People will bid on anythig

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by lespaul1968, Nov 11, 2019.

1. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
  2. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    Would probably stink up your fire place lol

3. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    That is a set neck G400. It is relic'd. I bet it goes for at least $200

4. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
  5. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    Its more than reliced neck is snapped

dbrian66, drewcp and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    Yikes, you are right....Pickups and tuners are about all that is salvageable.

7. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    not worth the shipping alone. Thats just my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Man that's not much guitar. And I hope your cold clears up soon, @lespaul1968.

9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Given the condition of the rest of the guitar, I don't hold much faith that the electronics are any good either.

10. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    ?

11. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    at least with a bolt on neck, it could just be replaced...

+1 Fender

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    gosh, I hope no one out bids me..

13. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    g400's usually have good pickups and those Grover tuners. Worth no more than the bid, but maybe he is a pickup customer = no shipping.
    Or maybe he is a really good luthier.

14. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    Oh I see my typo in the post. Dont think I can fix it.

Triple Jim, dbrian66 and SubSailer671 like this.
  15. quitter

quitter Squier Talker

Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington
    I think I could fix this and flip it honestly. I just resold one of these for $150 and nabbed it for like $60

drewcp likes this.
  16. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I guess we all know around here one person's trash may very well be another's treasure, and being more and more aware of the current disposable mindset, maintaining still functioning objects is quite a rewarding and saving of something still offering potential.

This to say... Sure, the thing is overpriced, I'd give 30-40 euros max to the seller as the value of the hardware if it was local. It does indeed look like crap, but for the fair price, that's when the magic enters - some glue and clamps can fix it, and then you have a blank canvas to do your own thing - you're not ruining a fine guitar, you're actually saving what was out of order and giving it a new life.

Recently, I've finished the repair of a cheap classical guitar belonging to the feminine tuna of my college. The neck scarf joint had split apart and the strings had forced the fretboard, the only thing holding it together, to bow. It was worth nothing more than a pile of firewood at that point, and so I asked if I could just try and glue it back together, they're in need of more guitars and short of cash, after all. Clamps removed, it held together fine and the neck remained straight - good sign.

Only other problem of it was the missing saddle, and the bridge - made out of some sort of composite material that wouldn't bend - didn't followed the natural curvature of the top and unglued itself from it. I searched for the cheapest local replacement parts and quoted them on 8 bucks total for a new saddle and wooden pre-made bridge for it, which they accepted, after all you can't buy a guitar for that price. I've cleaned up the glue with a chisel and held it in place using weights while hoping the cheap top wouldn't collapse, given I don't have the proper clamps for the job. Again - job done surprisingly well! I'm just waiting for them to receive their order of strings and see if it holds together to share the progress around here.

This to say - even a piece of junk acoustic that was literally covered in dust and spiderwebs received a new chance to be used for a job, despite still being crappy, it's more than enough for it, and I was left with a rewarding feel that instrument will be able to continue being used for what it was designed to do, instead of being thrown away. I'm sure most around here will get that as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice