Recieved my first Squier, a Bullet Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Atlen, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Danley

Danley Squier Talker

Jun 14, 2019
    OC CA
    I agree about the unfinished-feeling necks that only appear to have sealer in some cases; in high school (long enough ago that Squiers were far short of what they are now,) that became the signal for 'cheap guitar' whenever I touched one. I think they feel terrible and they pretty much put me off all satin necks; I prefer gloss/lacquer. That said - as mentioned, wipe-on poly can work to rectify. IMO the Bullet (no offense to it, I'm actually saying this as a plus) is probably as cheap a guitar as you can get without something major being compromised.

2. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Not happy? send it back for sure. MIM is light years ahead of a Bullet. Of course like everything else you WILL have to pay up the bucks for that difference. Save up is my advise.

I have had a few Bullet Strats and they all hit the road other than the BS Special, Indonesia Cort built Strat.

Kenneth Mountain and Flying Z like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Some thoughts. All IMO, of course.

The neck isn't unfinished. It has a very light seal coat of clear, satin polyurethane. The result is a satin finish that some folks prefer and they often sand or Scotchguard the backs of their necks to achieve this. Some like this finish, some don't. I'm fine with it. It can be Tru-Oiled or clear coated to add finish if that's preferred.

There are neck smudges that got past QC. These can be lightly sanded and they will be gone.

If you're going to keep the guitar, take the plastic film off the pickguard. I'm betting the scratches and fingerprints disappear with the plastic film. Anything on the edges of the pickguard can be scraped off.

The tuners are crud, but they do work. They have a lot of lash in the gears and feel "sloppy," but if you string them correctly the strings don't slip and they'll do ok until you put on a different set.

The quality control was a bit lax on yours, but it's all easily remedied. Any guitar under $500 (and lots of guitars above that) needs some tweaking. All guitars deserve a set-up to make them play their best. You can learn how to do that, right here. Spend some time with a screwdriver dialing in pickup heights for best tone.

After some playing time, I think you may find your Bullet to be a very good guitar. I have a Bullet Strat and have owned another. These Bullets, at their price point, achieve a level of quality that we couldn't even dream of 15 years ago.

4. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    I have an Affinity with a similarly finished very light satin neck and fretboard which is now looking highly gloss thanks only to playing it.

I also have a gloss finished MIM 70s and the Affinity looks closer to that now than it's original finish! Like a nicely used gloss neck to the point I'm going to spray gloss the headstock and heel to match the rest!

5. Danley

Danley Squier Talker

Jun 14, 2019
    OC CA
    I’m not 100% sure if it’s a factory, series, or guitar-to-guitar thing: but some Affinity/Bullet Squiers seem to have a ‘soft touch’ satin finish (a lot like MIM Fenders or G&L Tributes) while others have the raw wood feeling neck that is probably just wood sealer or light clear. The latter won’t get shiny by playing but the former typically will.

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Actually after the light #400 sanding I did to mine, it slowly did get shiny over the next months. Even bare wood will do that to some extent. The trouble was the grey patches that started forming, prompting me to wipe on the urethane. I'm not into relics. :)

7. eidling

eidling Squier-Meister

Jul 6, 2017
    USA
    I like to clean my necks, usually with a product called Brite Stuff after playing, and I have a Bullet Stratocaster that came with a very naked neck like yours. Over time the neck has gained a bit of gloss and looks more seasoned. It is not as extreme as oiling the neck to make it darker, or applying some shiny stuff. Here is what mine looks like. But I agree with others that the main thing is whether or not you really like the guitar overall.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11zCTeOJObiHvHslbpAJCmXwciKYo-kjX/view?usp=sharing

Kenneth Mountain, Flying Z and brians like this.
  8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Not having the money to get a guitar you want IS NOT a good reason to get a guitar you don't like.
    Save a little more, look at some used.
    You'll be happier in the end

Kenneth Mountain, Flying Z and Davey like this.
  9. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Here are some pics of mine, yes it's 10 years old but I have never done anything except a bit of polish , and some sunshine and a whole lot of play. It's a stellar guitar. And it really is this colour. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  10. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    You have all been very helpfull and I apreciate that a lot.

I was actually looking for a good beginner guitar for my wifes little sister and all the good reviews of these guitars got me wanting one for myself.
    She has my Tele to try out electric guitars at the moment, wich probably made my craving for a new guitar stronger.

When I think about it I spent less than one days salory on this guitar.

What put me off was the "unfinished" neck and scratchy frets, but both of those things can be corrected.

The frets are feeling a lot better after just a few minutes of playing. Plugged in it sounds quite good. I also got over the unfamiliar feeling of the neck.

A bit torn at the moment, it's a nice guitar for the money and I think it only will get better with time. I can afford a more expensive guitar, but not sure if it's necessary...

11. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Just spend time doing what needs to be done and it will become yours and the mojo will appear

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

12. Rey08

Rey08 Squier-Meister

Nov 18, 2017
    Illinois
    I checked out a Bullet today in a pawn shop, it was dated 2012 and it had a pretty nice neck. I purposely looked at the back of the neck after reading this thread, and it was sanded very smooth, and definitely had a light finish on it. It looked and felt very good. If yours is completely bare wood, with rough patches I would say that is not right. Unless they are now cheapening the build process that much.

13. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    I think it looks great, but its whatever makes you happy and its your money.
    Your neck finish definitely looks unfinished IMO mine is a satin and i love the smooth feel, but i grew up using wooden handle hammers and Axes so i like the feel of sanded wood.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  14. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    The webshop I ordered it from offers 30 day free return and the money back.

What if I ordered a Standard, then I can compare them at the same time and keep the one I like the most...

I live a 4-hour drive from the nearest proper guitar shop wich is why it is easier for me to order online.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  15. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    The Classic Vibe 70s is the next step up.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  16. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Hello again
    Removed the screenshots from the two previous posts.
    I don't think I'll bother getting a different strat to try out, I am keeping this one.
    I like the white colour and will sand the neck and apply some oil later today because to me the wood feels dry and feels as if it will stain easy.
    Brought it with me to work as I'm the only one at the office this week.
    Plays great even through my old Peavey Rage. Brought along a couple of pedals and some batteries, but they where dead. Will have to drop by the store in the lunch break, will hopefully get som time to play it too during the break.
    20190729_093723[1].jpg

17. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I like the bullet necks. My favorite low priced necks. You could use tru oil on it. to give it more of a finish.
    But if you don't like it send it back.

18. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    It is just different from my other guitars wich put me off a bit.
    After playing it and getting used to it I kind of like it :)

19. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I like lacquered necks too, but I enjoy playing my Bullet Strat. I did upgrade the tuners and nut, smooth the fret ends, and drop in a lovely set of Rose pickups, so it's not exactly out-of-the-box.

20. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Is this a new guitar?

At first I was not a fan of the satin finish as I like to anchor my hand/thumb with a nice sticky finish. However after playing my Bullet HH, there are areas that are nice and smooth and polish and I actually like the next to nothing feel. Now I have no preference/deal breaker with neck finishes.

The tuners should be fine, mine are. You may have to dress the nut slots so the strings are gliding though nicely -all guitars will need this done to suit your gauge of strings.

Also.. if this is a new guitar, change out the strings as those that are shipped are not very good, but at least better than what is shipped with Epiphones.

Kenneth Mountain and brians like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice