(rare?) Indonesian Affinity strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Robbmonster, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-Nut

Today I bought off ebay a 1999 Squier Affinity strat, made in Indonesia. Are Affinity's from Indonesia rare?

The guitar is in wonderful condition - lightly scuffed pickguard, very few body scratches, and no chipped paint, but the guitar has obviously been played because of an abundance of gunk on the neck and up near the headstock. She has been well-loved AND well cared-for. Even the chrome is spotless and when I removed the knobs, there was a lot of gunk under them, but also a lot of the plastic film from the pickguard still remaining. Pretty good for an 11 year old guitar!

I have only had a few minutes to play the guitar, but first impressions tell me that it sounds wonderful! I bought it as a platform to mod (pickup swap), but so far I'm so impressed that I don't think I will, Maybe just the neck or middle.

The guitar has a skunk stripe (no longer found on Affinity's) and a solid black headstock decal (also no longer found), and she is a wonderful Navy blue colour, Baltic Blue, or Cobalt Blue maybe, but certainly NOT the Metallic Blue of the current models. I tried to take pics, but I couldn't get any that did justice to the colour, so I will take some tomorrow in the sunlight.

2. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Squier-holic

no, not rare, alot of them are made in Indonesia

3. motoman45

motoman45 Squier-holic

how much if i may ask?

4. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Yeah, I'd say that Indonesian Affinities are maybe even more common than the Chinese ones.

5. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-Nut

You may... AUD$152.50 to be exact. I think the RRP for an Affinity these days is about AUD399.

I wasn't aware of that. Before today, I had only ever seen Chinese ones. But then again, I only started taking notice about 2 years ago.

Playing this one, it's a shame the quit with the Indonesian ones. The pickups are waaaay better (IMO) than the Chinese Affinity I briefly owned last year.

6. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Squier-Nut

Yeah, I have a 2000 IC serial Strat.

7. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

It very well may be different in Australia than the US as to which country most of any particular variety of Squiers is imported from. Possibly even different in different parts of the US or what gets sent to different retailers. I think a large percentage of Affinities sold locally to me come from either Guitar Center or one or two local/regional chain stores, so that may bias the local market.

8. TwoMartinMan

TwoMartinMan Squier-Meister

I've had several Affinitys pass through my hands. I'd say they've been half and half, Indos and Chinese. The indos generally seem to be a bit nicer in fit and finish.

9. chockybear

chockybear Squier Talker

I saw that affinity on ebay. Looked nice. Good buy.

10. YeahDoIt

YeahDoIt Squier-holic

My Affinity says "Crafted In Indonesia" on it. I don't think it's rare.

11. Squieruser98

Squieruser98 Squier Talker

Hell yeah i just got a squire affinity yesterday and i belive it was made in 2000 the pick are way better than my old squire!:)

12. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Indo Squiers were made by two companies, Cort, and Samick. i have a Samick made Bullet neck that i really like. it feels pretty substantial in the hand, like the neck on a SRV sig i played when they first came out.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  13. fenderfreak

fenderfreak Squier-holic

I really love the 1998-2001 Affinities, great necks. Country doesn't matter to me...

14. Vott

Vott Squier-Nut

At one time I had a Chinese Affinity and an Indonesian at the same time. I liked the indo alot better. It had some really good sounding pups in it and the tuners were nicer. The Chinese was by no means junk, but the indo was the better one.

15. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

Probably the wrong place to ask - but do all Affinity Strats have the narrow nut width?
    I thought I read somewhere here that earlier years had the wider nut....if that's the case, anyone know the details on which years?
    I have a 2007 IC serial number Affinity and the string spacing near the nut is the only major con - I can live with the thinner body....

16. GordonRules24

GordonRules24 Squier-Meister

Today, the Affinities sold in Strat Paks are Indonesian, while the ones sold by themselves are Chinese. There are distinct differences. I agree that the Indonesian ones are nicer than the Chinese.