Pro tone vs classic vibe vs MIM fender?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by horax, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Quartersawn. Darn auto fill.

2. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Could look more like 45 to 90 degrees.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Quartersawn refers to tight and straight grain in the piece....I have plenty of necks with the grain running at a 45 or so and they're considered flat sawn because the grain has waves and isn't tight and straight....

Regardless, it's a beautiful guitar...

4. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    How about the Fender Modern Player (HSS, HSH), It's in the same price range as the MIM or the CV give or take and we now have a Chinese entry to throw in! I would probably opt for the HSS over the rest of the guitars mentioned in Horax's opening question selections. I really like the Modern Player!

5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Not exactly correct. I used to have a business making custom hardwood furniture. It has to do with the angle that the board is cut from the log.

You may want to check out this link.
    http://www.hardwooddistributors.org/blog/postings/what-is-quarter-sawn-wood/

6. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Flat sawn lumber would have the grain running nearly parallel with the face.

7. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I would have argued for the classic vibe first, pro tone second,MIM third. Then I found a 2006 Mexi.60's classic player.Custom shop 69 pickups,cts pots.I think on any given day the right guitar could become your new favorite.

8. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I was bidding on a Squier Silver Series strat on ebay and watching a Pro Tone. I was outbid on the Silver Series so bought the Pro Tone but the person who outbid me on the Silver Series didn't play nice when it came to paying and I was given the option of buying the Silver Series and thought "screw it" and bought it and it arrived yesterday

I have a Japanese Squier Contemporary strat but it's a custom job, just a Seymour Duncan JB at the bridge and just a volume control and a Schaller Floyd Rose and Schaller tuners. It's red with a black scratchplate and rosewood board, the Silver Series is red with black scratchplate and maple board. They do look rather purty sitting next to each other as I type, the Silver Series is heavier but doesn't have the big scoop of wood taken out of the back of the top wing as the Contemporary strat does, part of the cost cutting Fender Japan had to do

I also have a MIM Fender 70's reissue strat, nice ash body with no paint and a rosewood neck

The Pro Tone though is the sapphire blue and is actually lighter than the Silver/Contemporary strats. I like all four (well five, have an Ibanez Prestige which I'm going to sell) of my strats but the Pro Tone is something special, it just feels right when you sit down with it

9. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Here's the neck grain on a pro tone that I had, it was a great guitar and in perfect condition. I also had another just like it, but more of a player and more broke in as far as fret wise. That's one thing to consider when getting a pro tone is the frets are more of a vintage size on the red ones. I have had a few of each to compare and there were some that felt better and played better than other's of the same kind, so I think I would sit down with it for awhile and decide.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  10. D34dBaWx

D34dBaWx Squier-holic

Dec 23, 2009
    Ark
    I think the classic vibes are over hyped. It just my opinion and we all are going to vary in that respect. Hell even two guys who praise them as the second coming of Christ are going to have differing opinions on them. But I have to say, if you can grab a protone that is in good shape and sounds good it is ludicrous to let it get away from you. At the end of the day, no matter what price point you are shopping in Squier/Fender has to some amazing guitars. You just have to put the effort into finding that cherry in sea of guitars. I have played some MIM Fender that were better than Americans, Americans that were better than MIM, and some Squier's that with a little work were better than Fenders. It is all relative........

11. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Dr. Squier

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Very nice grain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. rockape

rockape Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2009
    UK
    I don't know if 'over hyped' is the right description (for me).

I think it's players in general who just recognise their amazing value for money?

The Pro Tone is a better equipped (better quality parts) guitar for sure! (the necks are similarly thin, but supremely slick to play). More contemporary in a way.

For playing comfort, body wise, I think the CV's have it.
    The pickups in both models are great!

I have always been a bit unsure on the PT headstock shape though.....a bit too much of a 'sanded down' look for me, but that decal script is very cool (used only on these models)

Btw, I saw a silver body CV Strat today...didn't know they made them in that colour?

13. EGrier

EGrier Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    I'm with you there. Thats why on the black logo Squiers that I have, I changed them to look like the Pro Tone logo.

14. Totally Squiered

Totally Squiered Squier-Nut

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    I have to agree. I am certainly on the CV side of the fence, not owning one, but the ones I tried out in the shop have been beautifully crafted instruments.
    And on the point of the Chinese entrant: My wonderful other half gave me the Fender Modern Player Shortscale Strat for my birthday. It is Chinese built and priced only a few Euros different from the CV. I have to say that the feel and finish of the guitar is so close to the CVs I've had in my hands that I have to wonder if it was (as I have seen rumoured) built in the same factory to similar specs, a bit like I've read about the early Young Chang E7 squiers also appearing with a fender logo.
    ImageUploadedBySquier-Talk Forum1420977765.172625.jpg
    I haven't had a chance to open her up yet to see if the single coils are also Toneriders. The product info from fender just says 'vintage style single coils'. The humbucker is from Guild and rocks. And the single coils sound like alnicos to me. Lovely and rich and warm. All around she's a beautiful guitar, plays and sounds great, which is why I'm wondering if she's secretly a Squier in disguise ;)
    Maybe one of you CV owners can cast your expert eye across her and see how she compares to a CV. As soon as I get round to opening her up I intend to post some pics of the pups and maybe get an ID from one of you in the know. But she has vintage style tuners. Fender stamped bent steel saddles etc. any ideas? ImageUploadedBySquier-Talk Forum1420978523.510920.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySquier-Talk Forum1420979210.352168.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySquier-Talk Forum1420979230.516233.jpg

15. rockape

rockape Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2009
    UK
    The saddles look like the narrow spacing MIM jobbies.

16. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Your guitar is beautiful! Congrats on that one!

17. Totally Squiered

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    Thanks. I like how it comes stock with the tort pickguard. And I'm falling in love with the shortscale. It just seems to suggest places for your fingers to go.

18. Totally Squiered

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    That's an interesting observation. So a departure from CV specs on that front?
    One similarity I find with the CV and this MP shortscale is the colour and gloss of the neck. I've noticed that the CVs have quite a dark golden honey colour to the gloss on the back of the neck as does this guitar.