a little work out of the box. But after a little fret cleaning strings and a setup it was awesome

3. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    You will like it more and more once you've made it yours

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

4. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    At this price point you will need to do some things yourself. The first on allot of them is some attention to the frets. 2nd is a standard setup and new strings. If you don't like the neck finish or non finish you could use true oil. Another option I have done is spray it with a vintage tint and then do like 13 coats of clear. I did that on the Daphne but only did 2 coats on the back of the neck and just did some really fine sanding to make it to smooth.
    Just a few ideas. There are people here that know how to do this stuff allot better than me.

5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I like the way this Strat looks . I'm gonna have to find me one :0)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Oh Yeah.. Forgot to mention I like that Strat too... Looks killer. They sound good stock but if you did decide to do mods I'd say good tuners and upgrade the pups switch and pots. I would put a mint PG on it too. wait... haha.. I have a white SE body with a Bullet neck (like yours) and put Texas Special pups in it and a mint guard. I also found some good cheap Dopro tuners that have white buttons. I've thought about tinting the neck but kind of like it as is so haven't bothered.

IMG_20190623_010041.jpg IMG_20190623_010134.jpg IMG_20190623_010224.jpg

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Good day to you all and thanks for all your input.
    I removed old strings (even though they were almost brand new), tuning pegs and string trees and sanded the neck and headstock before I applied lemon oil to the fretboard and natural furniture oil to the neck and headstock. There are still a few rough spots that didn't go away, but it is a lot nicer now. The headstock felt rougher than the neck, but after some light sanding it is much smoother. I don't think they used their finest sandpaper anywhere else than on the neck.
    I let it cure for a little while then put it all back together with EB Super Slinky strings. Looks and feels a lot better.

The tuners feel rough and some require more force than others when tuning, think they hold the tuning well though. I saw that some have more grease in them than other. Could it be a good idea to apply more grease or do I risk that they will unwind and not hold the tuning well if I do so?

Another issue I have noticed is when bending the D-string hard in the 16th fret it starts buzzing till it eventually kills the string when i push it, but is ok when i pull. I guess the 17th fret is a bit to high around the A- and low E-string. This occures also a bit in the 15th fret, but not as much, maybe 16th fret is a bit too high too? Is there an easy way to correct this?

20190729_213755[1].jpg 20190729_224352[1].jpg 20190729_225347.jpg 20190729_225426.jpg

Rat cam 68, kenneth and Viking like this.
  8. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    The neck came up great!

With regards to the fret, it may not be seated properly in its slot. Check to see if it is sticking out a little. If it is you may just need to apply a little super glue under it, and carefully tap it back in, maybe clamp it carefully with some cloth to protect the neck and fret.

9. Hektor

Hektor Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Europe
    The neck on the Bullet HT are finished with Satin Urethane according to Fender's website. So it isn't raw wood.

10. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Well, $140 Bullet new vs $650MIM new. I like it. How does it sound?

11. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    @ fadetoz Thanks for the input! What kind of clear did you use?

12. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    As far as the rough tuning as I have found with cheap guitars, most of the issues come from the nut, some lube or a better nut will make your tuning smoother. I find Allparts graphite nut from GC $5.99 works great.

13. Hektor

Hektor Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Europe
    Bah, the tuners on my Bullet HT are a bit on the horrible side, they will get swapped, but I'm not complaining for the price I paid (I've paid a LOT more for a Gibson). The one's on my brother's Affinity are a lot better.

14. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Yeah I know, but it feels like raw wood. Feels better to me after I oiled it. The webshop i ordered it from says polyurethane...

Neck & Fingerboard
    • Neck Material: Maple
    • Neck Finish: Polyurethane
    • Neck Shape: C
    • Fingerboard Material: Indian Laurel
    • Fingerboard Radius: 9.5''
    • Number of Frets: 21
    • Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
    • String Nut: Synthetic Bone
    • Nut Width: 42 mm
    • Fingerboard Inlays: Pearloid Dots
    • Truss Rod: Standard
    • Scale Length: 25.5''

15. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    I don't have many other guitars to compare it with. Nearest proper guitar shop is ~4 hours away. Bought the Bullet online.
    The Bullet both feels and sounds a bit more raw than the Telecaster and the Epiphone I have and is a lot lighter. Makes it easy to pick up and just noodle with :) I think it is a very fun guitar to play. Need to spend some time with the Telecaster though. I just got it back after lending it to my wifes little sister for a couple months and I have spent all my "guitar-time" fiddling with the Bullet.

16. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Forgot to put graphite in the nut when i changed the strings, but the tuners feel rough even without strings ;) Was thinking about getting a cheap bone nut off ebay though. These are really cheap, might try them out:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=333263939857

Have ordered rolling string trees off ebay. Costs only $1.12 so I thought I'd give them a try.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=112098458492

17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I only have two Strats... a MIM Fender FSR w/USA standard loaded guard, and a Squier Bullet I modded (tuners/pups).

I like how the thinner Bullet body reverberates against me when I play it... it “feels” more responsive... but the MIM “sounds” more responsive. I like the barely finished neck feel, just as much as the MIM’s satin poly (I don’t care for the CV’s Candy coat gloss poly).
    Yes, the Bullet has a couple finish drips near the neck... but you really have to look hard to see them.

Which do I play out? The Fender
    9B4F2324-04B2-44ED-8040-8EEF88F34D7B.jpeg
    Which do I wail on... on just for fun practice days? The Bullet.
    D1CF8B8E-D1B8-4151-AF9C-A7DF8059DD2C.jpeg
    YMMV

Grey Melbourne likes this.
  18. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    Jeez I love those maple boarded bullets. I only discovered them a couple months ago. I wish I could find one in the green.

19. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    @radiotech nice guitars, like the black hardware
    Funny thing, I just watched a video with Marty Music and Philip McKnight, where Philip said that Surf Green is called the million dollar colour because everytime they launch a guitar in that colour they make a million dollar so they only release them in that colour for a limited time to make it more special.

Does the bullet come with maple fretboards? This is Indian Laurel.

Fender/squier have the Affinity in surf green and indian laurel fretboard on their site so you should be able to find one of those if you want one.

https://shop.fender.com/en-NO/squie.../affinity-series-stratocaster/0370600557.html

20. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Thanks!

Only the Bullets with black hardware have maple fretboards, and it’s often a MF/GC special run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice