Parlor Guitar fix? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by surfrodguitar, Jan 12, 2018.

1. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Hey guys! I got this guitar a few years ago, paid too much, played it for a bit than the bridge broke. My question is how should I repair it? I don’t want to put much into it. I can get a new bridge for like $20 and do the repair myself.

I’m thinking take the existing bridge off using steam than clamp, glue the new bridge and hopefully it will stay.

Thoughts?

IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG

TGIF!!
    Rod

2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I would glue the piece back as-is. Seriously.

And in the unlikely event that fails, then go through the trouble of removing and installing a new one.

corn and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I like that idea better. I’ll do it. Thanks!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Looks like it may have a few other issues than just the bridge being broken, Bridge looks like it has been glued on repaired at some point.
    I would take it off and fit a new one, I wouldnt go anywhere near the bridge with steam though as chances are you will loosen the bracing, looks like a scalpel and thin palette knife kind of a job to me.
    Good luck man.

5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Pretty much what Dan Erlewine recommends in his book, short of having an exact replacement made for a valuable vintage guitar. Titebond yellow wood glue and clamps.

If you decide to replace it don't use steam, a palette knife as mentioned above.

6. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Also.. don't break out or clean up that break. leave it as is.

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    From what I can see in the pics, I'd glue it back together with yellow carpenter's glue, and clamp..
    If you decide to remove the bridge use a hot knife..They glued those old guitars with hot hide glue..

8. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I am going to try it this weekend. Just gotta figure out the clamp situation. All my clamps are not wide enough. I don't want to spend a grip on clamps. Oh there goes my cheapness again. But to be fair, I got screwed when I bought this thing so I need to be cheap as I am in deep.

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  9. Count

Count Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Australia
    Ditto with glue it, keep it as original as possible and all the bits look as though they ar ethere so it should glue ok. Try a dry run using a couple of bulldog clips across the bridge first, they might do the job of clamping it. There looks as though there is just enough flat surface for them to get a grip on. That top nut looks "interesting".

10. Count

Count Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Australia
    This might be of interest:

11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I suggest yellow glue also - and since you don't have a lot of fancy clamps - you have to get creative - use gravity and the weight of the guitar to apply pressure - and blue masking tape ! I have brought a few back from the dead !

fattboyzz and surfrodguitar like this.
  12. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Thanks going to be my plan. I was just at the hardware store and they don’t have anything deep enough so I’ll have to get creative. Hoping I can bring this thing back to life. I love the body size.

Kenneth Mountain and Caddy like this.
  13. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel

14. sbalfor

sbalfor Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    If he has to take it off, instead of steam or a air blown heat gun, anyone tried a hot clothes iron (no steam) and set it against the bridge until the glue loosens ? That would apply heat just to the bridge it was in contact with. Never
    tried that though.

LDS714 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. Count

Count Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Australia
    Hot iron applied to bridge heats up the whole bridge before it gets to the glue underneath. Speaking from experience. A fine nozzle on a heat gun so that the heat is directed exactly at the glue works better but you wtill have to be extremely careful and it does not work well when there is any width to the piece being loosened as it does not penetrate under the bridge without unwanted heat going to the soundboard struts. A warm palate knife and care is the safest but also slowest. If it has been glued with anything other than hide glue then you start looking at solvents and cotton buds which is a whole new ball game with it's own problems. It is advisable to get a small mirror on a handle and a have a look inside the body to see if there are any sneaky screws holding the bridge to the soundboard from underneath.

16. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Well I did it. I’ll report back end of the weekend after it sets. What do you guys suggest for strings? Think I’ll need a light gauge? Keep the pressure light?

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Yes, light strings..
    Did you lay a straight edge across the top to check for flatness ??

18. surfrodguitar

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Yes, pretty straight.

19. Count

Count Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Australia
    I’m using Ernie Ball Esrthwood Blues and Rock strings on my (modern) Parlour and they have made it come alive.

20. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Nice looking guitar. How did it play/sound prior to the mishap?