Questions about coil splitting a humbucker

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by MuleFan, Nov 8, 2019.

1. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hi guys! I’m hoping someone can help me with some questions about a mod I’d like to try. I have a mid-level Squire Tele, I forget which model it is, but it came to me used with a humbucker at the neck, and traditional Tele single coil at the bridge. I recently purchased a new set of pickups I want to try, and I’d also like to coil split the humbucker while I’m at it, and I’m new to the coil split mod part specifically.

My parts list so far is:
    Bootstrap brand Sweet Serrano humbucker for the neck pick with a four lead wire
    Bootstrap brand Pretzel Pup single coil Tele pickup for the bride.
    Ryan from Bootstrap suggested 500K pots, so I ordered a Bourns 500K pot as well as a Bourns 590K push/pull pot.
    I’m going to try to reuse the stock 3 way Tele switch, Jack, and chrome cover plate, unless I get noise or buzzing from them.

I would like to ask, should I use the push/pull pot as the volume or tone control? How do I wire just the one humbucker with the coil split mod? Is there a wiring diagram somewhere that shows my setup (ie: coil split humbucker neck with single coil bridge PU). When I’ve looked online, the diagrams I have found are showing two humbucker both with the coil split mod. If anyone can help with a diagram it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for the help!

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    You'll need to speak to Bootstrap again before beginning - you/we need to know their color code for the 4-5 wires, otherwise we're not going to know how to solder it up....

I also have this auto split 5-way switch Tele wiring....you could eliminate the push/pull entirely...of course the colors of your pickup aren't the same as Seymour Duncan so changes would need to be made...

[​IMG]

3. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
  4. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Thank you for your reply! I’m sorry, I forgot to mention that Bootstrap uses the same coloring a Peavey pickups, I have a diagram somewhere ;-) Let me give some thought to your switch option vs. the push/pull, but I appreciate the suggestion!

5. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    @Guitarmageddon - I am home from work this evening, and looking further at the wring diagram you suggested. Am I wrong to think I'd get one more tone selection option using a 5 way switch vs. using the push/pull pot as I originally thought? And just to be clear, this would be a basic 5 way switch like the stock switch on a Strat, and not anything like a "super switch"?

Thanks again for your help!

6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    There are also 4 way Tele switches (though they, like the 5 way, the often require a longer slot to operate, so you may need a different control plate to use one). The thing a 4/5 way selector switch doesn’t give you is a single and humbucker coil neck option in all three positions (the diagram @Davis Sharp posted) which is why I’d go with a push/pull over a 4/5 way, giving you 6 tonal options vs 5.

If you go that way, I’d also measure the depth of the cavity... you might not have room for a full size pot w/switch in there, you might have to go with a mini.

7. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hi, Radiotech! Thanks for the reply. I think you answered my question about the number of tonal options I can select from with either setup. I just got the push/pull pot in last night so I'll double check the clearance, but I'm hoping it fits ;-) If not I'll use it on a different project.

Thanks again for the help!

8. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hello again everyone! I found that my Bourns 500K Push/Pull pot does fit in my Tele body no problem, so I think I'm going to try that option since I already have all the hardware for that setup.

Thanks very much for all the help!

9. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

One thing that came to my mind is that although the push-pull will give you one more tonal option, it also may not be a quiet as a 5-way switch. You have the potential (no pun intended) of getting crackle when operating the push-pull as well as another carbon track on the volume control to make noise. A quality 5-way switch will be quiet switching between pickups and the quality volume pot will be quiet as well. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

10. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hi! Thank you for your input! I don’t have any experience with the push/pull pots, so I will keep that in mind. I can say that I’m not a performer, and largely I’m doing this because I like electronics in general and wanted to learn more about guitar electronics specifically. The Bourns pots I’ve selected for this project seemed to have good user feedback, so I think I will forge ahead and see how it sounds. If I get excessive noise then I may definitely try a different setup. Thanks again for your help!

11. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hey guys! I have another question and I'd appreciate it if someone could help me. I really wanted to get this guitar wired up today, but when I disassembled the electronics I found that for one thing the previous owner must have been playing around because the solder joints definitely looked less than professional. But more importantly the 3-way switch I have seems really low quality and ideally I want to replace it. Having hoped to get this done today I went through my parts box and I do not have another 3-way switch to use (or even a 5-way), but I did find a genuine Fender 4-way switch. I would like to know if there's a way I can use this 4-way switch and still keep the coil split mod I had planned on all along. For example, I read about using a 4-way switch in a telecaster to offer a selection where both pickups are in series rather than in parallel. Of course, all the descriptions and wiring diagrams I found were for traditionally wired Tele's with 2 single coil pickups. Can I do something like this along with my coil split mod via push/pull pot, or is it best to do one or the other? If it's one or the other I'll just delay the project a bit and order a new 3-way switch.

Thanks in advance for the help!

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
  13. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Awesome, just what I was hoping for! Now I just have to see if I have that value resistor handy but I think so. Thanks again for your help!

14. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hey guys! I'm still working on my upgrade, I ran into a couple of stumbling blocks. The first was that I learned the hard way that my new Bourns pots don't fit through the holes on the chrome switch plate, so I ordered a Fender switch plate and that arrived today. However, come to find out that while the Bourns push/pull pot does indeed fit in my cavity in the VOLUME location (closest to the jack), it does not fit in the TONE location (in between switch and other pot) without taking a router or drill to the guitar body. To be honest, when I originally thought about the coil split mod I had always wanted the push/pull to be the volume pot, but in the wiring diagram mkgearhead posted above they have the push/pull as the tone pot. Is there anyway to rework this so I can have my push/pull where the volume pot is in the above diagram? Still hoping to use the 4-way switch have if possible.

And, I'm a little confused by the lugs on the push/pull pot I have. It has basically 6 lugs that are oriented horizontally as well as 6 lugs that run vertically. All of the wiring diagrams and other push/pulls I've seen have basically 3 horizontal lugs and 6 vertical lugs. According to the data sheet I found I have what they call a "dual gang" push/pull. Does this mean that the six horizontal lugs are basically 3 pairs of lugs? If someone can help clear up how I am supposed to wire up this pot I'd very much appreciate it. If I can't use it on this guitar, I will save it for a future project.

Here's a link to the exact push/pull I purchased with all the lugs pictured:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G05SCY/?tag=squiertalk-20

And here's a link to the data sheet for the pot in question:
    https://www.bourns.com/docs/product-datasheets/PDB183-GTR.pdf

Thanks a lot for all the help!!!

15. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    My PRS came with coil-splitting humbuckers. An important side note is that a good sounding humbucker may not necessarily also sound good as a single coil - mine gets noticeably thinner when split, but it gets easily sorted with an adjustment in the amp settings, and it's perfectly workable - I just wouldn't throw my SSS Strat away over that, though. I suppose the less appropriate pot values for single coils have an impact when coil splitting a guitar, but simply experiment around and use what works the best!

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the push-pull pot. It's a bit counter-intuitive, and when I use it, I tend to forget which pot does the trick. I don't think if there are any high-quality push-pull pots around, either, the rotation feels much more loose than the the volume pot for instance. Overall at long term I might use a special 5-way switch to control the coil-splitting just like the way American PRS's are wired, but at the same time it works well enough not to be worth spending all that extra cash to do the same thing differently - push-pulls are certainly the cheapest and most simple way to go.

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hello! Thank you for the help! I selected a humbucking pickup that I was told by the builder would sound good with the coil tap mod. I actually have a Fender 5-way Super Switch, but I plan on installing that in another Tele I'm also working on. Again, I'm doing this largely as a learning experience, so if it doesn't sound great I can try something else, but for now I would like to use the hardware I already have if I can.

Thank you again for your help!

Kenneth Mountain and Shaytan like this.
  17. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hey guys! Does anyone know if I can still use my Push/Pull pot as the volume pot in the diagram above? And if not, could someone help me find a wiring diagram using my pickups and a Fender 5-way Super Switch? Ive tried using that Seymour Duncan page that everyone seems to linking to, but I can’t figure out how to get options like the push/pull pots or a super switch to work. All I can do is more basic configurations. Any help would be very, very helpful and appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  18. MuleFan

MuleFan Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    Upstate New York USA
    Hey guys! Any input here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I think this is too complicated for any of us to understand - you might get more answers at Strat-Talk. I've never heard of multiple kinds of push/pull 500k pots with different lug combinations....

Kenneth Mountain and MuleFan like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice