Pickup sucks bad.

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by gary mitchell, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:53 PM.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    As you all know I have a Squire M80 I just got a few days maybe 2 weeks ago, but I thought I like the pickups. But the problem was , I was playing it on my little Blackstar id30 112 transistor amp. Then I played it on my Rivera Clubster Royale all tube and 50 watts 112. And I have to tell you they were the most
    treble producing things I have ever played. Love the guitar but hate the stock pickups with a passion. My brother is sending me a set of Epiphone Classic 57s but I have only heard bad things about them like being muddy, I don't know nothing about them much 123838.jpg .. I do not like ceramic mags in my pickups, I like Alnico mags better . My favorite Gibson Pickups are the 490 series. I can't afford Gibsons right now have to many projects going rebuilding a P bass and a MIM strat. What is the best good sounding Alnico hum buckers I can get for around $25.00 a set. What would you suggestions be. You give me what you think and I will look them up, and I don't want to wait a month.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    If you must change them.....

These right here for sale for a very reasonable price - about 12k output pickups, would sound like PAF's on steroids.....alnico V

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/z-mule-humbucker-pickup-set.163131/

@gary mitchell @mdparent03

You might also really like the Epiphone pickups....

I didn't find the Epiphones muddy at all myself - I did a comparison with the Epiphone 57 Classics (alnico V) against their new high end epiphone Probucker more vintage accurate Alnico II pickups......and they sounds almost IDENTICAL. The Probucker had slightly more articulation but I'm talking like 5-10% noticeable.....

3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    This is an interesting one. Speaking in the general experience of HB. I have an old Ibanez Lawsuit Les Paul that has an Ibanez HB at the neck and a Gibson T top at the bridge. Sounds pretty good. I've had that since 79 and then in 2009, I got an Epiphone G-400. Sounds pretty good. Then lastly the Bullet HH which are a very basic HB with pole pieces that don't even adjust. I particularly like those because they sound super quiet, but then also have this single coil characteristic that's hard to describe. I like them a whole lot. I play through a Johnson 15 r hybrid amp as well as the SS Vox Pathfinder 15r. The old Silverface Vibro Champ and a new '65 Princeton Reverb reissue. And while I notice a slight difference in all, I don't say "wow.. that's really horrible, shrill or muddy" about any of them.

So my brother has been a pro musician since the 60s. I'd say 98.7% of the time on bass. Only recently since retirement age has he started to play guitar in bands more often. Two guitars that he had with HBs were a Heartsfield and a Fender tele. I'm not sure of the make of those pickups. He wanted something a little more different for the rhythm playing he's doing so he had me snag an Epiphone Dot. Ok.

It was quite odd that for the shear amount of experience, he originally thought the guitar sounded great. But when switching between the 3 very different guitars with various pickups, he found the Epiphone to be muddy. Hmm.. I would expect some variation, but he made it seem that it was completely unusable, was like quicksand and mud and everything.

So a bit of shock there that he couldn't figure this out. I told him to lower the pickups a bit. Then he changed some pots and caps. Then he claimed they were wrong in the guitar... not sure why, the Dot was stock.

he finally settled on a set of old DiMarzio that were low output from the 70s that he had laying around in his parts drawer. I think he used 0.022 caps -Epiphone stock. Suddenly they were correct again. (and I don't know how after all these years he didnt' know you could buy a meter that checks capacitance....)

Not much help here but it is interesting to read that what one hears, another doesn't.

4. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Not sure if they're the same as your incoming epiphone pickups, but I had a set out of a stock epiphone dot, and I really liked them. I think the bridge was labelled HOTCH and bridge 57CH.
    They were a little muddy through older solid state amps, like the peavey bandit etc. But through my wee tube amp and the bigger black Star tube amp they sounded really good.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    I would change the caps first just to be sure. I am guilty as much as the next guy with changing pups a lot but I always change the caps first. Sometimes that gives you the darker tone you are lacking. I use .047uf in all of mine.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Classic 57 pups in a epi LP are one of my favorite pickups.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Right! I love them. But my brother thought they were mud and the OP only heard bad things about them -being muddy. Go figure!

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and fadetoz like this.
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Dot comes stock with the same basic pickup, neck & bridge, CH57. The SG & LP both have the CH57 neck and HOTCH in the bridge.

I have both, but far and above prefer the Dot set. I'm not a fan of higher output pickups. I've been told they would be muddy, slang for them is 'mudbuckeres', BUT that has not been my experience. Now my ears are tired from rock bands, SP Field Artillery and motorcycle repair, so I'm not the best auditory judge, but they sound just fine to me. And a Dot set to me is by far the preferred set.

Kenneth Mountain and fadetoz like this.
  9. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Pickups I already have. But don't know , I really don't want to keep taking my guitar a part and keep soldering, but I guess thats a must.. this is a picture off the internet because for some reason I can't send picture off my phone to the computer. s-l640.jpg s-l1600.jpg

fadetoz and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I reuse quite a few Epi humbuckers- on the "mid-line" (CH57, HOTCH, etc) pickups removing the cheap plated brass covers can seem to help tone quite a bit. The upper line Epis as well as most better aftermarket humbuckers will use nickel-silver covers and baseplates which theoretically can reduce eddy currents that affect certain frequencies and tend to "dampen" the overall tone of the pickup. Details like the size and shape of coil screws, even the particular alloy of steel used for screws, slugs, and keeper bars is said to have an effect- YMMV

I tried an Alnico V in a 700T with good surprisingly good results-conventional wisdom would say that hot of a wind would need ceramic to keep from turning to mush. Using a slug coil from the Epi bridge pickup and a screw coil from the neck may make a much livelier hybrid- A lot you can do for cheap/free playing around with pickups-

As far as just buying an inexpensive but good set (and you like the Gibson 490 set ) I'd recommend the Guitar Madness Alnico 2 's- They're a little more than $25 a pair but not too far off and probably the least expensive decent sounding new Alnico humbucker you'll find

Compared to the Epi pickups they're wound a little lighter and the Alnico 2 will be warmer and more "rounded" than the Alnico 5

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:39 PM
  11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    That's a regular set out of an SG or LP. The bridge is much 'hotter' than the neck, (duh-HOTCH). That is the most common 'set', I have it in a Strat. I just prefer the lower output bridge.

If you don't like them or don't want to use them, I might buy them off you if the price is right. :D

12. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Sometimes you can find guys unloading Duncan Designed HB-101/102 for stupid cheap. I had a set in an Alvarez 335 copy, I bought that guitar with every intention of changing the pups out immediately, but they sounded. REALLY good, so I left them alone. The higher the number, the higher the output, so depending on what you like...https://www.google.com/search?q=guitar madness 59er
    These are very reasonable, and sound very good too.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=guitar madness 57 special
    These are quite nice if you prefer A2 over A5’s. I have all 3 of these pups in guitars and can vouch for them sounding great.
    Someone else recommended changing the pots, etc. I don’t know what M-80’s came with, but it’s possible if your current pots are way out of spec (cheap pots can be +/- 20% of value) it can really make bright pups shrill (or dark ones overly muddy) so putting decent pots in could possibly tame what you got now.

13. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I would be carefull dealing with GuitarMadness.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  14. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I've made or dozen or so pickup purchases from GM over the past couple years and always had great and fast service as well as no issues with a product or wouldn't have mentioned him.

Sounds like it's one guy working out of his apartment importing and reselling inexpensive guitar parts online so I'm sure there are customer service glitches

so1om likes this.
  15. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    The neck pickup in that set normally measures around 8.5K which is a bit higher than most "name brand" vintage style neck pickups, probably more suited as a slightly overwound bridge pickup but still within the "vintage" range

The "HOTCH" bridge is wound to 14-15K so closer resistance wise to a Super Distortion or a Custom series. I'd like to try different magnets in this pickup as the Alnico 5 in other aftermarket pickups in this range tends to give a "scooped" sound- high bass and treble but lots the extreme of this being a sound thats weak and brittle overall but with boomy bass and annoying highs

A ceramic pickup tends to tighten and smooth this type of pickup but still gives a more "modern" tone

Alnico 2 or UOA5 tends to really cut down and soften the bass, boost mids, and smooth the highs

And in either case popping the cheap brass covers off these pickups makes them sound much better to me

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 3:24 AM
    so1om likes this.
  16. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I am guessing you have the Duncan Designed alnico 5 humbuckers in the M 80. I switched out the DD I had in my X-155 with a set of Guitar madness 57 special alnico II $36 and they sounded a lot better more balanced sound and not as hot.

17. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    OP has the M-80 special. It does not have DD pups.

gary mitchell likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice