Recessed Gilmour Switches

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Birddog144, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I was looking for a bracket to mount a recessed "Gilmour" switch on my Strat and all I could find was one for $35, or a cheap one in England that would not ship to the USA. While I understand the correlation between manufacturing such an item and the quantity of expected sales, I thought $35 was a bit high. For $25, I might go for it, as long as it included a switch as well.

What to do?? o_O Tool up and make my own of course. ;):cool:

Behold, the prototype Gilmour switch bracket!

Now for the purposes of creating the prototype, I individually measured and marked the locations of all the holes and punched them out using the tried and true TLAR method (That Looks About Right)....:rolleyes: I have designed a fixture for my punch that will index the sheet aluminum blank and precisely punch all the holes accurately. I already have materials on order to build it (I need a 20mm end mill I don't have to make the fixture).

I have already made a fixture to hold a pickguard in my mill to rout the slot for the switch tip, so it will look like this when it is done:

Pretty cool huh?? :cool::cool:

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s awesome! Great work.

3. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    My design will allow up to three switches for all kinds of wiring options.

4. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Looky atcha lol.. That's freaking awesome.

5. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    So damn innovative! You rock

6. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I currently have enough material on hand to make 24 of them (including the prototype), but full production will be on hold until I get all the materials that are coming on that slow boat from China.

In the future, every time I pull the pickguard from a Strat, it's going to get a Gilmour switch! The actual wiring to do that mod is ridiculously simple.

7. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Where were you when I was building my Gilmour strat? If you need a tester I can put a pickguard and a plate on mine. ;)
    IMG_20181122_113722.jpg

8. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I was out flying my glider.... :rolleyes: I'm going to put one on this. Maybe I'll do a single-ply black pickguard and white pickup covers to boot. ;)

IMG_3747.JPG

9. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    That's way better than cutting up an old humbucker cover like I did on this one. 20190909_143113.jpg

10. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Yes, you have to have the first one of course. :)

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    That's how every thing we use was started..necessity is the mother of invention..
    Ya done good..

12. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I'd go one step further and make the 3 parallel to the main selector, but staggered.

13. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    The tooling to do that would be FAR more complicated.

14. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I routed the PG for the switch to check out everything and all is good. I may modify the height of the switch by a few thousandths, but other than that, it's a winner.

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

15. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2018
    Tip of the mitt
    Too much switcherdoodling for me.

But gat dang that's some clean work!!

Bang up job sir!

16. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Super clean, and yet repeatable. That's the magic combo. Skill and practice can make for clean, but repeatable takes tooling! :)

17. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    .... and tooling takes a lathe and a mill. I'd be lost without them. ;)

Parts are still being shipped. As soon as they arrive, I'm going to have more recessed Gilmour switch brackets one man can use in one lifetime.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  18. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I wasn't completely happy with the height of the switch above the pickguard on the prototype. There was no ability to adjust the height of the switch as the adjusting nut had to be removed from it. Additionally, there may have been clearance issues with the cavity floor in some bodies. I changed one of the dimensions, made a new indexing block for my shear, test-bent a scrap in my brake and Voilà! New and Improved design with room for adjustments. :rolleyes::cool:

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

19. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I was unaware of these until I saw this post. I love mini toggles but hate how they stick out. Nice job!

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  20. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Prototype #2, height adjustable and final design. This one was made from a slightly undersized piece and will go into that black MIM Strat I posted above along with an all-black pickguard and white P/U covers. :cool: All future brackets will be full width.

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice