pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by Robbmonster, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Never liked the bridge pickup in the Jagmaster. Always liked the neck pickup, especially with the tone rolled down to about 3.

Any suggestions for a nice bridge pickup that is bright without being shrill, does great harmonics, not too loud... you know, the perfect balanced bridge pickup?

Kenneth Mountain and RoyalWe like this.
  2. jagmaster

jagmaster Squier-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    New Zealand
    I put the bridge and neck 'buckers from a Bullet Mustang in there, the bridge pup sounds great! I much prefer it to the Duncan Designed original. I wasn't too enamoured with the neck pup so I now have a p90 in the neck. The Mustang pups read around 9k (both neck and bridge) and the p90 I put in reads 5.3k, and they sound pretty balanced. It's one of the few guitars of mine that I actually like to use with both pups selected.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I replaced my Jagmaster pickups with a SD P-Rails in the bridge and a GFS Mean 90 in the neck. Happy with it but I’m looking to unload the guitar after having it for about 7 years. CAR with the 25” scale neck. Really nice guitar. Solid. I think mine had ceramic HBs in it.

Kenneth Mountain and Big tuna like this.
  4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’d say try a more Gibson voiced pickup, maybe the guitar madness 59? They’re cheap so if you don’t like it it’s no big loss.

5. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

At the moment I am looking to either the GFS or Tonerider Alnico II options. They seem to promise, warmth, clarity, so on. I basically want a smoother, less shrill bridge pickup, even with the tone dialled right up. I'll look into the 59...

6. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    What model single coil at the bridge would pair nicely with the G M 59er?

7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I really liked the Duncan Designed pickups in my Jagmaster. Did you adjust the height to see if it changes the sound?

8. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I’ve got a GM premium single coil middle pickup (RWRP) in the neck of my Duo that goes great with my Duncan Little ‘59 if that helps.

9. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I would go with GFS surf p 90's i great used them in some guitars and the sounded great imo.

10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
  11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Guitar Madness on eBay has lots of affordable choices cheap enough to try and toss if you don't like and try them all! But, most likely you'll like them. Owner is very knowledgeable.

https://ebay.com/usr/guitarmadnessguitarmadness

12. oldtimer

oldtimer Squier-Nut

Jun 23, 2015
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Before you spend any money on a different pickup, you could try fitting a low value capacitor somewhere in the wiring so that it's in parallel with the bridge pickup. If it's easier, you can test different values at the output jack socket as long as the volume and tone control are both at maximum.

What you'd be doing is lowering the frequency of the natural resonance of the pickup to 'tune in' the highs you want and reject those you don't. Depending on the inductance and internal capacitance of the pickup's coil, the value needed will be different. Try anything from 470pF to 2200pF.

1000pF is a reasonable starting point. It may be marked '102'. It's also 1nF or 0.001µF.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  13. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Right now the pickup is reasonably low, and is lower in volume than the neck pickup, but still harsh. It was higher before and was just shrill. I used to have a Jagmaster before that gave me the same problem. I ended up swapping the pickup on that one for one from a Squier Tele Custom (I think) and it sounded waaaay better.

The idea of experimenting with caps is a good one. Does anyone know what is fitted stock?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice