Real Guitar Players Have High End Tube Amps

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Guitarmageddon, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I had a guy come by today to look at the majorly upgraded mint 2016 Squier Classic Vibe Tele Custom I have. Upgraded compensated solid brass saddles, 250k full size Alpha volume pot, 1meg tone (for wah type effects), flipped control plate, treble bleed, and 4-way switch for series/parallel. Also frets leveled and crown and a new bone nut. $400 firm Canadian that's like $300 US.

I had a guy come play it today for 10 minutes in my lobby through my Danelectro Honeytone, and then proceeded to chastise me because I didn't have a high end tube amp for him to blast into for as long as he wanted. I even offered to run up and get my solid state Orange RT20 for him to get a better idea.....

He said to me 'real guitar players have high end tube amps, I don't want a guitar from a guy who doesn't".

Isn't that the weirdest?!?!?!

JurnyWannaBe, Robb, Davey and 8 others like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    That's super odd. You have a seriously upgraded "mid-grade" guitar at a reasonable price for sale. Was he expecting a freaking Dumble?

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

The amp had nothing to do with it, it's just another case of making up an excuse not to buy.

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Either that or he was hoping to find an expensive amp and get invited to case the place it was kept.

5. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Some people get a charge out of the idea that they are "messing" with the minds of others, and that by doing so they are the Masters of any interaction. Maybe he's one of them. Maybe he thought you might instantly drop your price in order to redeem yourself as a "real" guitar player in his eyes. Did you ask him about his high end tube amps?

6. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    And wouldn't you know it, it's sold now for my $400 CDN asking price, no hassle. A guy from Toronto bought it off me and turns out he also bought a CV60s sunburst Strat from me 2 years ago. His dad lives here, picked it up for him, and gave me four $100 Canadian bills. I threw in some guitar parts (the ones I was trying to give away on here but got no bites from Canadians) cuz he is such an upstanding guy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    beagle, JurnyWannaBe, Robb and 14 others like this.
  7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

If trying out a guitar through a high end tube amp is that important, he should have brought one of his with him...

8. When you sell anything … you get all kinds. Glad it all worked out for you at the end.
    Cheers, Barrie.

JurnyWannaBe, Robb, Best1989 and 3 others like this.
  9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Truth is a "real" guitar player doesn't need any particular amp, OR guitar, to be a "real" player..

10. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    Silliness!

If you were in B.C. ,I would have bought that off you!
    And I only play digital amps now!

JurnyWannaBe and Guitarmageddon like this.
  11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Empiracle evidence does not even justify his attitude. Some of the best sounds, of bites played here on S-T, were @Strato67 playing through a 12" speaker with his little tube amp. That amp, far from being 'high end', started life in the late 50's/very early 60's as an amplified speaker for a reel to reel tape deck. A little Silvertone tube amp with great sound when wielded by someone who made his living playing guitar.

You just had a jerk who probably could not afford the guitar.

12. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    So are a acoustic players not real players? Some people dont have a clue...

13. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Cork Sniffery/Snoberry at its finest. I'm surprised a non-CS guitar wasn't also beneath him.

JurnyWannaBe, Robb, kenneth and 2 others like this.
  14. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    There's the type of person who would have angrily wanted to return the guitar because of a pinprick sized ding on the lower bout that was "undisclosed."

You were better off with him gone, IMHO. I'm glad the guitar sold anyway.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    JurnyWannaBe, Robb, radiotech and 4 others like this.
  15. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
  16. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I'm interested to know what being a "Real Guitar Player" has to do with being a luthier. Empirical evidence suggests that the two arts are different; related only to the fact that both use guitars as an expression of art in different ways. If I am interested in buying a great instrument, I would go to a luthier. If I am interested in hearing a musical performance, I would go to a real guitar player.

JurnyWannaBe and Guitarmageddon like this.
  17. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    ...Says the potential buyer as he drives off in a Saturn.

18. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    He left on foot lol lives only a couple blocks from me.

19. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    Hopefully he was at least wearing "high end" sneakers.

20. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I’m hoping it was Reebok pumps, you know Tube-Sneakers

JurnyWannaBe, Robb, fattboyzz and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice