Power chords

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by bdbrown, Feb 29, 2016.

1. bdbrown

bdbrown Squier-Nut

Dec 2, 2013
    Tulsa
    Do you tend to play these chords with a two fingers , rather than how they are noted?

chords.PNG

tazz3 and so1om like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    E with 3, 4
    F 1,3, 4
    G 1, 3, 4
    A 1
    B 1, 3, 4
    C 1, 3 4

Sometimes I substitute me for him by using 2 for 3,4

oh.. Sometime E, 1

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  3. bdbrown

bdbrown Squier-Nut

Dec 2, 2013
    Tulsa
    so use all 3 fingers. I have been all up and down neck with just 2 fingers...Makes some transitions hard....make chords easy

Might be learning REALLY BAD HABITS huh?

4. bdbrown

bdbrown Squier-Nut

Dec 2, 2013
    Tulsa
    might be why I have trouble going from power chords to bar chords....??? :)

5. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I pretty much play E and A (2nd fret) power chords with 1 and all others with 1 and 3

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I think because of my back ground with bar chords, I tend to bar 2 adjoining strings a lot..Other wise usually 3 fingers..

SexyGibson and tazz3 like this.
  7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I use one finger for the E and A and three for the rest. It's easier to fret two strings with my index finger than my ring finger.

8. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I typically use all three fingers. It does make transition from power to barre a lot easier.

jackdragbean and ElRey67 like this.
  9. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

Have never thought about it.... may fret with multiple fingers, but mute and play power chords with just a finger or two.....damn...one more thing I don't need to think about!!!!

10. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    I play 1, 3, 4 on E string chords, but it has become habit for me to play A string power chords with pointer and pinky because that's how I also play full barre A major shape chords.

11. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    I can honestly say I don't play any power chords in the positions suggested, except for the Em , which I'd "barre" with one finger.

12. bdbrown

bdbrown Squier-Nut

Dec 2, 2013
    Tulsa
    Great comments above... I do like playing (now this along in Rocksmith) with 2 fingers stuff, but there are songs on it that go from a power to bar and back....My 3rd and 4th finger are lazy and don't want to play chords..all right on solo's but .......
    Guess I need to change up my playing style now while I can...
    Still learning how is best for the next bit.

Thanks for the help

anything else would be highly appreciated

Ghostlyone and squierTony like this.
  13. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    This is great info guys. Never fail to learn something new here.

14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    It really depends on the song.
    I RARELY use the 1/2 fingers for an A or E power chord (unless some Chuck Berry action is going on), more likely I'll use #2/3 or 3/4 fingers in case the "full" version or variation of the chord (or one near it) is required at some point. If it's something AC/DC-like, I'll bar the A/E chords with the # 1 finger alone (think "Dirty Deeds").

txflood likes this.
  15. Ghostlyone

Ghostlyone Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2015
    New Hampshire, USA
    I started off with two finger, precisely because it was easier. Found out it made doing other techniques more difficult. I had to retrain myself to use 1,2, & 4.

jackdragbean likes this.
  16. bdbrown

bdbrown Squier-Nut

Dec 2, 2013
    Tulsa
    You guys are great. I am working now to do the correct fingering on power chords. It will be slow but I think it will make my playing better..

radiotech likes this.
  17. tazz3

tazz3 Squier-Meister

Aug 13, 2016
    East Islip ny
    Very nice thanks for posting

18. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I pretty much never play a power chord with 2 fingers unless it's an open E or A D. If you play a G with 1 3 4 it's sounds more full. There are times when you just want the 1 3 but I end up fingering the full power chord anyway.
    It is easy to move to a bar chord too just add a little pressure but your hand is in place already.

19. Nathan1709

Nathan1709 Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Reading
    It depends. I sometimes bar the fifth and the octave with my third finger but other times I'll use my third and fourth fingers. It depends on the song and what I have to transition to next.

VealCutlet likes this.
  20. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-Nut

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    i'm trying to stop using my index finger and pinky exclusively (i'm trying to get better actually, even started to play whole songs without screwing up) i finally played guitar for the first time since new year's since i burned my hand pretty bad. it's like starting over all again