Pickups for Squire Strat Deluxe Hot Rails

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by Clarky75, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi All,

I have a Squire Strat Deluxe with the hot rails pickups. Just curious has anyone updated the pickups in these guitars, of so what did you replace them with?

Thanks

Clarky

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    They're good to go. No need to swap them. :)

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    yes, those are good pickups - but they certainly are HOT!

If you really want to swap them for something more "vintage" - check out Rose Pickups. I cannot say enough about how great Rose pickups are - PLUS they are not going to break the bank! I have 4 Rose-powered guitars :)

4. I seem to recall seeing Seymour Duncan direct replacements. I am happy with my factory pick ups (rearranged to their correct locations).
    Cheers, Barrie.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    I put a set of Alnico V pickups from Stratosphere that are currently on my SE strat. The white Hot Rails guitar ended up with a Guitar Madness loaded pickguard ('62 set I believe). I no longer have the guitar as I traded it for a Standard Telecaster, but I do miss the neck on that one... rolled edges and satin finish are nothing to scoff at on those!

6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Guitar Madness 62's are great sounding vintage spec affordable alnicos ($24 a set!). I actually like them as much as CS 69's, Texas Specials, Dimarzio Area 58/61's, and MIM Classic series pickups.

7. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Is there a particular sound you are trying to get, or something you don't like about the stock pickups? As humbuckers go, those hot rails are great. Maybe you are trying to make it a more "classic" strat with single coil tones?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    The Hot Rails as described above maybe a little too hot for me, I play mostly blues and rock, but I also like that nice clean sound as well. The hot rails are very hot, I got the guitar on a deal, so for what I paid I figured worst case could change the pickups over. I am getting used to them, but was looking at other options.

Stratlover84 and grizmit like this.
  9. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the info, I will check out the Rose pickups, as its only a Squire I don't want to spend a fortune on pickups, but these seemed well priced. I will take a look

10. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    I will have to check these out, do you have a link? From what I see these are on an ebay store?

11. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Some great recommendations above for single coil options. I personally recommend leaving the hot rails humbucker in the bridge position and only swapping the middle and neck for single coils. That configuration is my personal preference for max tonal variety. IMO, the Strat's single coil neck pickup tone is the main reason to own a Strat. Then the "notched" 2 and 4 position combining the middle pickup is another unique to Strat "quack" tone that only the single coils will give you.

But having those "traditional" Strat tone options combined with a bridge humbucker really makes for a versatile guitar. For that reason, 2 of my 3 Strats have that HSS configuration.

Eddie likes this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    From one Nekrogoblikon fan to another ... I totally concur. Leave the HR in the bridge. There are thousands of SSS Strats out there. HSS is a great combination. Tremendous versatility in tone. I have over a dozen Strats ... only 2 are SSS. All others have at least 1 HB.

Come to think about it, the only configuration I don't have is SHS. I wonder how that would sound ???

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    grizmit likes this.
  13. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    A middle humbucker.... interesting idea!

Eddie, I forgot to mention that I actually took my own kids to that show. A bit older than yours at the time, 14 and 16 . My daughter bought a plush goblin from their merch stand. :D

Eddie likes this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I errored in my words ... ONLY 2 out of over a dozen Strats that I own are SSS. All others are HSH, HH, HSS, and even one SSH (that one sounds amazing). Maybe an HHS coming next. :)

I'm stuck on the Nekrogoblikon concert. It's this Saturday. I totally forgot and made concurrent plans for my daughter's 10th birthday. Frak. I agree, I should bring her with me. ha ha.

grizmit likes this.
  15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Yeah, Ebay. Just search GM pickups on Ebay and you'll find them.

Clarky75 likes this.
  16. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Same reason I switched out my hot rails... they were a bit too aggressive for the tones I was seeking... particularly blues. I agree with others that there are great affordable Alnicos... although IF you want to splurge, an SSL-1 set would do it for me as well :D

17. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Grizmit, thanks for the post. Funnily enough I didn't even consider that :) But I think that is a great idea, I think I will do just that, now to decide what single coils to get for the middle and neck. Now that is going to be a decision, don't want to splurge too much. Any recommendations from anyone?

grizmit and Eddie like this.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Keep it in the family ... a nice set of Duncan Designed SC101's would go great with the Duncan Designed HRs.

grizmit likes this.
  19. Clarky75

Clarky75 Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    I thought of this, but those pickups are hard to find :)

Eddie likes this.
  20. 71maverick

71maverick Squier Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    Aren't those Hot Rails 4 wire? What happens if you swap to a push pull volume pot that turns a coil off of the neck and middle?

grizmit and Eddie like this.