Pau Ferro and Laurel

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by blackspider57, May 10, 2019.

1. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Well, I now have two guitars with fingerboards made from something I had never owned before.
    The Gretsch G2420 has Laurel (no Indian)
    and the Duo-Sonic has Pau Ferro.
    Both work just fine
    feels fine, and other than the lighter shade on the Pau Ferro look great.
    I am always happy to try something new and different,
    and even happier when I like it.:)

kenneth, Taurus, SquierTap and 6 others like this.
  2. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I've been playing the heck out of my 2018 Epi G-400 Deluxe Pro with a pau ferro fingerboard.

Its hard wearing and smooths out fast, at least with my ham fisted style. This quality has caused me to overlook any bias against it being a lighter shade. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

kenneth, Biddlin, Taurus and 4 others like this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I have a guitar with a baked maple fretboard. I thought it would taste like a maple-glazed ham, but it tastes like wood.

oneLOCOman, LDS714, kenneth and 14 others like this.
  4. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Not too chewy? Water based fiber is supposed to be good for cleaning out the system.... but then again there's Shredded Wheat.....

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I'm right there w/ you @blackspider57

I have 3 so far (1 IL, 2 PF), happy w/ all of them - yeah, it doesn't quite look like rosewood, but its similar enough, and feels the same (IMO) ... close enough for Rock and Roll!! :)

6. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I was dead against the new stuff but bought the bullet Mustang with Indian Laurel. It is very similar to Rosewood. I do not have any complaints.

kenneth, SquierTap, Robb and 2 others like this.
  7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    All kidding aside, instruments I've tried with a Pao Ferro board felt pretty good to me, but I still don't have one yet. I recently picked up a Takamine G77K electric/acoustic - this one's built in China, koa body, mahogany neck and a laurel fingerboard. It's a really nicely made guitar and has a very balanced tone. Honestly can't say whether the fingerboard wood actually influenced the sound.

Laurel is definitely a drier wood than the rosewood varieties we've all gotten used to, but after I played it a few times I got comfortable with the feel of it. As soon as I get sick of the strings it came with I'll treat the board with a little oil. I'm guessing over time with some wear-in and a regular dose of finger funk and periodic cleaning and treating she's going to be pretty good.

Robb and dbrian66 like this.
  8. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    The ones I’ve played felt fine but we’re ugly. Maybe it was just the few I saw cause some pics I’ve seen actually looked pretty good. I’ve also never been a fan of whatever Rickenbacker used. The boards always seemed to have an orange tint to them.

wonkenstein and dbrian66 like this.
  9. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I have only had my Duo-Sonic for a few days.
    The Pau Ferro fingerboard feels great,
    but every time I look at it I can't help but think
    "Who spilled the chocolate milk on it"???:)
    P1030064.JPG

LittleGiant, kenneth, Biddlin and 7 others like this.
  10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s a great looking guitar!

Biddlin, SquierTap and BlueSquirrel like this.
  11. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Yummy!

dbrian66 and SquierTap like this.
  12. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    My LBP MIM Std has a Pau Ferro and I like it a lot. It's very similar to a Rosewood FB, IMO.

Fender LPB_3.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Taurus, T5854, dbrian66 and 4 others like this.
  13. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2019
    Germany
    I haven't owned or even played a guitar with Indian Laurel or with Pau Ferro,
    I just don't like the light brown color.
    As long as I can afford and get Rosewood or Ebony I won't try

dbrian66, Robb and wonkenstein like this.
  14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I don't yet have either. Buying mostly NC / YN Squiers, and older Jay Turser /Austin guitars, they all predate the CITES nonsense. That being said, I do look forward to trying one of the newer use fretboard woods.

I have used a varietion of the Kiwi brown shoe polish trick to even out staining on Rosewood. I wonder if it would also work to darken the fretboards, especially since apparently they are unsealed just like rosewood. It seems to me like they would work the same.

Hey, as long as it ain't maple or burnt maple, its good with me.

dbrian66 and wonkenstein like this.
  15. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Tradition! Well, it's true, there is no comparison to the feel of Brazilian rosewood or ebony - they are woods that have more natural oils in them and they are harder woods so the makers can get a smoother surface when they're radius sanded. I have a few older guitars and I know what you mean. Speaking of chocolate brown, most of the ebony is not truly 100% black. For years the makers have dyed or stained it that way. In its normal state most varieties of ebony are dark chocolate to caramel color with some black and yellowish white streaks depending on the cut. It's a gorgeous wood. One of the makers who doesn't dye their ebony boards is Taylor.

nicod98, dbrian66, Robb and 1 other person like this.
  16. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Nice tip!
    However I suppose it would stain your hands if you did it on a fretboard, wouldn't it?

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I can see where the Kiwi Brown would do a nice job on an Indian rosewood board - makes sense - it's a good sealer once it's buffed out. I wonder if you used Kiwi Cordovan or Ox Blood on Indian if you could get it close to what a '60s Brazilian rosewood used to be?
    One of the tricks used today to make an ebony board jet black is rub in some black India ink..... dye the wood. After it's fully dried and you've got some oil on it, it seals well and lasts a long time with playing wear and periodic dressing. That shoe polish trick sounds like a winner though!

dbrian66, SquierTap and Robb like this.
  18. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    If anyone here attempts this, post pics. Please.

dbrian66 and SquierTap like this.
  19. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I use nitrile gloves when I'm cleaning and dressing the wood on the fret boards. Also I've found that if you like the look of your Indian rosewood board and it's dark enough already, the lighter lemon oil isn't going to make it much darker. As soon as it dries and you buff it out it's just about where it was. If you do want a darker hue I've found that boiled linseed oil will do that for you. Just put it on lightly across the grain until the wood won't drink anymore, wipe it dry, then buff it out. I still really like Jefffam's shoe polish trick..... I've got a neck that needs a good deep cleaning. Worth a try!

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I've done both sides of necks using both Kiwi brown and Cordovan. Once the application is finished and buffed out, I've never noticed any residue on my hands from playing a treated neck.

dbrian66, SquierTap and wonkenstein like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice