Polishing Squier neck & headstock finishes

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by DoctorBB, Jan 12, 2019.

1. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I commented on an earlier post about refinishing Squier matte finish to gloss. In the post I stated that I’ve had success by lightly sanding with 1000 grit and then spraying lots of coats of gloss poly and then wet sanding and polishing. Today I was intent on starting another such project when I had another idea. After the 1000 grit sanding I decided to go straight to the polishing step using semi- chrome polish. Well the result is a medium gloss, thin lacquer like finish. We all know there’s not much finish on these necks to start so it’s really thin now. I’ve included a pick to illustrate. The front half of the headstock has been done.
    501D170C-B998-4457-B6FA-BB1AF33D7671.jpeg

2. I've never done necks before just bodies. I guess it never crossed my mind. Nice work, Do you use a dual action power buffer / polisher?

Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s looking really nice! Good work.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I forget to state that it was done manually. The area in the photo took maybe 40 seconds. It’s fast. And I was careful with the pressure I used over the decals.

5. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I do that on the back of most of my necks. It makes it really silky-smooth. :D

6. I'm gonna keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks!
    Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.