Post up your 70's guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Luthier-Atlanta, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Dr. Squier

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Three more since the conception of this thread;
    1973 Ampeg Super Stud
    1976 Univox Ripper
    1979 Ovation Viper

024.JPG s-l16hy00.jpg 002.JPG

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    mb doug, Kickstand and calihick like this.
  2. calihick

calihick Squier-Nut

Mar 12, 2015
    west coast
    Super cool, L.A. Really dig the Ampeg.....

Luthier-Atlanta likes this.
  3. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Since I was on here last, I actually finished my green Mats. guitar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Davey, byronius, SoundDesign and 3 others like this.
  4. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    A new one in the house, I have been wanting one of these bad!
    1976 Electra MPC X320 IMG_6960.JPG IMG_6952.JPG IMG_6951.JPG

5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    1979 Alvarez 5064 004_cr.jpg

Davey, ElRey67, mb doug and 1 other person like this.
  6. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Nice looking Jeff!

jefffam likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Acoustic's eh?

Had this one since I was a lad. Japan built 70's Matao classical. Matao and Lyle were contract brand built or badged for a Music Store chain in the west called..... Music West :)
    [​IMG]
    My Hondo! early run Japan built Hondo copy of a Martin. This is actually a pretty great guitar.
    [​IMG]
    This.... a 70's Japanese built, Chet Atkins Fame. Haven't got around to working on this one yet, doesn't need much more than a bridge, nut and setup, I have the parts but alas....... no excuse. This is an acoustic electric and predates the model with the controls.
    [​IMG]

Not going into the electrics. I loved the 70's for all kinds of reasons :D

jefffam, ElRey67 and mb doug like this.
  8. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
  9. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Thanks! Japan was a goldmine for guitars in the 70's....as you know with your Electra, which, by the way, have the coolest logo and headstock shape in my opinion.

10. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Yeah I love them, in fact I have a bit of a thing for vintage Japanese guitars.....

ElRey67 likes this.
  11. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Me too. A bit of a student of them. Japanese craftsmanship in general as well. Their philosophy and approach to craft.

12. My only 70's guitar is my 1972 MCI/Ibanez Guitorgan B-300 FSG, which is a pre-suit Japanese Ibanez ES-355, that was modified my MCI of Waco, Tx. to be a combination guitar and organ..
    I've posted about this guitar before, but decided to post it here with the wiki info on it (below).

These are fairly special guitars, and are getting hard to find ... especially in the B-300 FSG versions, and/or in decent working order in any version.
    I lucked out and found this one, that's in near pristine condition, with the original reinforced case and all accessories.

These later versions had the frets segmented at an angle so bending a string is as easy as original, and had other improvements over the earlier versions.

1.jpg 2.jpg 9.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

From Wikipedia ....
    Bob Murrell is credited with its invention and Musiconics International (MCI) of Waco, Texas claims to have introduced the Guitorgan. However, many others have created them starting with many models of the guitar. In any case, all have the basics in common: Convert a standard electric guitar into a Guitorgan through the addition of electronic organ components. The most critical part of making a Guitorgan is to separate each guitar fret into six segments, creating independent contact switches for each string. The organ notes are keyed when a string touches a specific segment, thus, making the ground connection necessary for the organ circuit to produce output. TTL logic circuitry determines the highest fret segment making contact on each string, and prevents simultaneous organ notes on the same string to activate; only the highest organ note played on a particular string will sound.

The organ section in a Guitorgan is a 6-note polyphonic circuit, which allows full guitar chords to be played. The guitar section always remains playable, but organ notes can be played alone or simultaneously with the guitar. The idea behind being a "Guitorganist" is to use the Guitorgan's expression pedal to creatively and accurately bring the organ in and out of the musical foreground while playing the guitar at the same time (and vice versa) as if there are actually two separate musicians playing.

Murrell worked on converting existing products from the late 1960s. In 1968, he had a significant run of instruments based on semi-hollow body guitars from Japan. The B-300 and M-340 are among the most common examples from this run. Also in existence are the M-300 and the B-35 models. The B-300 FSG (Frequency Synthesized Guitorgan) models, introduced in the early 70s along with the B-35, are based on a master oscillator circuit utilizing a special 12-note divider integrated circuit which is an improvement to the older 12 oscillator design, the advantage being that tuning the FSG organ circuit only requires adjustment of the master oscillator frequency rather than adjustment of each of the 12 oscillator frequencies on the older models. Note that FSG pedals cannot be used with non-FSG Guitorgans and vice versa, since the two versions run on a different DC voltage. The multi-pin cable that goes between an FSG pedal and an FSG Guitorgan was labeled with RED ends at MCI for a safety reminder. Bob continued to introduce upgrades to the Guitorgan design that included analog synthesizer interfaces and even MIDI in the mid-1980s.

Following the creation of the Guitorgan, Vox quickly produced their own version, known as the Guitar Organ, which was roughly based on their Continental organ voice boards. In the mid-70's, Godwin produced the rare Organ (Guitar) in two versions. The flagship model had 19 switches and 13 knobs, while the lower model had 16 switches and 4 knobs.

Some of the sounds produced by the Guitorgan can be heard in Teisco Del Rey's "The Many Moods of." Bill Dillon is another practitioner of the Guitorgan. He has performed on many Sarah McLachlan albums and appeared with the Counting Crows. Woody Jackson's guitorgan playing can be heard on Orchestra Superstring's self-titled album and many film soundtracks Ocean's Thirteen, Ocean's Twelve, Fun with Dick and Jane and The Devil Wears Prada to name a few. Wellington-based frank-rock band Hotdog Cereal's "Everyday I'm Doggin'" E.P. includes a number of songs that showcase the guitorgan. These include Dog Me Out, Guitorgasm, and Mr Roth's Haunted Mansion.

It sounds like this (less the weird noise that is showing up in this viddy) ...

13. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Kicking an oldy up

mb doug and Pat V. like this.
  14. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Couldn't find a better one right now! '78 Alembic Long-scale. May be before they adopted the "Series 1" nomenclature. My all time musical soul-mate. GOD, I wish I still had it!
    BassHat.jpg

mb doug, daan and Luthier-Atlanta like this.
  15. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    My wifes '73 Guild D-35

001.JPG

'78 Gretch TK300 that a friend brought over for a check-up.
    002.JPG

mb doug, daan and Luthier-Atlanta like this.
  16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    That Guitaorgan was super clean..... I sure miss Flyer91’s presence here.

Davey and Luthier-Atlanta like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice