Recieved my first Squier, a Bullet Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Atlen, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Picked this up from the post office today. Not as impressed as all the youtubers. Feels like an unfinished product to me. Neck and headstock has no finish and has some rough sanding where the neck meets the headstock and the body. Scratchplate has some smudges and fingerprints.
    To me it just feels wrong to play a neck that has no coating, feels as if it will get stains. Is it normal to put laquer or oil on them? Same goes for the fretboard.
    20190727_105807.jpg 20190727_105711.jpg 20190727_105702.jpg 20190727_105737.jpg 20190727_105723.jpg

Taurus, radiotech, TEXINGA and 5 others like this.
  2. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Question is if I should keep it and put some care into it or return it and save up for a MIM.
    I have a MIM Tele and that one is in a different league when it comes to fit and finish.
    Have not plugged in the Bullet yet though...

3. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    I could write my perspectives, but in this case I don’t think there’d be much point. It sounds as if you are really unsatisfied—so much so that you haven’t even bothered to hear what it sounds like. It seems from your posts that you’ve decided this isn’t the guitar for you. That’s cool. Find the one you like.

I will say that, regardless of brand, the least expensive Asian guitars have the lowest quality control. That is, all guitar factories make “duds”, but the more they spend, the better job they do of keeping those subpar instruments from leaving the factory.

So I guess I’ll just say, if your problem is what you perceive as bad finish, then return and exchange. Bullets can be quite a great bargain. But, if you just don’t like the thin neck finish, etc which are elements of the design, then you are probably better off looking elsewhere.

Finally there are a lot of options between a Bullet and a MiM. There are a lot of Affinity fans here. Personally, my Classic Vibe 50’s are the best non-American guitars that I have.

Good luck in your search.

mb doug, Jim Belaye, Flying Z and 5 others like this.
  4. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Keep in mind what you paid fcr it. It looks new and you paid premium price. Get used ones at pawn shops for fifty bucks all day.. Good mod platforms.

5. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    Sounds like you’d be more satisfied with at least a Standard, or something a little higher up the quality scale.

6. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Save up and find a pre-owned MIM for about $300-350.

I love the unfinished necks. Not a fan of super lacquer.

Go to GC and try out some different models. You never know what sticks.

The key to making a new Bullet sing is a good set up. You'll be surprised.

7. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I agree that the Bullet line of products have an "unfinished" feel to them. A good cleaning and polishing goes a long way, if you have the time and energy to put into it. That said, even after a full disassembly, cleaning polishing, dressing, etc. It's still a Bullet Strat, which some people love and some just can't stand.

I guess they're just not for everybody. I'm in the "not for me" camp myself, regardless of how hard I've tried to love them.

8. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    +1 for the unfinished necks.

However, I am allergic to trap tuners, so I'd pass. Also, I've bought used guitars online that have less smudges on them.

You seem unhappy with it, send it back!

9. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    If you're not happy with it, if it was me... I'd return it and get something else.

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

In case you decide to keep it, you can smooth up any places on the neck that don't feel smooth enough with a little #400 sandpaper. My bullet Tele started to get some discoloration on the back of the neck, so I sanded that off and wiped on a thin coat of two of water based polyurethane clear. It isn't visible, but has kept the back of the neck very smooth and protected, without changing the feel significantly.

I like my Bullet Tele and Strat very much. They didn't have rough spots or smudges though.

11. squi guy

squi guy Squier-Meister

Jan 5, 2019
    North Canton,Ohio
    I absolutely LOVE those unfinished necks, it's what's kept me in the Squier corral, have two Squier Deluxe Strats with unfinished necks and those babies feel so smooth to me, and sure, the Bullet hardware and electronics are on the low end, it is entry level material, but, you know what you like so get what you really feel comfortable with. Good Luck.

12. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm looking for a Bullet Tele. Thinking of the Sparkle Red:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-limited-edition-bullet-telecaster-electric-guitar

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Do the newer ones come with different tuners?

14. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    This. If you put some time in, as said , set up and frets and fretboard work along with a good polishing everywhere, you may change your mind. The fact is you paying $100 and expecting $350 value. A mim is priced accordingly for a reason, so it's really not fair to compare out the box one on one. I have a stock mim Strat and a Bullet that I've put a lot of love and time into, and I can now compare my two, and I prefer playing my Bullet.
    But also true is that in mass production, some under par ones will slip through, there are good ones and others.
    I personally would not buy one without checking it myself.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

15. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    Yeah I don’t know why they still make those awful trapezoid tuners. Crime against humanity!

My 2018 Bullet Strat HT had traps. I swapped in some GFS locking tuners for about 30 bucks. Also added a TUSQ nut. Now it’s got the tuning stability of a Schecter.

16. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    I love the color and personally a neck isn't a deal breaker, simply replace the neck. Mod mod mod....:D

17. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Was it a direct fit? I can't do drilling.

18. Rey08

Rey08 Squier-Meister

Nov 18, 2017
    Illinois
    They announced in their product descriptions around 2018 that the tuners were improved: "The newly-redesigned Bullet® Strat® is ideal for ...<snip>... while the improved tuning machines and hardtail bridge ensure rock-solid tuning stability."

But it looks a lot in the pictures like the same old trap tuners that have always been there. Can anyone confirm if there were really any changes to the trap tuners? There was also a price increase to $150 for most of the Bullets. Remember all the sales that used to happen for $100? It does not happen anymore. They are always $150 now except for certain limited colors for around $120 or so.

They have improved the tuners to the sealed kind on some colors of the new Bullets, along with a price increase to $169 to pay for them.

Thanks for this thread as it's nice to see feedback on the current production of the Bullet. As mentioned here some people prefer the no finish, and some players even sand off their finish on the back of the neck to get it. I think it would be best to at least have some kind of light finish on there.

I think a big advantage of the Bullet is that it is pretty much the only Strat style hardtail out there, and at a good price if you want a hardtail.

I could not find $50 Bullets in my pawn shops they only had one Bullet and they wanted $90 for it, and it was black. ;)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  19. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Thanks for all your input.

I haven't had the time to test it out properly. I was excited and got it home, unpacked it, tuned it and played a couple riff before I put it away.

I just didn't expect an unfinished neck, and have never played one before so it felt strange.

Don't have the money to spend on higher end guitar wich is the reason why I got this. All the good reviews got me excited so I got my expectations up.

I think it might be worth keeping and put some time and care into it to get it where I want.

I have sandpaper, colorless furniture oil, matte laquer and fretboard oil just want to make sure I'll keep it before I do anything to it.

I ordered a black three-ply pickguard off ebay before I got the guitar.

Will spend some more time with it when the kids have gone to bed...

20. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    It sounds like you have a bad taste in your mouth about this guitar. That’s not gonna make for good mojo. You’re prolly never gonna bond with it....just my 2 cents :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice