Pau Ferro and Laurel

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by blackspider57, May 10, 2019.

1. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    I think I wont be popular with my answer but...
    either you have any kind of finger board, even a 2 X 4
    fine pups and pots ,including a good amp I can make ANY
    geetar sound like a 1000$ axe. Think " non cork sniffin""
    I just love a geetar when the neck feels good in my palm.

dbrian66 and Jim Belaye like this.
  2. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    dbrian66 and SquierTap like this.
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    I got a couple guitars with horrified granola or some ****, dunno, don’t care, it’s some form of wood and that’s good enough for me...

I got one with ebony too...

I just need to know if I need to oil it or not.

4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I don’t think Ebony needs oiling (but I could totally be wrong) and the last I heard Torriefied wood doesn’t need anything. (Like lacquered maple necks)

dbrian66 and Robb like this.
  5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have a LP with PF, it feels a little more smooth to me than my RW fretboards.

I had a Bullet Mustang with IL for a bit, and it seemed slightly rougher than RW to me.

Both are/were close enough to RW to not bother me. If the color had looked like RW and the description on the hang tags said rosewood, I'm not sure I would have ever thought twice about it.

Now, I do have a Monoprice guitar, with mystery fretboard, and I've got some experience with Harley Benton (another mystery "wood?") and I'll take IL or PF over those mysteries any day.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I dunno, Dan... I gave that a shot on my Bullet Mustang, and while it looked pretty good at first, it sure as hell didn't last...

daan and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    I somehow stumbled into 5 I think... I have 2 Xavierre LP types (one Florentine), 2 differently modded Squier Tele Standards, and one HT Bullet Strat.

Honestly, when I got the first one I was a little bummed that it wasn't as dark and was a little more streaky, but now I have to say that I like them fine. I don't think I'd bother paying a premium for real rosewood.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Well that’s weird... not to be argumentative, but I fiebing-Ed several necks, and the dye never rubbed off any of them...

dbrian66 and SquierTap like this.
  9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I don't doubt ya, brother... But I have the worst "guitar luck" of anyone I know, lol... So that may be it...

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I've got to figure the results you're getting are very much like what some of the newer Indian rosewood boards have - there's a light shine like a waxed, impregnated sealer on the wood.

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Yes.

Of course if you treat your fretboard with linseed oil it buffs out nicely as well. I've been using linseed oil since it was recommended when I bought my first real guitar, circa 1974/1975.

dbrian66 and wonkenstein like this.
  12. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I've been a dyed in the wool linseed oil fan for a long time, too. But I'm going to go with your shoe polish trick - I haven't tried it yet but it's a hell of a good idea - makes perfectly good sense to use it right after a deep clean. And I've got a Tele neck that needs a deep cleaning anyway. I've done a similar thing with bee's wax for folks who prefer no finish (or have severely worn finish) on their maple boards. Bee's wax doesn't really change the appearance of a worn in maple board, helps to preserve the feel and look of it for what it is and helps to bring back some of that slippery feel we like.

dbrian66 and BlueSquirrel like this.
  13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Forgot to say that bee's wax buffs out to a soft shine....

dbrian66 likes this.
  14. LittleGiant

LittleGiant Squier-Meister

Apr 4, 2019
    Norway
    Is this linseed oil the same as the one used in food?

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Nice colour SG never seen this colour of an Epiphone SG before

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have a 2017 Bullet Tele that I have been told is Indian Laurel, but it looks and feels like rosewood to me. If it is IL, than I have no problem with it!

271BC279-3252-4BF7-A55C-DDF6BDD8677F.jpeg 549B8BBA-B68A-4DF1-9E9C-AAA74D119251.jpeg

Jim Belaye likes this.
  17. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Not that I'm aware of. I would not ingest it. You can find small, relatively expensive bottles in the art paint section. For a larger quantity at a far cheaper price, buying once for all you'll need ever in hardware in the painting section. A quart should last a lifetime of regular use, if you don't move and leave it constantly,LOL.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Usually the stuff people use on their guitars is not food grade, but apart from the small factor of it being "pure" or "food safe" it's the same, yeah.

Some places call it flax, or flax seed (flaxseed) oil.

"In foods, flaxseed oil is used as cooking oil and in margarines.

In manufacturing, flaxseed oil is used as an ingredient in paints, varnishes, linoleum, and soap; and as a waterproofing agent."

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-990/flaxseed-oil

dbrian66 likes this.
  19. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    The fretboard on Brian May's Red Special is oak. So there's that.

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Squier-Meister

Apr 15, 2019
    SACRAMENTO. Ca usas
    Indian laurel has a Janka hardness rating of 2350 lb., similar to most rosewood and ebony species. Pau Ferro is a little softer, but @ 1960 lb. rating it is plenty hard enough. Although my playing style doesn't include much skin to fingerboard contact, I find the pau ferro and laurel warmer to the touch than ebony.

dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice