Playing 5 string

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by JVjunky, May 22, 2020.

1. JVjunky

JVjunky Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Has anyone removed the 5th string (low E)? I don't mean tune like Keith Richards.
    I don't play bar chords and rarely find myself playing anything on the low E string,
    and sometimes when playing open chords I find the E string ruins the sound of the
    chords.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I agree with that last part. There are a lot of chords that are better played by skipping the E string, but I would hate to lose it. There are a lot of things I play that use that E string. In the last couple years I've learned to use it more in arpeggios and solos, and I've come to like it more than ever.

Here's a good example of why the E string is valuable:

metalmerchant and JVjunky like this.
  3. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    I don't think I would want to loose the fat sound of my low E, I do mute it with my thumb when I don't want to hear it, maybe you can go with a lighter gauge on the low E to loose some of the Boom!

edit: after re-reading your post, I suggest you try different strings

metalmerchant and JVjunky like this.
  4. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    Have you thought about using a different string other than the E at that place. Like a Drone string used on a banjo. Or mute the E at the bridge.

JVjunky likes this.
  5. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I need it for power chords, but it's great that everybody is doing their own thing !

metalmerchant, MI redneck and JVjunky like this.
  6. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Male muting is your friend. Between that and picking practice you can put that pesky problem behind you.

duzie likes this.
  7. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    If I removed the strings that give me problems at times I’d have no strings at all
    :p
    I also side with the fretting hand muting and picking accuracy is the way forward here .

Barry and metalmerchant like this.
  8. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

What the heck is male muting? I would edit this post but my wife is calling me...

drewcp, metalmerchant and duzie like this.
  9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I use the low E a lot..Not much for chords..Blues and rock-a-billy..It's a must for me..

Mr Bones likes this.
  10. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    Sometimes I self mute to keep the peace with my wife :rolleyes:

SoundDesign likes this.
  11. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I had a Yamaha 5 string, I had a couple sets of strings I put E to B I could play it sort of like a guitar chords and leads. Another I sold and wish I hadn't.

12. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Play this chord. Your middle finger mutes the 5th string, and your pinky mutes the first and second strings. Try this as a practice in using strings you don’t normally use and muting some you do. Try to strum just the bottom four strings (3-6). The fifth string will make a somewhat percussive sound. Make all strums downstrokes. Let me know what you think.
    15D6533B-8DEC-44DF-B6AE-C98B6819C9E8.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice