Post up your 80's guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Luthier-Atlanta, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Squier-Meister

Westones always were and still are solid gigging guitars.

They were the staple of many an indie/punk and then later world music bands in the early mid 1980s along with other Matsumoku guitars like Westburys, Electras, early Arias, etc.

Many have been hacked up, many have been forgotten and left under beds and in lofts. Well made, good electronics, nice playing necks, they can easily be resurrected into nice players again.

They are also from a time when guitar manufacturers made original designs and weren't afraid to do so.

2. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Dr. Squier

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Amen Brother!

3. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Yep you guessed it, a few more,,, :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Hammer 4 likes this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    84-86 "JB Player" P-bass copy. Neck-thru, all maple bass (3-piece neck, "soft maple" body 'wings') My #1, never-sell-it bass. Complete with BB gun dent from my cousin shooting at me at the one live show I've played...

5. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    I have it's guitar brother, same all-maple construction
    [​IMG]
    Currently down getting EVERYTHING replaced
    [​IMG]
    New Kahler bridge, to replace the "butt-turrible" original tremelo bridge, SD Hot Rail humbuckers and quality pot/switch to replace the crummy ceramic single coils and cheap electronics. Oh, and a fancy guardplate to replace the single ply black one it came with

Hammer 4 likes this.
  6. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    I'm gonna call this an 80's guitar, since the neck is another JBP piece, from my first guitar
    [​IMG]
    THe necks these came with are FANTASTIC, absolutely perfect size/width/feel. They're standard Fender-spec so they fit on anything. THe rest of the stock guitar is a heavy ply body, cheap electronics and the awful tremelo, so those all got ditched and now this particular guitar (the tuxedo black one) is the body from my 95/96 MIM Squier, and 70's grey-bottom Strat pickups. It's actually my #1 guitar...
    [​IMG]
    I pretty much hated the neck on the Squier (too skinny, in all dimensions) but that one was almost 2# lighter than the JBP. And the tremelo broke on the JBP, leaving the giant route behind
    [​IMG]
    so out came the screwdrivers, and I made one guitar out of both of these.
    [​IMG]
    My oldest daughter claimed it as hers, she plays it all the time. So arguments can be made that it isn't an 80's guitar, or even mine anymore...

7. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    Sigma DR 12-7
    [​IMG]
    All it needs to be playable again is a bridge plate. And tuners. And a nut. Oh, and the saddle, too...
    I always wanted an acoustic 12, and this is the one I could afford... I'm hoping it gets finished before I'm too old to play! It is PROBABLY from early-mid 80s since apparently the specs changed around a lot on these, so they're hard to date. It may (or may not) be all laminate, nobody can agree on that. WHen it was together, and all tuned it sounded great, for about half a song... I found out why it was so affordable once I started taking it apart.

8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    Early 80's Hondo Formula "Ibanez Roadstar" copy.
    Real Roadstars looked like this in 84-86 or so, between being Strat "inspired", and turning into the Floyd Rose-d late 80's-style shred machines (THe "RG-xxx" moniker means, "Roadstar Guitar", apparently)
    [​IMG]
    I really, really dig this guitar. It sounds great, it;s got a fat neck (unlike EVERY Ibanez I've ever had), it's not heavy, and you don't see them often. Plus, since it's a Hondo, I was able to buy TWO of them
    [​IMG]
    for less than one "real" Ibanez... and they don't have the stupid "Pro Rocker" tremelos like the Ibanezes do.
    I bought it expecting to rip out all the electronics, but they sound so nice, I am just leaving it all alone. I've had a lot of Hondos, and this one is by far the nicest, and best constructed one.

