Rats!!!!!!!!!! Small crack in the neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by oneLOCOman, Oct 10, 2018.

1. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier Talker

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    My new to me tele came in and I see why GC had it for 149. Not a blemish on it cept for the small crack in the neck, play great, was really surprised how good it sounded. I played a affinity at a local guitar shop in town here and it sounded nowhere as good as this one. Just not sure on the crack. Will it get worse? Man I do know if I should take it back or what.. Once again I ask you squire gurus for your advice/opinions. What do ya'll think.
    tele.1.jpg tele.2.jpg

Las Palmas Norte and squierbilly like this.
  2. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    If it’s like a lot of others I’ve seen, it would just be a crack in the finish and not the wood.

5ofeight, danzigdan, Jmv668 and 4 others like this.
  3. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Meister

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    As a fellow member of the "crack in my neck pocket club"
    I say, do not worry.
    That is why there are four big screws holding on to your neck.
    You will probably wear out the guitar before the neck ever falls off.
    It's a good deal even with the crack.

Davey, Dr Improbable, nicod98 and 4 others like this.
  4. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  5. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier Talker

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Yeah I just watched some vids on youtube. Most say its the finish as the wood shrinks and expands.

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I belong to this club and I concur ! ! would you feel better if you made it ? I think not ? Play it ! ! !

5ofeight, oneLOCOman and squierbilly like this.
  7. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    Finish crack. No problem,play away.

8. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Almost impossible to find a used guitar with out this issue.. Its quite common,, No sweat.. Lovely tele!.. Congrats!..

Kenneth Mountain and oneLOCOman like this.
  9. I found this issue rather uncommon although not rare either. Lucky for your it's not the "neck" as posted, just the body finish.
    Cheers, Barrie.

5ofeight and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    A lot of my Squiers are 10 plus years old - my white affy is 00 - 18 years - it's more a function of time I think - expand and contract. I like the older ones for the patina !

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  11. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Nut

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    That's a minor one and I really don't see it being an issue. I refinished a Squier II that had them on both sides and the worst side went half way down in the cut and I could flex it open by pulling back on the neck. So when I removed the finish I could see it was opening the wood ply in the guitar. I spread it open and injected Gorilla wood glue. I just don't see that being the problem in your case. If GC did say there was a finish crack call them up and complain and see if you get $25 or $30 knocked off or perhaps something for free.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have a bunch of guitars like that. It means nothing. Also.. I got a guitar for free because when I opened up the box I noticed it.. So there is that advantage to actually having a crack.

13. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Not to discredit any of the previous commenters, but those who claim it's just a finish crack are the ones who probably never tried to sand it down to bare wood and inspect. My Jackson has them on both sides, my friend's Aria and Silvertone as well and those two happened from dropping them (in the latter the wood/MDF crack even got wide open, but that's an extreme and unlikely case on a guitar built out of poor quality materials).

They're very common on bolt-on guitars, it's an unfortunate visual issue that arises from very tight neck pockets and shifting woods. I wouldn't really care much for that, that can be added to the list of things relic guitars always try to replicate but when yours has the real mojo then it's undesirable.

For those planning on fixing a body like that, my 2 cents would be not to use superglue because I've always found it not creating a strong enough bond on wood, plus it just makes it impossible to fix using wood glue afterwards. Perhaps a bit of diluted Titebond and pushing it into the crack using a suction cup (handy trick I've learned from Mr. Dan from Stewmac).

14. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier Talker

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Good idea. GC didn't say there was a crack in the neck. I am gonna call them and see if I can get something.

mikesr1963 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier Talker

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    In town here there is a music store mostly vintage gear tube amps, Fenders, Gibsons,and some Squiers. Anyways I played a Fender tele ($950) through a Bugera V22 and it shur as hell didn't sound no $800 better than this std played through my orange crush 35rt. And the std feels just as good to play!

16. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Yup !

17. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    maybe it's your amp! LOL!! :D

18. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I own several guitars I purchased from Rondomusic.com. Sometimes the owner lists as B stock guitars that have finish cracks and other flaws, but mostly finish cracks. He generally offers a sizable discount, too. Most of the finish cracks are at the same place as shown in the photo supplied.

Of course it could be an actual crack. In any case, such a finish crack I think would require that the guitar be sold as a B stock guitar with a discount. A scratch caused by the owner of a guitar is not, at least to me, the same as a finish crack, a condition over which the owner has no control.

If the guitar had been sold as new I'd definitely ask for a price reduction or return the instrument. But since I assume it's used the purchaser could ask for a further discount.

Here's GC's used condition terms: I don't see a structural flaw anywhere, either a finish crack or an actual crack, except maybe in the "Poor" condition which indicates it may need repair. I'd point that out to the GC staffer during the request for a price adjustment.

Condition
    Excellent
    This product is in "like new" condition and shows little to no signs of use. Free from blemishes, scratches, and user wear. All controls are completely functional.
    Great
    This product shows little signs of use and all controls are completely functional. It may have minor surface scratches.
    Good
    This product is completely functional and shows some signs of use. It may have surface scratches and/or dings and dents.
    Fair
    This product is functional but shows signs of heavy use that could include, but not limited to; scratches, dings, dent, chips, and worn parts/controls.
    Poor
    This product shows significant cosmetic and functional wear. It may need repair and/or part(s) replaced.

oneLOCOman likes this.
  19. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    67D2C39C-B1BC-4D7B-9217-2DCC7FE38C77.jpeg
    This is what I was expecting to see on here... even this is repairable (I clamped it after CA gluing it and it’s been totally stable)
    I think half of the guitars I’ve owned have had neck pocket cracks like up top, unless the neck shifts around I wouldn’t worry about it.

20. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    That's a teeny tiny little guy!

Yup, kind of a piss off but no big deal really. I have a few like that or worse, never moved, got bigger or anything.