Publicly embarrassing myself for the sake of others: Occam's Razor never fails.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by optofonik, Mar 7, 2019.

1. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I recently posted about a "bad pot". The solution warranted a thread of it's own to serve as a stand alone cautionary tail.

First this...
    http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html

I spent an inordinate amount of time tracking down an unnecessarily complex solution before considering the possibility of a simple one. A very simple one; a solution that anyone who has worked with electronics for as long as I have should know to try first. If I had been at work I would have been supremely embarrassed and maybe even chastised.

I sprayed down the pot with contact cleaner.

[​IMG]

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I don't know how old you are, but at 61 I find that I don't go for the complicated solution first as often as I used to. I still do it, just not as often. :)

3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    lol.. yep. Take the guitar apart and then realize the amp wasn't on.
    Every once in awhile I do something like that. Maybe not as extreme as the amp wasn't on but about as dumb.

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug, Davey and 2 others like this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    The old man that broke me in on the maintenance crew in the factory taught me that as the first rule..Look for the simplest thing first and save yourself a lot of work..
    We'd get a call to come to the press room (first thing in the morning) because someones press wouldn't start..
    When I'd get there I'd see right away that the night operator had thrown the main switch at the wall..Or they had turned the air valve off..
    So 10 or 15 minutes of production is lost because of a simple little thing..lol..
    KISS rules..

5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I worked maintenance 26 years. I bet 30-40% (being conservative) of unscheduled repair requests fell into the category Operator Headspace. It happens.

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Well the thing that bugged me was there was a foreman and a die setter/leadman there that should have seen that..
    I could have been using that time on an important repair (or finishing my morning coffee)..

7. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    The most important "repair" of mental clarity!!

8. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Working on F4-C/D Phantom II attack radar in the Air Force broke me of over-complicating matters. Most radar related problems existed between the back seat controls and the back seat itself. Military PEBKAC in a way.

I bought a Dean Thoroughbred Deluxe used so I tried it out before plunking down my duckets for it. The neck pickup was very intermittent so I mentioned it to the salesman. He immediately had their tech look at it where after digging around in the back of the selector switch cavity, he deemed it a bad selector. They threw in a Switchcraft switch that I would put in myself for a $50 cut on the sale price.

It was a bad volume pot, just as I had suspected. The tech felt otherwise so it cost them money for the cut in price and the cost of a switchcraft switch.

9. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

If someone heard a quack at the crime scene, always question the ducks first...

10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I'm going to steal this one ! ! kudos !

11. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    In tech-speak, it's referred to as an ID Ten T call. (Write the number instead of spelling it.)

12. VMamp

VMamp Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    ........look on the bright side, from your original post you now know that in the event it needs replacing you will need a fender replacement part or source a 250k reverse log (C250 = reverse log) .

13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Exa
    Exactly! I also learned the difference between CTS and Alpha pots.

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    I picked up my troubleshooting process from working on my cars in my late teens (out of necessity, not hot rodding). Go with simple, most likely and easiest to execute option first. Last thing on the list? The one that takes the most labor. At least that way, if it is the last thing, the whole system has been gone over top to bottom, so it should all work great for a while.

15. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-Nut

Feb 13, 2019
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    We would shorten that one to simply an I/O error. (idiot operator)

16. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    Agreed. Since life started whacking me early, I've had two simple things happen at once. My Volkswagen beetle coasted into a gas station, totally out of gas, and even the carb's float bowl was empty, because I had to crank it a long time to get that filled up. One frustrating day later, after going over the whole car from top to bottom, I discovered that the distributor's condenser had failed at the same moment I ran out of gas.

17. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Zero turn riding lawn mower will not start, not cranking. Attempt to jump start. Install good battery. Break current battery's positive post while removing. Lose mower key, using pocket knife blade instead. Still won't crank.

Mower sits in middle of yard. Ambulances are standing by while I use push mower. Twice. It took parts of five days to mow entire lawn. Twice.

Mower must have certain controls positioned properly to start such as parking brake and control arms in neutral. If there was a seat switch it was removed prior to my purchase. The blade engagement switch must be pushed down in the "off" position. Crap. Geeze I'm a dummy. What a moron.

New switch with two keys, $22.

+1 for contact cleaner on pots and switches.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice