Poison Ivy or Oak

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Lonn, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Not sure how but I've got something going crazy between my wedding ring finger and middle finger and on the back of my left hand. Friday at work I started getting a little itchy between my fingers and by Saturday it was full blown blisters and nasty stuff. Actually had to remove my wedding ring for the first mite ever after 2 years. Saturday and yesterday I popped the blisters but they seem to be refilling immediately and multiplying so I'm going to leave them be for today and see what happens. I've been putting on lots of antibiotic and anti itch cream. My hand is swollen enough that I can't make a fist. This sucks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Alcohol will dry it up.

It's all I use ;)

Strongest percentage you can find !

3. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Ivarest, apply liberally.

4. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    If you haven't been anywhere where you might have gotten into poison oak or ivy, I think there's a good bet that it could be a reaction to a spider bite. It's a big time of year for them- they can be tiny and have painless bites, but still be packing some nasty venom that results in your symptoms while the poison is necrotizing your flesh.
    Are you taking antihistamines for the itching/swelling? Definitely recommended either way. If it starts looking worse you might want to swing by an urgent care for guidance and some stronger medicine than you can get over the counter. Hope it heals up soon.

5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I was thinking the same thing. Poison ivy is not normally that localized. Would probably be between multiple fingers. My guess is spider bite.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I’ve had a half a dozen spider bite on my life, this looks nothing like a spider bite. There are about a half a dozen blisters between my fingers as well as the ones on the back of my hand that I mentioned earlier. Not really looking for medical advice, just bitching LOL.

218EE06F-D934-44EE-8604-6E42490045A7.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Oh, I missed the part about the back of the hand. Either way, keep a close eye on it.

8. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I cannot tell whether that is poison ivy/oak or not. No doubt it is in a miserable place.

For poison ivy/oak relief--pour your urine on it. Yep, do not not let your friends or spouse pee on you. It needs to be your own. Seriously.

9. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I’ll take that under advisement. :eek:

10. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Antihistamines are a must for an itchy, swelling thing like this. Zyrtec (cetirazine) is OTC and available in generic as well, probably what I'd go with. Benedryl (diphenhydramine) causes too much drowsiness/lethargy, and Claritin (loratidine) is a little too wimpy for something like this, but better than nothing.

Never heard of the poison oak/ivy pee treatment. And hey, remember, you don't have to pour it on when you can just apply it straight from the tap!;)

Edit: Whoops, you're not looking for medical advice....

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  11. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    put some 'tussin on it.

12. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Ask your pharmacist for an ointment. Apply generously and wear a latex glove over that hand, because before long, you'll have it everywhere that hand touches. Not fun when you realize you shouldn't have scrached your bum last night.

Kenneth Mountain, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Don't rule out Shingles @Lonn . A break out can very well show up on your hands and fingers...

Attached Files:

14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Neither one is a good tone wood. Your guitar will sound scratchy.

15. Those OTC anti-biotics ointments are not much better that suave according to one doc I spoke to recently.
    I'd get it looked at by a doctor. Cheers, Barrie.

16. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    That sucks.

Some of the unsolicited medical advice here sucks even more. :confused::p

17. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    You're gonna need an ocean,
    Of Calamine lotion.......

DADGAD and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Caladryl Clear Gel works good on everything from poison ivy to itchy bug bites, apply with a cue tip :cool:

19. tuner sandwich

tuner sandwich Squier Talker

Jul 27, 2019
    US
    "....make a small incision and suck the poison out."

"What did the Doc say?"

"He said, you're gonna die."

Bah-dum-dish!

20. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Hoping it will go away by itself. As of this morning I still have a number of blisters and can only make a fist with effort. At least the itching is gone.

radiotech likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice