Partscaster Bigsby?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Kyletrick13, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Kyletrick13

Kyletrick13 Squier Talker

Aug 27, 2017
    Australia
    Hey everyone,
    I'm looking to fit a Bigsby copy and a roller bridge like you would see on an Epiphone or something on my partscaster muck around guitar. It has a hard tail bridge and the strings go through the body but I'm not too fussed if theres gonna be holes left behind when I take it off (which there will be). I just wanted to make sure it would work though, with these considerations to take into account,

1.) is the space at the base of the guitar big enough to hold a Bigsby and a roller bridge?

2.) will the intonation be ok if I just put the roller bridge where the bridge on the guitar is now? I understand I'll have to drill new holes. And will I put it on an angle like Gibson guitar or straight?

3.) will the height of the roller bridge even being flat on the guitar be low enough or will I have to shim the neck to make the action lower?

Cheers in advance for any help :))

Cheers,
    Kyle.
    IMG_1218.JPG

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    It can be done, but there are some challenges..
    1. Yes there is enough space.
    2. Intonation will be fine. The critical part is locating and drilling the stud holes. A slight angle is fine, but there is one pretty inexpensive roller that has plenty of range and can be mounted straight. Also, a no-hole solution is a low-riding floating bridge.
    3. Most TOM-styles are high on a Fender body, so a little shimming is typical. That, or routing out a groove to seat the bridge.
    There’s more to it of course, let us know what you think..

Kyletrick13 and Robb like this.