Post up your 70's guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Luthier-Atlanta, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Dr. Squier

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Most of you have seen some or most of mine. But I am wanting to see what you Guy's and Gal's have, don't be bashful post M up! I did a thread for 60's as well.

1970 Aria 5502-Z
    1973 Univox Mother
    1976 Univox Gimmie
    1978 Silvertone
    1979 Palmer Flying V

Attached Files:

mb doug likes this.
  2. 1935streetrod

1935streetrod Squier-holic

Feb 15, 2010
    michigan
    ... My only 70's guitar ... 1975 mij Epiphone Caballero ...

Attached Files:

mb doug likes this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    [​IMG]

1973 Yairi DY77

-don

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    mb doug, ElRey67 and squierbilly like this.
  4. Dcbowling80

Dcbowling80 Dr. Squier

Aug 26, 2014
    Laplata MD
    I love those Uni LP's.

5. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    1979 Fender Strat Hardtail and 1973 Gibson SG

Attached Files:

byronius likes this.
  6. Bob Sqweir

Bob Sqweir Squier-Meister

Oct 28, 2014
    New Mexico
    Diggin' that Flying V, 'Lanta! :)

[​IMG]

My 1977(ish) Tokai Les Paul Junior.
    It came with two very microphonic cer-mag P-90 dogears and a pretty good clone of the original scratchplate.
    In '81, I had a pair of Di Marzios put in. Neck pup is a Super Distortion and the bridge is a Dual Sound. I wanted to keep sort of a P-90 vibe going, so it's coil tapped.
    The Tele style scratchplate was my idea. The guy that did the mods for it actually made it by hand! It's a little strange in spots, but that's why I still love the thing.

7. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Very cool guitar sir!

8. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

Aug 28, 2011
    Marshall, VA
    Sorry - not a guitar, but here's a 1977 Ric SS amp.
    It doesn't work all it does is buzz and humm- one of these days I need to get it fixed.
    Cost me $17.00.....

[​IMG]

9. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Hey Streetrod, I have the same model in a different finish. Bought her new in '73or so.

Attached Files:

10. Bob Sqweir

Bob Sqweir Squier-Meister

Oct 28, 2014
    New Mexico
    Muchas gracias! :)

11. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    A new member to the family for me;

1979 Fender Stratocaster Hardtail
    Custom Shop Pick-up's.

Attached Files:

Pat V. and squierbilly like this.
  12. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    This one I sold a couple of years ago. It was a '79 Anniversary Strat.

[​IMG]

This one is a yard sale find that I brought back to life. Not sure if it is 60s or 70s.
    [​IMG]

13. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    The Kawai is around 63 to 65, nice guitar!

14. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Thanks, it was quite a find. When I bought it, it was missing the bridge and there was a crack near the neck. I fixed the neck crack with tight bond and I bought a rosewood bridge from GFS. A local shop installed the bridge and set it up. I can't say that I play it much but it's a cool guitar and it feels good to have got it back to playing condition.

15. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    The one on the right is my 1974/75 Frankencaster! 74 Neck, 75 Body, Callaham trem and Tokai pups in the neck and mid and an SD antiquity in the bridge. :D

Attached Files:

16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    70's MIJ Hondo II "HD-775". Set neck, Sen (ash) body, Dimarzio pups.
    [​IMG]
    Ovation "Viper", all maple guitar. I got this at Goodwill for $50, hacked in a bridge humbucker my buddy took out of his Jackson shred-machine (the Ovation pups were either dead or the wiring was shot) and got 6 matching tuners. I just saw online how much these were going for, man I should have just kept it in the closet! I think I got $75 for it a couple years after I got it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Global (sears catalog) bass. Man this thing sounded awesome! it had a different bridge and tuners on it, but everything else was stock. A freind borrowed it to record their record with, preferring it over the G&L he usually played... again I got next to nothing for it when I traded it on... something, I don't even remember what now.
    [​IMG]
    MIJ "Carlo Robelli" jazz copy. Just like a "real" MIJ Fender, it sounded and played great.
    More to come as I find pix

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    squierbilly likes this.
  17. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MIJ "Conqueror" EB-2 copy. I bought this off of Ebay, it was listed as being in good shape, but when it arrived, the neck was warped, the body was collapsing (the string action was, like, 3/4" off the fretboard), and the electronics didn't work. I WAY overpaid for it, and ended up getting $50 for it from the shop I took it to to see if it could be repaired. Oh yeah, the body was made of glorified cardboard, you could dent it with your thumbnail. It was so neck-heavy the headstock would hit the floor if you let go of it... the whole thing weighed 3 pounds. This guitar (and the crappy Gretsch I got about the same time) totally cured me of buying "vintage" guitars, especially if I couldn't handle/examine them first. It LOOKED totally cool, though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  18. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hofner "500/4" short-scale bass. Real pretty flame maple back, Spruce top, maple neck. Everybody knows their "Beatle Basses", y'know, the violin shaped thing McCartney plays. THis one had (mostly) the same hardware and neck, but the EB-2 style body. (THey also make a "Verithin" model, barely an inch wide. This one was more like the "ES-355" size, and arched front and back). THis actually was the only bass like it I had ever seen, online or in person. I had taken it to every guitar place I could find, and nobody had ever seen or heard of one like it either. Even emailing pix of it to Hofner, got me nowhere. It was hacked up when I got it (I traded a lot of the guitars above for it in the late 80s) it was already old when I got it. Somebody had gutted the electronics, and tried to put Bartolini active Jazz bass pups into it. THere was about a mile of wires, batteries, etc plus they cut holes in everything
    [​IMG]
    and of course, none of it worked. I pulled it all out, and replaced it with the pups from my Gretsch bass that disintegrated
    [​IMG]
    (the neck warped so bad I had to pull frets just to get the strings off the neck, the body was plywood and started to de-laminate and the pup switch broke. All within one year of buying it, and GC refused to honor the warranty, saying "You must have gotten it wet or stored it improperly", long aggravating story)
    Anyway the Hofner sounded GREAT with the Gretsch pups (Switchcraft switch and input, CTS pots, installing that was like building a "ship in a bottle", it totally cured me of thinking I HAD to get a pro to work on my stuff) I had posted pix of it online and a guy offered me a good trade, so I let it go. OF course I regretted it, and haven't seen another ever.

ElRey67 and calihick like this.
  19. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    You have some great guitars there sir, wouldn't mind having them in my collection.

20. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    70's MIJ Hondo II jazz copy. It's not at all shaped like a "real" one,
    [​IMG]
    even the headstock is non-standard
    [​IMG]
    I had to cut down the sides of the tuning machines to get them to fit on there. I also had to have Pickguardian make a new guardplate for it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    since I replaced all the broken cheap-0 electronics with a real Jazz control plate
    [​IMG]
    and a set of "Firebird" style pickups
    [​IMG]
    THis is another one of my long-suffering projects, when I found it i LOVED the neck immediately, the body is all real ash with beautiful natural aging. I spent hours and hours filling in the 5436234662 dents and scratches with Super Glue, tore out all the broken electronics and replaced them with good ones, got a better bridge for it (thought I'd get Tetanus from the original)
    [​IMG]
    The pup routs aren't square or centered in the body, so I've had to re-position the bridge
    [​IMG]
    and it took FOREVER to get the wiring straight, but it's 90% finished.

calihick and squierbilly like this.