Playing guitar and singing?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by TheKurdtz, Jan 26, 2018.

1. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    Well, i just thought about singing whilst playing guitar, and i decided to have a go. as a result i have now ripped up my voice and broken a string :eek: but i did it already!

while i was busy "singing", i noticed that singing to "real" songs was a lot harder than fiddling around with powerchords.

whilst doing so i noticed that lyrics just popped up from nowhere and my singing felt way more natural.

Am i destined to be a singer-songwriter? maybe, i don't know ;)

Anybody got experience or tips to take this further?

2. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Go online and find a video on singing lessons so you dont hurt your vocal chords. Proper breathing technique and how to use you head voice and chest voice. Learn to sing the song first all the way thru then it makes playing a lot easier since you have the timing in you head. the blues with call and response do real well if your into that genre.It my favorite!

so1om, TheKurdtz, BorderRadio and 2 others like this.
  3. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    thanks, i know a lot of singing stuff, now we only need to combine these two ;)

so1om likes this.
  4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    Never question inspiration. Go with it.

surfrodguitar, TheKurdtz and so1om like this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I wish I could play and sing. I hope Caddy and Papa Joe, Don, so many others here.... I hope they all chime in. Like anything we can never discount practice and natural talent.

My daughter sings well and she can strum and play pretty well. She's working on getting the 2 together. In the meantime I am providing the bulk of the rhythm and music. I tell her to just strum and hit each chord as the music goes. I *think* from there once her playing improves and timing, comfort, easy, etc.. it'll all come together. I also think that forcing yourself is good -a little of the comfort zone and ability challenge.

Of course don't keep doing bad habits.. whatever they may be.

Again.. I can't do it so I'm likely full of beans,,

TheKurdtz likes this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Doing, doing, doing. That, to me at least, is the secret.

So much so and so often, and yes, so repeatedly, that the actions each become automatic -- done without thought. Like walking, running and climbing a stairs.

Watch a child learning to do any of those things is equally funny and frightening. But we all learn to do them. And so it will be for you here, TK.

I'm now trying to master the next aspect: Operating the foot controller for my voice unit to add harmonies and the like at the appropriate moment -- that while I am singing, playing rhythm and at the same time lead fills. And that is basically requiring the same thing. Doing, doing and doing again. Until it becomes automatic -- so again the conscious part of the mind can focus on the creative, not the mere technical.

Like catching a fly ball or getting a basketball through the hoop, for some this stuff is easy peasy. For many of us (yup, me!) not at all.

But fun none-the-less. :)

-don

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    TheKurdtz and so1om like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I tried playing and singing, and my wife said, "You have to sing with more feeling."

WTF? I'm lucky I can strum and get the words out at the same time. ha ha

8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    She stayed in the room? Then you're doing good! :)

-don

Davis Sharp, TheKurdtz and Eddie like this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Just am additional thought... We, today, get to hear the best of the best. That's a mixed blessing.

Wonderful for the joy it gives -- and for helping us to see possibilities.
    But very easily discouraging. "I'll never sing and play like ______."
    And likely we won't. But we can still become good enough to give pleasure to ourselves and possibly others.

Oh for the simpler, earlier, days. When all folks heard was Aunt Ethel's reedy voice and her piano. Or us.

:)

-don

TheKurdtz likes this.
  10. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Playing AND singing at the same time certainly is tricky and, like has been stated above, repetition is a big key to getting it down. For me at least, I have found a few things that seem to help:
    • First off, REALLY get comfortable with playing the song before trying to sing while you play. If you don't have to think about the mechanics of playing (autopilot), you can think about singing
    • Memorize the lyrics - its hard to play AND read AND sing
    • Much easier to play chords while singing (power chords seem even easier than reg chords) -- probably because the chords hit the same emphasis points as the lyrics, and you can tie your chord changes to specific words in the lyrics. I have only recently been able to do arpeggios while I sing, and I still cannot sing at all while I am playing a "riff" (for example, I learned to riff to "Mr Soul", and I can kind of play it - as long as I don't try to sing the words)
    • I also like to record me playing and singing (iPhone Voice Memo) - so I can listen back and make corrections

duceditor, TheKurdtz and so1om like this.
  11. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Feel my pain... or hers!

Did she ask what you did with the money?

Bluzy and TheKurdtz like this.
  12. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    I personally feel more comfortable playing and singing, than singing alone. I get performance anxiety and almost feel like I can hide behind the guitar. For me, its all about knowing the song inside out.

so1om and TheKurdtz like this.
  13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    It all depends on where you start . For me it was just the opposite. I started on ukulele and later guitar to accompany my voice..All acoustic..
    Cowboy songs, old folk songs, and "hill billy" songs..
    I taught myself several instrumentals but not much as far as melody of vocal songs..
    The guitar part really didn't start for about 20 years, when I got my first electric and started playing out in bands..Even though I was considered pretty good and never had a problem finding gigs, it was my singing that was best asset..
    Lead playing really started one night when the regular lead player was a no show..
    Now I can sing and do my own fills at the same time..
    But I sure can understand the problem..I learned how tough it can be when I had a gig playing bass..No problem with the bass but singing at the same time was rough..
    The only way to learn to do it is just keep doing it..