Quality levels of all the different Squiers

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by MyToyBrain, Mar 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Great conversation and opinions based on experience have already been posted. I have downsized (boo!) from 20 something to five with only three playable currently. Yet I need to get my hands on some NCs.

Way down in the comments I finally saw mention of the oft forgotten Series 24. I owned two M-77s. Fine guitars, quality builds, unique HH tones. I already regret letting them go.

M-77.jpg

VealCutlet, jefffam, drewcp and 2 others like this.
  2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Squier Talker

Mar 29, 2014
    NJ
    my absolute current fave solid body electrics are the bottom-feeder made-in-indonesia squier bullets and can be had for 150 (120 on sale) at MF. as is, they are absolutely fine for a newbie and just require a setup for action and intonation. replacing all electronics will make them all ready for stage or studio, promise. i've bought and transformed at least a dozen of them to date, with no regrets. note: they MUST be "MII" built - made in indonesia - not china.

3. winnsworld

winnsworld Squier Talker

Mar 8, 2019
    Market Harborough, UK
  4. Fendermackem

Fendermackem New Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have a model that could be added to the list - a 1987 MIK Young Chang E10-series Fender Strat Special that I believe is a Fender-badged Squier? Lovely playing guitar that seems to be very good quality

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    dbrian66 and Angry Possum like this.
  5. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Nut

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    We don't need a heads-up that there's a link coming.....just post the link ! :D

dbrian66 and jefffam like this.
  6. jasper

jasper New Member

Sep 8, 2019
    East Yorkshire, UK
    I have three Squiers in my collection. A Jaguar bass, an SE Strat which I bought for the princely sum of £10.00 which is quite tidy and plays surprisingly well and then of course there's my favourite go-to guitar which is in my Squier Telecaster Custom fitted with Duncan Design P90s.
    I have seven electric guitars excluding two bass guitars in my armoury to choose from including a genuine Fender Telecaster fitted with Tex Mex pups and a Gretsch 5120 but I always reach for the Squier Custom whenever I wan't to try out new gear or a new song. Of all the guitars I've ever owned, apart from my old stage guitar it's probably the only one I wouldn't sell.

I bought it for a project to be used as a donor body for some bespoke pups which I had on my old stage guitar which had taken a bit of a battering at something like 250 shows per year for the 10 years I was using it but I liked the sound from the Squier Custom pups so much that I binned the idea of it being a donor body and set about fret leveling, shimming the neck and adjusting the action such that it is probably the best playing guitar I've ever owned. I really wouldn't part with it as it's a versatile guitar and if I was still pro touring today it would be my guitar of choice for the country-rock/R&R/rockabilly music I still enjoy playing. It also lends itself to a bit of jazz and heavy rock too.

I've never been remotely interested in the brand name on the headstock...it's what the guitar sounds like that counts and if it's right for the music you play, that's what matters. The little guitar I used for 10 years of my pro career while I was on the road was host to two pups I had wound for me and boy did it sound great. It still does now that I've restored the guitar but it was just a Japanese LP Junior style body from the 1970s with specially wound pups...however it was like a player magnet...I used to get guitarists coming up to me all the time to find out what the guitar was all about so I was never outclassed by others who had top brand names on their guitar headstocks. They were usually far more interested in my guitar than me theirs.

The SE I own I got cheap as the guy was moving and had been given it by his brother, I just wanted a cheap guitar to leave at my caravan for when I visit it each month but with this Coronavirus issue it might have to wait until next year.
    The neck of the SE is a bit chunky for my preference but the guitar plays exceptionally well and really too good to be just left lying around in a caravan...so I might upgrade the pups on that as I have a Westfield brand Strat which I bought cheap and set it up perfectly and it sounds and plays as good as your average Strat any day if not better and there's no reason why the SE can't do the same.

VealCutlet, dbrian66 and jefffam like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    All the top level Squiers are MIC. The myth about MII is just a myth. It's ingrained in our heads that one is better than the other. Meanwhile, all are built to Fender specs.

Granted, I've used that myth as a selling point to move stuff on Reverb. I guess if you say it enough, people will believe it.

8. Hoosefosses

Hoosefosses Squier Talker

Jan 18, 2020
    Sharon PA,USA
    I actually LOVE every affinity series Squier I've ever owned,their the entry level,fender does one offs I guess you'd call them like the MB4 skull and bones model, it's not built as good as an affinity in my opinion though, very cheap entry level bass, it's nice out of the box but needs upgrading for it to be the metal monster it's supposed to be. I keep hearing about squier STANDARD models , aren't the affinities the "standard" models? The vintage modified series is on the upper end just a bit below the classic vibe series I guess, I've never found any difference in the VMs and CVs, as far as the build quality of the VMs it's VERY comparable to the Mexican Fenders, I took the neck off my 70s VM jazz, their actual slabs of wood not plywood or composite material you see in cheaper basses, AND the necks and bodies have the stamp on them indicating the builder and build date, just like their big brothers.

VealCutlet and dbrian66 like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    No, the Standard is a line above the Affinity. Though, if you talk about sales quantities, I'd believe that the standard is the Affinity.

BUT ... for $50 more than the Affy, the Standard is a major step up. Absolutely worth the extra $50. You get a whole lot more for your money.

I only have 1 Standard in my collection. Not sure I'm going to keep it.

10. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Interesting what people think and their opinions. I guess everyone has their own ideas on quality.

My personal thoughts is that I disagree with all the Bullets below the Affinity's. Both are skinny bodies with about the same quality of hardware and pickups. For me, the skinny neck of the Affinity makes it an automatic non-starter. The 'regular' 42mm neck is way skinny enough. Wider is infinitely better to me. With the wider neck and being Yako built, I personally would rate the NC over an SE. SE's can be Chinese or Indonesian, NC's (and YN's) are all Yako built showing the superior quality of a Yako built guitar. While I like the sound of the stock NC pickups, if it had good Alnico's and sealed tuners, I would rate it at least on par with Standards, or maybe higher.

The other thing, to me, is the Indonesian vs Chinese built guitars. I have and have had both. Indonesian Squier's are serviceable guitars, having all the components to play readily. However, they are assembled in mass numbers, (they all are, Chinese and Indonesian), but the Chinese built, especially the Yako built are different. I have no idea what they do, but a Yako built guitar screams and begs to be played. They are always comfortable and to play. Each still has it's personality, but an immensely enjoyable guitar always.. An Indonesian build is serviceable, but I find with no personality or soul at all.

On the upper and high line Squiers, I've had VM's, but no CV's or the other specialty lines (Contemporary, Venus, Japanese, etc.) For good players it's great they have that quality build available. The NC line far exceeds my playing ability. I could not do an expensive guitar justice. As Clint said (as Dirty Harry), "A man has to know his limitations."

VealCutlet, Brocephus and dbrian66 like this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I have one very expensive guitar. I'm thinking of selling it. It's getting ZERO use. It's in the case, in the closet. What's the point?

I may put it up for sale. I can use the money against another used car that I may need soon.

12. I don't think much is moving with this whole social distancing thing. I did contact a guy selling a couple of SE's as a package deal, but stated I can't deal during the current situation.
    Cheers, Barrie.

Ricky3Fingerd and dbrian66 like this.
  13. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    LOL. I know tht story all too well. I joined the forum, as I had a Squier (later identidied as a Standard) that was a gift from my wife that I simply disliked in virtually every way. I was looking for why so many love their Stratocaster and Maple necks. I found a lot of answers. Although I've never see nor heard any decent excuse for Maple necks. It's amasing how things grow from the influences here. I had one acoustic, Two Jay Turser electrics and the 20th Anniversary Squier Strat. Now I have quite a few more.

Guitar family 3 25 20 .jpg

14. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    I have a japan 1994 strat and is superb , never needed other strat.

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Why aren’t you playing it Eddie? Is because your afraid to damage it or because you like the cheaper guitars better?

I love my Squiers, and they get a ton of the play time, but my two Gibson’s are always out and they get played as well. I am not afraid to play any of my guitars.

Ricky3Fingerd and Best1989 like this.
  16. drneilmb

drneilmb Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2019
    Iowa, USA
    I would not say that the MIK E10 Fenders are "Fender-badged Squiers". It's a guitar that was made and had a Fender logo put on the headstock.

Remember that the guitars we buy are made in factories and as a final step have a brand name put on. I love my MIK E10 Fender strat that I bought new in 1988 and when I bought it as an eleven-year-old I thought I was better than someone with a cheap-o Squier, but now I know better. My guitar could have had a "Squier" label put on if it had been made on a different day, but that doesn't make it a re-baged Squier, it just reminds me that the brand name on the headstock means very, very, very little.

MyToyBrain and dbrian66 like this.
  17. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I always fall in love with it when you post new pictures lol What pickups do you have on it?

drewcp, Ricky3Fingerd and dbrian66 like this.
  18. Raulo

Raulo New Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Argentina
    I'd like to differentiate one aspect in particular between the SE model made in China that I have (discussed extensively in this forum) and some models made in Indonesia, all with standard dimensions. The guitars I have from Indonesia (standard and bullet) have higher frets and I think that for that reason the necks of those guitars are more comfortable.

19. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub Squier Talker

Feb 16, 2019
    Minnesota
    Great question! And thanks for all the replies. I have always wondered the same thing.
    A few questions and one observation. Aren’t Squire Deluxes Classic Vibes? What is a Yako? And abbreviations should be outlawed!!!
    Thanks again gang. Love this Squire forum!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice