Picked up a stray today

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by coprod, Mar 25, 2020.

1. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Picked up this today, original price was set too high, it was priced for one in good condition. I messaged the seller after it sat listed for awhile and offered what I thought was fair price, as it might be a gamble. The seller agreed to a much lower price. I went to pick it up today and the seller even offered it at a further discount due to its condition or should I say appearance.

So here she is. She is rough but just needs some love. It was stored at his family's house and the custom paint job was courtesy of his younger brother. He wasn't happy about it and it just sat for years. He stated it was all original and was a nice player.

My main concern was if it was original and all there. It is noticeably lighter than my others and in a good way. Turns out it is all original:D . Missing the back trem cover and 5 way switch knob
    . She is early 10/6/83 neck...SQ01631 neckplate.

I figured if the paint was too damaged and or not there I would repaint it and go from there.

Got home, she plays fine, switches need some deoxit but should be good to go. I started cleaning her up and decided to start with a Clorox wipe to get any Virus off of it, if it had any on it. Think I'm gonna call her "Korona".

Well as I was giving it a wipe down I noticed the wipe was taking some of the gold paint off(paint pen). So I switched to a Magic Eraser and wallah. Took some elbow grease and time but got it off except the blue on the back.

Anyway, here are the pics as I know we all love pictures. Opinions as to how to proceed with the finish are welcomed and opinions as far as leave relic'ed or refinish.

Also need my experts out there to tell me about the pick ups. My other 83' CST-50 has the pickups with the square holes in the base.
    20200325_110200.jpg 20200325_113818.jpg 20200325_113831.jpg 20200325_114308.jpg 20200325_114033.jpg
    more pics to follow, can only loead 5 at a time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    20200325_154622.jpg 20200325_155225.jpg 20200325_161023.jpg 20200325_165615.jpg 20200325_165709.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
  4. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
  5. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Worthy project, it's a great Squier HNGD !

6. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Sweet score! You never know, with some careful sanding and buffing you might even save the old finish. I always hoped of finding a good deal on one of those, but they rarely turn up even at normal prices. Congratulations.

7. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-Nut

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Nice HNGD. Price? Is this a MIJ Squier?

8. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Lick of paint and she'll be good as new, there was a thread started on one this week, seller was asking $575 which I thought was a fair price

9. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    That’s a nice project. Are you going to strip it or leave th paint and just clean it? Funny how even that to get it shiny and setting it up is in itself satisfying. Makking good and useful of something basically thrown to the curb.

10. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Congratulations again!

The pickup question - here is what i believe: Those pickups in your CST are called "SQ-4", they’re Japanese. The other ones you find on CST models are the "SQ-5" ones with plastic bobbins and square holes. Some of them also are fitted with the "SQ-3" ceramic ones with bar magnets.

In the 1984 Twang catalog i believe, they used the name "SQ-5" for the CST models and the name "SQ-5 Hotrod" for the SST models.
    I read somewhere that the "SQ-5 hotrod" ones are overwound "SQ-5" pickups. But is there really a different? I just can’t tell you.
    There is a threat somewhere showing the plastic bobbin pickups with square holes from an CST and the original "Squier SQ-5“ sticker that came with the guitar. Can someone remember if the word "hotrod" also was on this sticker or someone have the link? Couldn’t find it..

On the homepage "21frets" they are showing two sets of pickups with fiber bobbins from two different SST models, both sets are looking identical, but one set they describe as SQ-4 and the other as SQ-5 ones... So which description should i trust?

As you can see loads of different informations. So I’m really not 100% sure at the end. Maybe someone has the necessary puzzle piece..

But i pretty like those pickups you have, two of my JV's are fitted with them and they are sounding damn good to my ears.

Have fun with bring this guitar back to life :)

Cheers!

11. coprod

coprod Squier Talker

Nov 30, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks for sharing the information as always. I thought it looked to be original to the guitar( ie. wires, solder joints) but I'm no expert. I need to update some pics, but wont be able until later...I spent the entire evening working on it. All the gold paint came off. Still have the blue paint to tackle. When it was done it was randomly sanded everywhere some fine and some courser grit scratches that may not be able to sand and buff out. I wont be able to get to that for a bit, but my thought process is to sand and buff and then make a decision from there as to leave as is or repaint. Again I welcome any thoughts on this and processes you all have used.

12. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    If you are going to re paint it, maybe consider the heat gun and strip it to bare wood That will remove an scratch issues, but is more work to refinish

13. DAVEYC

DAVEYC Squier Talker

Dec 7, 2019
    East Sussex
    There must be a typo in your thread starter, I was expecting to see pics of a cat or dog :D

14. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

Nice find, cool guitar! Congrats!

Try acetone on a rag. Just don't let the acetone get on any soft plastics like the pick guard or the pickup covers, which got discolored on mine when I wasn't careful enough. Here are before and after pics of my 1985 MIJ ST-336 project, all done with acetone, a worn-soft kitchen scrubby and rags.

IMG_20160722_184644193.jpg IMG_20160812_164149076.jpg

PonyBoy, logodave, Rat cam 68 and 8 others like this.
  15. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I believe it's @so1om that has the guitar with the SQ5 sticker.
    It would be awesome if someone who was there at the factory could give a rundown of the pickups used in the SQs …. with examples.
    you know a pic of a pickup,and a description saying this is an SQ4 etc.
    It is quite a guessing and so far as I know, only so1om as a very good idea what exact pickups are in his SQ.
    I have 2 early SQs, I would be willing to measure the output with a Multi-meter.
    We should put together some kind of SQ Pickup database.
    I think we are the perfect people to do it, Unless you know of a place where more SQ owners gather ….
    just a thought .
    Sorry for the thread derailment,
    looks like a worthy project you have there... a little rubbing compound and a rag would do wonders for the scratches after you're through stripping what paint you can.
    good luck and
    Enjoy your new guitar

coprod, mb doug, radiotech and 2 others like this.
  16. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    This is a prime candidate for a heat gun strip. Check out my threads for some tips. Hngd man!

mb doug, Kenneth Mountain and mofojar like this.
  17. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Great idea with ask someone who worked there or measuring pickup outputs, this could shed some light.

18. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    yup, it was so1om that had the SQ5 HotRod sticker.
    I'm going to re-post a couple of his pics from his post.
    Squier SQ5 pickup sticker.JPG Squier SQ5 pickup.JPG

19. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

great idea !

mb doug, DJGranite and Tamarindo03 like this.
  20. Tamarindo03

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Thanks, that’s awesome. I’m searching for a guy who’s also in a Facebook group called "Japanese Fender and Squier guitars MIJ CIJ". He worked for Fender Japan and i remember he was always nice enough to answer some questions. Maybe he can help if i find him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice