Parents Music

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by dbrian66, Jan 10, 2019.

1. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    When I was little, my mom was always playing here 45’s on the record player. She was born in 1941, so her teen years were in the late 50’s. A lot of good music came out of that era. She instilled in me a love of the oldies, both country and rock and roll. But one song, for whatever reason, stands out for me. “The Leader of the Pack” by the Shangri Las. I still love it today every time I hear it. Is there any song from your childhood that you remember your parents playing around the house growing up?

cool gouhl, RoyalWe, Taurus and 5 others like this.
  2. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I remember Buck Owens and Roy Clark on Hee Haw.I used to sit and watch it every Saturday night.

corn, newscaster, jamndad and 2 others like this.
  3. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    What I love most about parents music is that it has now become my music.

I thank my father for all the good music he put on since I can remember being in the crib (Pink Floyd - Echoes - '85).

Who knows what would have become of me if it hadn't been for him:cool:

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, that was a weekly event at my house as well. It’s funny to watch it now as an adult. I understand why my dad liked it so much! :)

jamndad and squierplayer like this.
  5. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I had an aunt that operated a record press for RCA in Rockway New Jersey. She was a constant source of free albums when I was growing up.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Even though this was played a total of once in my house while growing up, IIRC, its still the standout song.

I'm also in agreement with Brian Wilson that its the high water mark of all pop songs.

Caddy, CVSteve and dbrian66 like this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s definitely a good one.

8. edchavez

edchavez Squier-Meister

May 2, 2013
    Arkansas
    I remember hearing these when I was a kid from the country station my mom listened to and dad's records...

fattboyzz, dbrian66 and squierplayer like this.
  9. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    . I like Leon's version best. I'm not saying that Bob Wills is not great, Just like Leon's version better.
    Jail House Rock.... Duh.
    Folsum Prison Blues, I played this song every time I played. Killed all ages. Man, little kids to old ladies hit the floor for this one.That guy was good.
    Having grown up (kinda') in the 60's I know I left out at least a thousand songs. These are the ones that stand out. Then I heard Jimi.:cool:
    Edit to say, I wish I still had my dad's records.

dbrian66 and wildelectric like this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

You're lucky... My parents watched the Lawrence Welk Show every Sunday. That was their kind of music.

11. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    My parents played a lot of Music when I was Growing up the one I liked the best was Take Five By Dave Brubeck quartet

CVSteve, dadams18, Triple Jim and 2 others like this.
  12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Erroll Garner "Concert by the Sea" is still one of my all time favorite albums.

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Just yesterday I was saying that Joe Morello is probably my favorite drummer. That was an excellent group.

Caddy and dbrian66 like this.
  14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    The "record player" of my childhood was a hand cranked Victrola..With the big horn on top of it..I don't recall my parents using it though..That was my main way of learning to play..So I guess you could say it was mine..
    I'd sometimes recruit one of my younger siblings to turn the crank for me while I struggled to play in tune with it..It changed pitch according to the speed of the turnstile..
    The records were ones that I bought or were given to me..All cowboy and hillbilly music..That was the music that my parents listened to when we were fortunate enough to have electricity to play the radio..
    I don't recall any one particular song..I still remember most of them and play or sing them often..

cool gouhl, corn, CVSteve and 5 others like this.
  15. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    My parents wanted myself and my brother involved in music when I was growing up. Their taste was , what it was. It ran to a lot of The Carpenters, John Denver & ONJ. I still enjoy them even during the times it was not cool. Funny, neither have any particular taste of what had to be their formative years music. They did do Lawrence Welk weekly, and Hee Haw.

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I had three totally different musical experiences. The first, when the am radio was on in the car (the only there was back then, btw), were of top ten tunes of the type my mom enjoyed.

"16 Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford stuck in my brain. The melody, but also the words.

And "Sh-Boom" - the version by the Crew Cuts was the one played locally. The Chords version, though, was I think the original. I do not know if I ever heard it on the local radio.

Then came the influence of my older sister. She was just old enough to be Elvis crazy. Painted "Elvis" on the rear fender of her bicycle. "Elvis, Elvis, Elvis". That was all she talked about for I do not know how long.

I didn't care for him much then. Likely because my sister did.

The third influence was also, like the am radio stuff, from my mom. She was a total nut for Gilbert & Sullivan operettas. A love that she passed onto me. And living in NY we'd go to shows, especially when the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company visited from London.

I still love those shows. WS Gilbert's extraordinary wit and Arthur Sullivan's infectious melodies and often ingenious harmonies and melodic counterpoints -- sometimes telling between them two contradictory opinions at once.

Or in this case THREE separate opinions about who should willingly volunteer to have his head cut off.

aaed003800_1024x1024.jpeg

My love for rock came later. 1961? Really only after I'd taken up guitar.

-don

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  17. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    My folks were from Oklahoma and were born in the mid 30s. We had a steady stream of Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, etc. I was very surprised when in the late 70s my Father told he he liked Somebody to Love by Queen. Didn't see that coming.

18. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
  19. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Meister

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Same here. :( But I managed to find my own way in spite it. ;)

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I did too, but to my parents it was "just noise"... like what I say about some current "music". :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice