Project Deluxe Hot Rails...

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by LarsN, May 20, 2019.

1. LarsN

LarsN Squier Talker

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    As I mentioned in my New Member Thread - I got a Squier Deluxe Hot Rails. When I took the pickguard off I noticed that mine had the same problem many others did, where the Bridge pickup was located in the Middle position. Since I was going to tear it all down to fix that I went ahead and scheduled a bunch of small upgrades that should make playing the guitar a lot nicer, but also make it mine. Which is cool since it's technically only my second Guitar.

I put in a Graphtech Tusq XL nut.
    All Parts Locking Tuners (these were drop-in replacements.)
    and some roller string trees.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also replaced the string saddles with StringSavers
    [​IMG]

And replaced all the electronic guts.
    CTS 250k ohm pots (I know the hot rails came with 500k, but I wanted to try for a little different tone.)
    Orange Drop cap.
    Oak Grigsby 5pos Switch.
    And Switchcraft jack.
    [​IMG]

Now I just have to decide if I'm painting the body Arctic White and installing the Blue Pearlized pickguard I've got ordered. Or leave it black with the Blue pickguard. After I make that decision, it's off to getting set up since I screwed up and didn't think to mark/measure the saddle locations before removing the old ones. I also don't have the small precision file sets to set the nut height.

stratman420, duggerh, Eddie and 8 others like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s a nice guitar! I want a hot rails Strat. I have a stock SE that will be a good candidate for a conversion someday! :)

Since the Tusq nuts that I buy are pre-slotted, I just sand down the bottom of the nut to get the proper string height. If you get the right Tusq nut, it’s always a little bit too big on every dimension. That way you can shape it down to fit your guitar perfectly.

3. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Oh my! That looks great! I sold mine because I didn't get along with the hotrails... BUT... the neck was amazing!

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  4. I have one I rescued a year and a half ago. The guy I bought it from was going to install dual humbuckers o_O.
    I left it totally stock in appearance but "split tone" to go single if I wanted ... I rarely do tho.

Yours looks great and I should do the Tusq nut on mine too.

HR-01.jpg
    HR-02.jpg
    HR-03.jpg

Cheers, Barrie.

5. LarsN

LarsN Squier Talker

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Y'all!

I think at least for now I'm going to leave the Guitar Black, and put the Blue Pearloid pickguard on it. Next up though I need to get the guitar set up.

6. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I have one in white- switched to a black pickguard for more of the "Jake E Lee" look. I like the factory saddles and had no problem with the factory nut but added a big GFS trem block and a push-pull bottom tone pot to split all of the factory pickups (which actually seem pretty "stratty" split. My pickups were properly installed from the factory which seems to be unusual with this model LOL

White.jpg

Las Palmas Norte and dbrian66 like this.
  7. LDS714

LDS714 Squier-Meister

Oct 23, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Setups aren't hard. If you can replace the output jack, cap, and switch then the ability to do intonation and string height is really just a few Youtube videos away.

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, youtube is my best friend. :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, I have an NC with HHH Hot Rails from RRG. It's killer. But it changes the Strat tone. Very different from a LP also. So it's a great combo to have in the line up. :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Meister

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Looks great! Although it looks like your nut could use a bit of sanding, it's sticking out the side a bit. Like others have said, they make the Tusq nuts just a little bit too big in every dimension so you can shape it to your perfect size.

I have one in every one of my (non-Floyd) electrics save my new CV50's and that's mostly because I don't want to wreck the beautiful finish on that neck just yet.

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. LarsN

LarsN Squier Talker

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    The Squier Bullet I borrowed from a friend had a similar nut, and honestly, I think it was fine. The nut and saddles weren't very expensive, and I really just thought it would be fun to build a very nice high end playing strat out of a Squier. I got such a good deal on the guitar itself, I still feel like I'm way ahead.

If you ever have a chance I would love to see a rough wiring diagram of how you split all three of the coils.
    I imagine it has something to do with the red and white wires coming off the pickups that are just shorted together, and insulated but would love to hear more because I'd love to be able to play a SSS, or HHH out of the same guitar.

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. LarsN

LarsN Squier Talker

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Go easy.... I'm new....

But the Hot Rails Lives!

mofojar likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice