Put my old carpentry skills to work today!

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by Masshole, Jul 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    This morning at work I came across a nice shipping pallet mostly made of oak! Decided if take it home,take it apart and use the slats too build a pedalboard!
    Used some pine I had kicking around for the frame and the oakfor the top slats!
    24"x19" this size will give me plenty of room for expansion in the future!
    Got everything cut and cleaned up this afternoon,went for some dinner and came home to put it all together! Lastly I applied the first coat of poly! I was gonna stain it first but decided to just go with a glossy poly and leave it natural looking!
    Updates to come!
    20170722_182318.jpg 20170722_193835.jpg 20170722_200017.jpg

cool gouhl, so1om, Big tuna and 13 others like this.
  2. jefffam

jefffam Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Looks nice. I'm all about re-purposing wood where possible. Very creative.

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    You must have a lot of pedals or a lot of pedal-GAS.:)

4. nobucks

nobucks Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
  5. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    Just making sure I don't have to build a new board in a year from now! I just don't know what the future will bring but I'll be prepared!

6. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    I was thinking about adding an a.c. power outlet in the side.

I'm not to sure about this but would 2- 1/4 jacks on each side work for running the effect loop?
    Left side, guitar in 1/4" #1, from there tuner,wah, overdrive and out 1/4" #2 to the effect loop of the amp,effect send too right side of board 1/4" #1 into delays,and reverb,then out 1/4" #2 to amp???

Will this work? Or am i crazy?
    Do they sell 1/4" jacks that will work for this??

nobucks, ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Are you using a 9/18 volt power supply for the pedals ?

psupply.jpg

??????

ElRey67 likes this.
  8. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    You def got skills ! Nice board :cool:

9. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Masshole,
    You are making me want one!
    Nice to see you using your resourcefulness and tapping into some old skills.

Masshole and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    The board looks great ! What did you want the AC outlet for ? I can't visualize the "loop" you are asking about - can you rough out a drawing ? lol A lot of us are visual on here ! I use two amps myself - sans any internal effects loops from the amp. Call me Ken ! ( must I forever live this newbie mistake ? LOL )

ElRey67 likes this.
  11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    You can buy a pass-through (nickel or black). Hat-tip to @StillSourDiesel for this.
    http://www.creationmusicsupply.com/1-4-in-solderless-pass-through-jack-nickel/
    [​IMG]

12. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    Pedal GAS! I've never really had a pedal board. Foot controllers for modeling amps but never a pedal board with individual pedals! So I'm going big,planning on buying pedals when I can and eventually building myself a killer rig!
    I'm mainly a bedroom guitarist so it's kinda like a piece of furniture! Looks nice and never moves!
    If a band opportunity ever arises I'll definitely be building myself a smaller more compact board! Most definitely with more reclaimed lumber!

Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  13. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Great board. I was thinking of one also. The pallet is a great idea. :)

Masshole and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Nice job!

Pallets are poor quality out here or I would be so on that!

I built a few out of pine and found like many other projects new design ideas come from not being happy with what I built. Ended up building a stepped one for easier back row access, this was mainly due to buying a MESS of cheap nano and mini Asian pedals. Which I might add are surprisingly great sounding.

Kenneth Mountain and Davis Sharp like this.
  15. Inventive ! When I worked (retired now) I used to come across some real nice maple pallets. Never used any but it did cross my mind.
    Gee that lawn is green. With our drought the lawn is crunchy and the color corn flakes.

Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. Masshole

Masshole Squier-Meister

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts USA
    Here in Massachusetts we had a drought last summer and our lawns paid for it big time, worst year for my lawn ever! This year it hasn't stopped raining since February!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  17. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    When I have a project to do, I often wait until I see neighbors throw out old desks,shelves, plywood or pallets... free wood! Among my projects is a 4x8" closed-back speaker cabinet out of a bookshelf that my neighbor was tossing... can't beat free. And if it turns out bad, or you make a mistake, you're not out $$$ worth of good new wood.

18. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier Talker

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yes you can do that. On mine, I put all four jacks in one corner. The four plugs are instrument in, out to loop, back from loop, and out to amp. I just used regular guitar jacks and made my own cables under the board. Soldered them to the jacks. Keeps things neater. I also ran a 110v cord to the board and put two outlets under the board to plug my power supply into. There is also an on/off switch for the 110 power.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Masshole, Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.