9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1981 Matsumoku "Skylark" JCPenney catalog guitar. THese were in one issue of the catalog (81, duh) and turned up for a couple years after that. I reeeeeeeeeeally wanted one from the minute I saw it in the catalog, but there was NO WAY my parents would get me a $400 guitar! Then I saw one at the "JCPenney Outlet Store" my parents went to for school clothes, I'm sure it was broken in some way and returned, but again, "We aren't spending THAT MUCH on a guitar for you!" I did end up getting a guitar from them (a $5 nylon-string acoustic from, you guessed it, the JCP Outlet) a couple years later... untunable, unplayable piece of cardboard junk. Totally unlike this Skylark! Apparently, some music store chain ordered a bunch of these (they had red, bolt-on neck ones, and a red/maple multi-ply set neck Skylark as well) and then went out of business. JCP bought them all and stuck 'em in the catalog, and the rest is history. WHile looking for mine, I kept finding stories of people getting them for $50 from pawn shops and garage sales, of course I paid way more for mine (actually, about the same as the catalog price, adjusted for inflation) THis is by far, the highest-quality guitar I've ever owned. Ash/maple/mahogany/ebony neck, Maxon MMK45 pups (Dimarzio Super-D copies), phase switch, series/parallel switch, coil split, very cool Varitone-type switch and a 9-volt powered booster. I could launch the space shuttle with this beast!
    [​IMG]
    The multi-ply red ones had everything except the booster (and was 24.75" scale instead of this one's 25.5")
    [​IMG]
    And yes, I need to take better pics of it.

4meansduck, corn, Kickstand and 4 others like this.
  10. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    E-9 Strat. Almost showroom, right down to the gloss on the neck.
    [​IMG]

Yamaha SE 250. Surface rust on screws.
    [​IMG]

86. Lotus Sharp Edge 1110 Strat. I have the 1190 located, but it is in sad shape. My 1110 is almost perfect.
    [​IMG]

80's Memphis that looks like the Spectrum listed earlier, just with a different headstock.
    [​IMG]

11. BigMike12

BigMike12 Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2013
    Waterford, Mi
    20121216_124926.jpg Wow! Plenty of great looking 80's hardware out there, guys! Here's my '88 Steinberger GM4T. I bought it new and still have it. They were still building them in Newburgh, NJ back then.

corn, Kickstand and Luthier-Atlanta like this.
  12. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    A new one or two here in this category as well;

1982 Fender Lead II
    1987 Squier System I MIJ
    005 (3).JPG 013.JPG

13. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Probably early 80's Korean Lotus L680, just got it. Thought it was going to be another 70's because of the fantail bridge but it has the tiny pots...... and it also says made in Korea :)

Would have bought it anyways!

[​IMG]

14. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Here's my Squier II E9 and my 89 Yamaha RGX 112.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kickstand and Luthier-Atlanta like this.
  15. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I adopted another mutt, a "Hondo Professional". It's SUPPOSED to look like THIS
    [​IMG]
    When I got it, it looked like THIS
    [​IMG]
    After many rounds of stripper and a bunch of sanding it looked like THIS
    [​IMG]
    And when it's done it should look something like THIS
    [​IMG]
    Somebody before me had stripped all the hardware, belt-sandered off the brown stain, and slopped a bunch of green stain (unevenly) all over it. This is why you're supposed to put a sealer coat down before you stain, kids...

fadetoz, mb doug and Luthier-Atlanta like this.
  16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I also finished a couple of my other 80's guitars:
    [​IMG]
    My JBP got a new guard plate (fancy black/red/black) and Hot Stack pups.
    Also I sold one of my Formulas and rewired the other:
    [​IMG]
    That one needed everything- new pups, 2 new pots, a 3-way switch and cause I'm crazy, I added an on/on/on to do series/parallel/split switching.

17. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    love that bottom guitar, looks fun

Luthier-Atlanta likes this.
  18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I shared this story a few times before ...but this is my 1982 G&L SC-1 I cut my teeth on. Parents scored it for me when I was probably 12 or 13, for no less than $40 bucks. Leo probably laid his hands on this! Its custom, as SC-1s are one-pickup, non-tremolo guitars. As Kid Congo said---Rare as The Yeti.

As a dumb kid I hated the eighties aesthetic so I made my own pickguard for it, and once I had enough cash I had a guy do the guard for me in some kind of tort material (I was a sucker for tort even back then). I also printed one of my lino block cuts on the surface for the design at the base. All wear marks are genuine...it wasn't bought like that.

cropGL.JPG

11-24-09 159.jpg

DJGranite, daan, corn and 3 others like this.