Re-licing a relic job

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by surf green, Oct 17, 2019.

1. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Picked up this Affinity w/hard case for $80, planning a future refinishing project. No work day with wind gusts of 70 mph along the coast, so today suddenly became the "future". The more I looked at the poor heavy relic attempt, I realized that spending time on a refin was out of the question. The butterscotch finish had been completely sanded off below the bridge plate and to the left of the neck and DSCN3383.JPG DSCN3385.JPG DSCN3395.JPG DSCN3396.JPG the pickups. With the gouging and color removed right up to the pickguard it certainly was not believable wear.
    Squier Butterscotch turned out to be no where near the color of Re-Ranch Butterscotch Blonde lacquer...…..but good old Mohawk 101 neck Amber looked pretty damn close. Spraying a patch of amber on a piece of plywood and applying it to the bare wood body with a chip brush was the method of choice. This way I could put color around the prior gouging without having to go back again to remove it. So here's the start of re-relic of a "belt sander" relic job.
    Luckily the former "Custom Shop Relic Master" hadn't gotten very far on the neck before he threw in the towel on this project. I'll have to put some thought in on phase 2...…….to amber or not to amber? That is the question.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Keep them rain day updates coming ! Scuba Steve !

SquierTap, mb doug and surf green like this.
  3. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
  4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Hopefully you can get it looking real again :)

mb doug likes this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

no way I went that ! bro ! !

I was thinking about you tonight - as I walked past a pile of stuff I owe you ! ! time to box this stuff up ! !

I have my eye on a like new BS affy - at my local consignment shop - these things are like guitar crack to me and I am weak.......

SquierTap and Rat cam 68 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice