PSA: Offset CV versions of VMs are quite different. If you want closer to vintage VM specs...

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by optofonik, Feb 14, 2019.

1. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

You should snatch up NOS VMs and CVs now.

This is something of an addendum to another post about the VM Bass VI I'm auditioning.

I've been reading what specs are available, making comparisons, and am learning that the CV versions of VMs are different enough that an EGP might be warranted; an "Emergency Guitar Purchase".

That's a thing, right. An EGP?

Anyone who doesn't want to resort to hunting down something on the used market at a later date, someone who wants to buy new with a warranty, should do so now. The Vintage Modified line is done and with the consolidation of former VM models into the CV line anything still in retail stock is NOS (including the previous versions of CVs). Perhaps justifying a discount haggle or, better yet, GC/SA clearance sales.

Also note, the new CVs also have some differences compared to the old.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I seriously doubt that the current CV Strats and Teles are going away. Besides the fact that they're constant best sellers, I can't see Fender not offering a maple neck CV Strat, or a CV Tele with single coils, neither of which exist in the new CV 70s models.

nicod98 and Taurus like this.
  3. TurtleFang

TurtleFang Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2017
    TBD
    I've grabbed my pitchfork.... but at this point I'm not sure why.

What are these differences you speak off? [EDIT: found them in your other thread post]

optofonik likes this.
  4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    There are quite a few...types of pickups, body wood, fingerboard material for the "old" VMs. Mainly I'm interested in how the things sound.

Taurus and optofonik like this.
  5. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

You have to define "going away".

In name?

No.

The specs have indeed changed, however. Some changes are subtle but others will make a difference in sound and feel. Folks to whom that sort of thing matters and have been holding off should look into the differences and see if pulling the trigger on NOS is an option they want to exercise now.

If you played around with the pre 2019 VMs and CVs and loved 'em, it's new now or used later.

Indeed. I really wish the specs of the new FD pups were available.

Taurus likes this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    What specs have changed on CV 50's and 60's Strats and Teles, and CVC Teles? I don't see any.

Taurus likes this.
  7. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I suspect you're looking for a fight as opposed to information. Been there. Done that. Not gonna play. I posted a "PSA" as a heads up and a way to give back to ST.

Next topic...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Caddy and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm not looking for a fight. I wanted you to tell me what specs have changed that I wasn't aware of, to educate me. I guess you don't want to provide that information, even though you state so.

Taurus and so1om like this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    None....

Only the VM's have changed to become CV's

10. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I was able to pick up a Fender MIM Mustang a couple weeks ago that was NOS and still had the rosewood fingerboard. It probably doesn't make any difference in playability, but I think a guitar neck should be either plain maple, rosewood or ebony. :)

11. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

• All pups on all CVs are FD not DD.
    • All CVs are now made in Indonesia, not China.

I rest my case.

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    How do you folks think a FD pickup would sound compared to a DD for a vintage(ish) sound?

Las Palmas Norte likes this.
  13. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

That's my main question but without published specs there's no way to know until the new CVs hit the street and people start testing them.

Caddy likes this.
  14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I admittedly know little about NAMM but generally in the past I've seen some limited playing demos for new models. I don't remember seeing (hearing) any similar demos regarding this new lineup. I would have thought that I would be seeing something because this, at least to me, seems a fairly significant change. Am I missing something? I mean we get to see all of the new CV guitars hung up on their hangers but nobody thinks to actually pick one up, plug it in and play "Stairway to Heaven" or something? Anything?

optofonik likes this.
  15. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I've searched and only found what you're describing. Point to a guitar on a hanger, talk about how great the improvements are, point to another guitar on a hanger... "lather rinse repeat". Sometimes, however, they pull a guitar off a hanger instead of just pointing to it.

Taurus and BlueSquirrel like this.
  16. I got the last VM 70's Stratocaster at Best Buy (Canada) in my region a couple of months ago. It was reduced considerably from regular retail and I also got an additional 10% off at the check out.
    Wound up spending $215 CAD = $161 USD. Cheers, Barrie.

horax, BlueSquirrel and optofonik like this.
  17. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I read somewhere about "tall narrow frets" vs medium jumbo on the new Jazzmaster. That would be different?

optofonik and Guitarmageddon like this.
  18. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Yes! I totally forgot about that. That could be a deal breaker for some.

19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Hard to say since we haven't seen the specs or heard the new pickups, but I'm guessing that they'll be more vintage style than the DD ones, which were very hot overwound pickups, and didn't have the sparkly/chimey/glassy highs of a vintage style Strat pickup, at least to my ears.

Taurus likes this.
  20. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Amazing deal, Barrie! Cheers!

VealCutlet and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice