Paint Chips, Dings, Dents?

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by coprod, Dec 4, 2019.

1. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
    So where did you get this Motip? hardware store,auto paint store,WalMart?

2. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    I buyed it in a paint store. Don’t know if they are available in your contry, google will tell you.

duggerh likes this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Motip automotive color

I'm interested. I can't find it here in the USA.

Any other alternatives? I have an NC4 Bullet coming in with some chips that I want to fill, and then repaint.

I guess I can use bondo. Can anyone in the States post a link of good filler material?

I need about another $6 worth of purchases on Amazon to get free shipping on a small purchase. Thanks. :)

4. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire Pub
    It's called Dupli-Color here. ;)

Eddie likes this.
  5. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I spent six weeks repairing the clear finish of a 70s telecaster, because of a couple of dings, and fading... person didn’t want a refinish, just a repair... it would’ve been way easier to refinish it.

I no longer have any interest in painting or refinishing guitars...
    I’ll clean, and polish it up, and if it’s got a couple of little nicks, I might sharpie them… But anything bigger than a fingernail clipping stays exactly as it is.

DrBeGood and Eddie like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I just want to mess around with re-painting to get different colors. I'm tired of black and white, and an occasional dakota red.

I want a pack of Skittles for guitars. Orange is in the works. Lime Green is coming up next.

Bob the builder likes this.
  7. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    That would be something to behold! I lack the patience and craft expertise to do a refin. I hate the process of getting a chip or ding, but you can’t wrap them in cotton wool, it’s all part of the ageing process.

Eddie likes this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    After years of encouragement by the forum members, I'm finally doing a re-paint. I'm not removing the current finish. That would be the ultimate. I'm just painting over the current surface. It'll be fine.

I have an NC4 coming in to me with quite a bit of chips. Those will need to be filled before I repaint. I'm working on a bag of Skittles of guitars. :)

9. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    I'd call it "mojo" and play it til the strings fell off ;)

10. Raabje

Raabje Squier Talker

Oct 1, 2019
    Amsterdam
    I recently bought a Squier Jagmaster with dings and chips just like the photo in post number 1. It was on the back, in the black colored zone of the sunburst color scheme. The raw wood was visible in a large spot, and some smaller chips and dings around it.

I filled it with black nailpolish, 6-7 layers, to make the surface flat again. Result is good enough, it is the back and bottom of the guitar. When it was still damaged I was distracted, now with the repair I don´t think about it anymore. So that would be my advice, fill it with a couple of layers nailpolish, Plenty of colors available to find the right match.

Eddie likes this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yeah, same here. I usually just fill it in with nail polish. Works like a charm. No one knows and no one cares. ha ha. Only me.

Raabje likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice