Peavey Predator Tele?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mitch_cumsteen, Oct 5, 2018.

1. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I don't know much about them but there's one available locally with EMG pups for $175. I looked at Reverb and other sites and they're asking $300ish for them but a check of actual sold Predators on eBay shows two selling for $200.

Any info appreciated.

Here's the link to the ad:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/993814704139953

2. Mister Noonan

Mister Noonan Squier-Nut

Jun 28, 2018
    present

Peavey MIK can be good. I don't know about your specific model, I have a strat style predator plus with a rosewood board, 3x3 headstock ala wolfgang and heel adjust truss rod - very nice neck.

Peavey USA is also really good. $175 is less than I usually see on USA Peaveys. My T15 neck is split down the middle, so no skunk stripe and no cap - interesting method.

3. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Peavey Reactor are really good USA, that’s a good price, I’ve had both the Reactor and the Reactor AX really nice players. I would jump on that for that price :)

Mister Noonan and mitch_cumsteen like this.
  4. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  5. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    My buddy just purchased a Peavey Tele for his collection. I'm not sure the model. All I know is it is a USA model Peavey Tele and he got it for like $300

Mister Noonan likes this.
  6. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    Can anyone suss out what EMG pups are in the guitar by looking at the photos in the link above? The owner doesn't know other than they are humbuckers.

Mister Noonan likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I would pass, the neck is WAYYYYYY out of alignment....the low E is completely off the fretboard on the higher frets!

Jim Belaye likes this.
  8. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I would ask for more pics or just go check it out might be a bad angle of pic;)

jjudas, Stratlover84, Taurus and 2 others like this.
  9. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    Turns out the guy lives very close to me and he's going to stop by my place with the guitar on his way home from work. Don't even have to get off the couch.

I'll be sure to look closely at the neck, thanks for craniums up.

wickedtools and Taurus like this.
  10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    If it looks good, I'd buy it.

wickedtools likes this.
  11. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    I think you'll like the neck. I have a MIK Generation on the way.;)

wickedtools likes this.
  12. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    One thing is to look at pics with bad angles and another is to actually play it.

There's certain things a picture can tell you. Others are not so easily discernable. I wonder how many great finds are passed up on due to a bad angled shot :rolleyes:

13. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    So I tried it out.

The guitar neck was fine - straight as an arrow but it didn't seem any better than some of my Squier Affinity/SE necks as far as feel or fret work. The body was fine too. The electronics and pickups were pretty, "meh!". The pots put out static when rotated and the pups were pretty blah. I was surprised at how lackluster they were.

Decisions, decisions....

14. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

It probably needed pickup height adjustments. I have a 94 Reactor. I like the neck, it is slightly bigger than most Squier ones. The stock trap tuners are better than most of that type. I replaced the pickups with Artec rail buckers, about $30 or so, and like it a lot, but twang was clearly not my goal. The neck is the only thing on the stock Reactor made in the USA, the body and all the electrics were imported. The 3-way was probably not original, since the original part fell apart just by looking at it.

IMG_20170222_150557845.jpg

15. dqami

dqami Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2012
    oc
    Just a precaution... If you are interested in buying the guitar, it would be a good idea not to post the ad as there are some who may snake it before you. Thats a good deal. Had a couple but sold them as they are a bit heavy for my taste.

16. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    That's what my buddy just got , a Reactor. Said he paid $300 but they are suppose to be really nice.

17. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I offered $140. He accepted. So I guess I'm buying a Peavey Reactor.

Edit: changed Raptor to Reactor. Not sure how i got on the idea is was a Raptor.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Mister Noonan and fadetoz like this.
  18. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

You keep calling it a Predator, but it is a Reactor. The Predator is Strat shaped.

mitch_cumsteen likes this.
  19. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic