Questions about coil splitting a humbucker

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by MuleFan, Nov 8, 2019.

1. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hi! Thanks for the reply! The pot with the extra lugs I’m sure I can figure out. I think they might just be an extra solder mug for the same connector. I’m more concerned with either using the push/pull as a volume pot, or forgetting about the push/pull and using either a regular 5-way switch (I’d have order that switch) or a 5-way “super switch” (which I happen to have already). When I try to use that page at Seymour Duncan where it generates the wiring diagrams, I can’t see how to get either the push/pull or the super switch into the diagram. I seem to only be able to generate more “traditional” wiring setups. If someone can help me with the wiring that would be awesome!

thanks again for the help!

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    You might find it here, but what you're asking for is quite complex so that's why I suggested Strat-Talk - there are wiring gurus there...

https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/2-pickup-guitar-wiring-diagrams/

MuleFan likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    This diagram right here I provided earlier is perfect for 5 way with auto coil split and series/parallel @MuleFan

I have no idea how to use a super switch....or a push/pull.....

MuleFan likes this.
  4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Are you anywhere near me ? where is upstate NY ?

When I'm looking for a schematic - rarely do I find the "perfect" one. I wind up using several that address "parts" of what I'm trying to accomplish ?

seymour duncan doesn't address hardware variations - like import switches and such ?

keep throwing these questions - we will help - pictures sometimes help also - and you should have reamed the hole in the tele plate instead of ordering a over priced Fender plate ? are the mounting screws going to line up with the original holes ? solved one problem , created another ?

reamer.jpg

K

MuleFan likes this.
  5. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hey thanks guys! I think you had to use a 5-way super switch for what I’m trying to do. If I can do it with a regular 5-way I’ll just order one.

As far as the switch plate, I was shocked to see that the Fender brand plate was far, far thinner and just all around cheaper looking and feeling than any I’ve seen on my two Squier Tele’s and that include cheap eBay replacements I’ve tried over the years. I thought this time I’d spring for the “real deal”, but I have already been second guessing that purchase. It does seem to fit my guitar, but honestly I was already thinking about sending it back. For the small cost, I prefer to order new switch plates or pick guards, that way I can leave the stock components intact in case I want to sell the guitar. I don’t regret ordering a new switch plate, but I do regret buying the Fender brand plate. But I digress....

I think may have over complicated this post and confused at least myself and likely you guys too ;-) I will go back and look at the original wiring diagram posted by Guitarmagedon. I had been trying to get this done and not have to order new parts, but here we are a week later my guitar is still apart and no solder has flown. So if I have to order a 5-way switch that’s fine, might as well do it right and get it done.

Thanks very much everyone, I really appreciate all the help with this!

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  6. billyb

billyb Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Just a quick note:
    I notice in that very first diagram supplied by Seymour Duncan that they are recommending 250K pots...I just installed a Dimarzio PAF in my Tele and Dimarzio also recommended 250's if you are looking for more of a classic Tele tone...I kept my 250's and the neck humbucker is still not as "glassy" as a classic Tele...

MuleFan likes this.
  7. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hi! Thank you for the advice. Actually, I was trying to go completely the other way with this guitar, something more modern and unusual. I have a Squier CV Thinline Tele that I want to keep as a classic Tele sound, and I have a set of pickups and electronics, including Fender 250K pots, for that project.

Thanks again for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice